• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I read the "The Faerie Queene" poem by Edmund Spenser last month and had to analyze the book and its characters. I got scared, but then I found https://edubirdie.com/write-my-paper where great academic experts work. They helped me write my paper and get a good grade for the presented book. So this is a valuable source for any student. Just try it when you need to write some papers.

Edited by EsperanzaQueSperai

On 1/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, jeffreyk said:

Several years ago, I decided to stop reading print comics and graphic novels and went digital with the Marvel and DC Apps.  It was a lot cheaper and the books looked very nice on my tablet.  While I enjoy the Apps, I miss the holding of a book and seeing a true printed page.  I just ordered a bunch of Marvel and DC Omnibus books and am looking forward to reading them. I dont know if I will read 500 individual comics in the omnibus' this year, but I am going to have a great time reading as much as time allows!  Happy New Year everyone!

A quick update.  So far I have read:

Venom Omnibus Vol 1   - 44 issues

Amazing Spiderman by Micheline and McFarlane Omnibus  - 35 issues

Nuke Em Classic Cold War Comics Celebrating End of World HC - includes: 

Atomic War 1-4 

World War III 1-2

All the books were good.  The omnibus books are terrific, nice page quality and contain complete runs of a storyline or writer.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:37 AM, srezvan said:

83 comics this year.

GI Joe Vol 13: A bit of a lower quality book overall compared to the previous volume. The heavy focus on Ninja Force isn't ideal. How can there be so many ninjas? The redesign of characters like Firefly are really "90s stylized" and don't hold up today. Firefly's original costume was iconic. Still a good read, but the series is making some changes that I don't love.

20230318_070257.jpg

Ive never read any of the GI Joe book but seeing you post them makes me want to read them. But it seems like most are OOP...

Also there can NEVER be enough Ninjas!!!

On 3/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, Raze said:

Ive never read any of the GI Joe book but seeing you post them makes me want to read them. But it seems like most are OOP...

Also there can NEVER be enough Ninjas!!!

My favorite part of this thread is the commentary on the comics people are reading, not the number of comics. I'm constantly adding to my read list.

Even with a little bit of dated material, I still recommend the GI Joe series. I loved the toys, trading cards, and cartoons as a kid, but never read any of the comics. There are some real gems in there, but it's not all fantastic.

The books can be hard to find. The first 5 are somewhat easier since they were published twice. I still don't have #15, but I'm sure I'll get it at a good price. I'm patient. I may buy the ebook (I think they are $5 on Amazon) so I can get the series done while it's fresh in my mind while keeping an eye out for the paperback.

And, yes, you can have too many ninjas. The Joes are killing dozens and dozens of ninjas. Logistically, how do you train and equip that many ninjas?

Dark Knight Strikes Again 1 - 3

Miller’s idea seemed to be that he was trying something different and wanted to shake things up a bit and be somewhat unpredictable, but this is basically a very bad story, especially from an all-time great, well outside his noir-and-ninja comfort zone. 

At times the bigfoot art style is okay, but then you reach half a dozen or so incomprehensible pages which look like they’ve been scribbled out in Sharpie by a three-year-old.

The women are generally written as submissive characters and drawn in hyper-sexualised poses, and there’s an air of misogyny at times.

There’s the common trope of a literal Superman going up against the wrongs of an oppressive regime, basic Nietzsche 101 as commonly interpreted for comics, again.

First time I’ve ever read it. From a non-iconic creator it’d be bargain bin fodder.

On 3/18/2023 at 8:52 AM, EsperanzaQueSperai said:

Hey everyone, I'm new here.
So, I've had Ronin series in my collection for a while now, but I never really got around to reading it until recently. I have to say, I'm really glad I finally did! The first six books were a great read, and I particularly enjoyed Miller's art style.
I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed with Book Six. I was hoping for a bit more out of it, but it didn't quite deliver in the way I was expecting(
Nonetheless, I still found it to be a pretty enjoyable conclusion to the series overall.
Have any of you read this series? - If I'm not wrong, I saw on a previous page like someone also told smth about this series.

This was good Frank Miller. For me, as a read it fit in more with some of the European, Heavy Metal material I was buying at the time. 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, jeffreyk said:

Nuke Em Classic Cold War Comics Celebrating End of World HC - includes: 

Atomic War 1-4 

World War III 1-2

Bedtime reading.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:58 PM, Turnando said:

Ready for a weekend of Descender

20230203_125520.jpg

Then, no doubt another weekend of Ascender later in the year.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:47 AM, Raze said:

5481894B-DD3F-424B-A3BA-C8AAA387E9FF.jpeg

Nice. I’ve always wanted to see an authentic comics adaptation of the King James Version.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sandman Universe ; The Dreaming Vol 1 , Pathways and Emanations

= Sandman Universe 1, The Dreaming 1 to 6

2023 total = 10

A fairly slow-moving fantasy comic, not as good as Simon Spurrier’s brilliant Hellblazer series, but an okay read.

That said, Bilquis Evely’s artwork is great, having a style perfectly suited to fantasy material, with a hint of Mike Kaluta in it.

Ambush Bug Year None 1 to 6

A bit of a disappointment compared to the brilliant original mini-series from back in the 80s, as the jokes and bizarre situations, unlike in those back then, didn’t land and do much for me.

Perhaps it was just something that ran out of steam and was best in very limited doses.

2023 total = 16

89 comics so far this year.

Kill Lock Vol. 1: I'm a big fan of the author/illustrator. He does great Transformers and Star Wars art (among other things), but I've never read anything that he's written. I was pleasantly surprised by the story. Basically a society of robots. Different classes of robots do different jobs. When robots severely break laws, four robots get "kill locked" together, meaning if one dies, they all die. How do they handle that punishment? There are a few minor things that I didn't like (e.g., robots consuming alcohol doesn't make sense to me), but the overall story was very enjoyable and the art was terrific. I recommend this TPB. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

20230318_160750.jpg

Continuing my revisit of the entire IDW Transformers universe, I finished up IDW Collection Phase One Volumes 2-8 as of last night, which is about 113 individual comics, bringing my 2023 total to 132. Not great, but I think pacing ahead of where I was last year.

The Phase 1 reread was as spotty as I expected. Some pretty great stuff, but lots of mediocrity as well. Reading it all in a straight shot, with several years of books condensed into a reading period of a few weeks, it really laid bare just how schizophrenic the Phase 1 stories were, with writer and artist switch-ups, soft reboots, and tonal shifts. It really doesn't hang together as a single story, at all. I know a lot of people are loyal to Simon Furman, since he'd written TF for so long, but I found his stories the least appealing, especially when trying to shoehorn in human characters. It was pretty thin soup. The assorted spotlight books were entertaining as they tended to focus on the actual Transformers, which is what I'm there for. Apparently a lot of folks didn't care for All Hail Megatron, but I enjoyed it. It was a pretty wild shift from the previous storytelling style, and provided some cheap thrills. I'm also understanding that a lot of people apparently didn't care for Mike Costa's run that followed, but I have to say, aside from the fact that the final storyline seemed very rushed, I really enjoyed it.

SO, yeah, a real mixed bag, but I enjoyed it more often than not.

I just started up Phase 2 volume 1, and was instantly reminded why I loved those stories so much. What a joy, I'm so anxious to revisit all of these stories again, as well as catch the ones I missed previously. These are some great comics.

Edited by F For Fake

On 3/22/2023 at 8:09 PM, srezvan said:

89 comics so far this year.

Kill Lock Vol. 1: I'm a big fan of the author/illustrator. He does great Transformers and Star Wars art (among other things), but I've never read anything that he's written. I was pleasantly surprised by the story. Basically a society of robots. Different classes of robots do different jobs. When robots severely break laws, four robots get "kill locked" together, meaning if one dies, they all die. How do they handle that punishment? There are a few minor things that I didn't like (e.g., robots consuming alcohol doesn't make sense to me), but the overall story was very enjoyable and the art was terrific. I recommend this TPB. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

20230318_160750.jpg

Ive wanted to read this, but haven’t seen it at my LCS. Maybe Ill have to order it.