• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

Afterlife With Archie 1 to 10

2023 total = 70

For an Archie comic, this is absolutely astonishing. Highly recommended.

Brilliant reimagining, good story and art.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Previous Count - 215

Something is Killing the Children 29-30  Have I mentioned how annoying it is when you go from "Part 4" of a story title to "Part 1" of a different story title, but it's still part of the same storyline??? Well, it's also annoying to have a couple months break and still not finish the story that you made me think was over before.

Fantastic Four 240-244
Avengers 217-221

Finally reached the point on these series where I had started back reading comics again in college, so I decided not to reread a bunch of stuff, given how many comics there are here in the house I haven't read the first time.

Marvel Teamup 115-130
Amazing Spider-Man 225-239
Spectacular Spider-Man 64-79

Apparently I didn't pick up on the Spidey titles back then, so I still have some stuff I hadn't read before (first Hobgoblin!). I've been surprised how long it's been since we last saw Mary Jane (only a brief cameo with her and her aunt at a beach resort somewhere in one of those titles recently).

Okay, that's it for this month, looks like... 60 this month, so the new total is... 275.

So, not as far along as I had hoped, but doing okay I think.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:18 PM, srezvan said:

119 comics so far this year. Jeff Smith is doing an event in my state this week, so I used that as an excuse to finally read the books. A little bit of a slow start, but it really picks up and is a great read overall. I'll probably pick up an omni from him so I can finish the series.

A lot of people I knew really liked Bone, so I gave it a try and didn't really get into it. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough.

On 5/4/2023 at 6:45 PM, ttfitz said:

A lot of people I knew really liked Bone, so I gave it a try and didn't really get into it. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough.

I only started reading it because Jeff was coming to town and I had 3 TPBs on my shelf. First 2-3 issues, I wasn't feeling. I started to enjoy it a lot more a few issues in. The TPBs stop at issue 18, and by then I was hooked. I'll get back to it after I finish my current books.

Earth X Trilogy

Earth X issues 0, 1 to 12, X (14)

Universe X issues 0, 1 to 12, X, Universe X Cap, 4, Spidey, Beasts and Iron Men one-shots (19)

Paradise X issues 0, 1 to 12, A,  X, Universe X Heralds 1 to 3, Xen, Devils and Ragnarok (21)

(54 in total)

2023 total = 124

Liked Earth X. A very good cosmic / mutant storyline under a lot of dense, comparative, heavy-going philosophy, using two narrators with polar opposite opinions about the value of humanity.  Great artwork from the underrated John Paul Leon. Possibly, the entire trilogy might seem to go by at a treacle-like pace for a lot of readers, as the complexity of the story soon requires many expository double pages illustrating and discussing the history of one character or team after another, and that of the Marvel universe itself, past and future, in order for those unfamiliar with Marvel’s decades of storylines and retcons to even be able to follow what’s going on. Also, the story keeps deviating into one-shot specials, which in the original comics creates a choppy, back-and-forth reading order. Universe X likewise has some interesting ideas and nice art from Dougie Braithwaite, but its destructive conclusion leads to a third section, Paradise X, where for me it all falls apart; reconstruction, world building, literally, that seems to offer a completely unconvincing solution to what’s gone before, and it’s all about the usual conceits, that humanity and what we do is ever so important and consequential to everything else on a universal and even multiversal scale, and just descended into cliché under all the pretension.

Edited by Ken Aldred

61 comics read in March and 76 comics read in in April, for a total of 359 comics read in 2023

March 2023
Damn Them All 4
Daredevil 8
DC Horror Sgt Rock vs Army of the dead 4
Eve Children of the Moon 4
Family Time 3
Fear of A Red Planet 2
GCPD The Blue Wall 3
Harrower 1
Hulk 11
Immortal Sergeant 1
Invincible Iron Man 2
It's only Teenage Wasteland 3
James Bond 007 6
Joe Fixit 4
Lovesick 4
Minor Threats 4
Miracleman The Silver Age 4
Monarch 1
Moon Knight 20
My Bad V2 1-3
Namor Conquered Shores 4-5
Old Dog 3
Once upon a time at the end of the world 3
Punisher 09
Red Goblin 1
Resident Alien Book of Love 1-3
Scarlet Witch 2
Secret Invasion 1-4
Silver Surfer Ghost Light 1
Sins of Sinister 1
Space Job 1
Star Trek 4
Star Wars Darth Vader 31
Star Wars - Han Solo & Chewbacca 09
Star Wars Yoda 3
Stranger Things Tales from Hawkins 1
The Approach 4
The Dead Lucky 5
The Human Target 10-11
The Joker the man who stopped laughing 4
The Nice house on the lake 12
The Riddler year one 2
The Sandman Universe Dead Boy Detectives 1
The Walking Dead Deluxe 55-56
There's Something wrong with Patrick Hill 4
Traveling to Mars 3
Where Monsters lie 1
White Savior 1
Who is Miracleman 1
Young Hellboy Assault on Castle Death 4

April 2023
Alien 6
Almighty 2
Batman & The Joker - The Deadly Duo 4
Batman Fortress 8
Batman legends of Gotham 1
Batman One Bad Day - Bane 1
Batman One Bad Day - Catwoman 1
Billionaire Island Cult of Dogs 4
Black Panther 15
Black Tape 2
Blood Tree 2
Blue Book 1
Bulls of Beacon Hill 2
Captain America - Sentinel of Liberty 10
Castle full of Blackbirds 4
Children of the Black Sun 3
Damn them All 5
DC Horror Sgt Rock vs Army of the dead 5
Eight Billion Genies 7
Eve Children of the Moon 5
Fantastic Four 4+5
Fear of a Red Planet 3
Fragmentation (4 comics)
GCPD the Blue Wall 4
Godfell 1
Grim 8
Hallow's Eve 1
Hellboy in Love 3
Hulk 12
I am Iron Man 1
Ice Cream Man 34
Immortal Sergeant 2
Invincible Iron Man 3
Junkyard Joe 5
Ladies with Guns 1-2 (6 comics)
Local Man 1
Lovesick 5
Monica Rambeau Photon 3
Moon Knight 21
Mosely 2
Once upon a time at the end of the world 4
Parker Girls 5
Phantom Road 1
Planet Hulk WorldBreaker 4
Predator 1
Punisher War Journal - Base
Resident Alien - The Book of Love 4
Revolvers 4
Scarlet Witch 3
She-Hulk 10
Silver Surfer Ghost Light 2
Space Job 2
Specs 4
Star Wars 31+32
Star Wars - Darth Vader 31
Star Wars - Han Solo & Chewbacca 10
Star Wars the Mandalorian 8
Star Wars Yoda 4
The Joker the man who stopped laughing 5
The Sandman Universe Dead Boy Detectives 2
The Walking Dead Deluxe 57-58
Torrent 1
Travelling to Mars 4
Trojan 2
Where Monsters lie 2

Edited by chromium

Transmetropolitan 1 to 24

2023 total = 148

Great cyberpunk comics, with lots of interesting ideas and lively dialogue. Fascinating protagonist; cynical, hedonistic, has a go at anything he despises in the world around him. Darick Robertson’s art is good, as well.

448-484.  Amazing Spider-Man vol 1 #341 - 377

485. Batman & the Joker The Deadly Duo #7

486. Batman vol 3 #135

487. Immortal X-Men #11

488. Walking Dead Deluxe #62

489. Parker Girls #7

490. Amazing Spider-Man vol 6 #25

491. Daredevil vol 7 #11

492. Nemesis Reloaded #5

493. Nocterra #14

494. Saga #64

495. Sandman: Nightmare Country - The Glass House #2

496. Wolverine vol 7 #33

Animal Man (1988 series) 1 to 26

2023 total = 174

Classic story from Grant Morrison.  Starts with an inventive reimagining of the origin, dips a bit in the middle - environmental and which comes over quite preachy, and then ties up everything that’s gone before nicely with a great application of the ‘World as Simulation’ theory to the comics medium, something which is more mainstream, well-known and relevant now than it was in the early 90s.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Some recent comic and comic-adjacent reads.

• One of Those Days - a compilation of the web comic, which I had no exposure to. Fun artwork and concept. The book was described as a story in one of the descriptions, but I would argue it's not. These are single or double page slice of life spreads put into a loose sequence. One could argue that a comic must have images and that words are optional, but not really a debate I'm interested in having. Good artwork, but not what I expected.
  • Kill Lock: The Artisan Wraith - second TPB. Not as good as the first, but still entertaining.
  • Be More Vader - not as good as Be More Boba Fett.
  • Words for Pictures - a very helpful and interesting read. I liked this better than Understanding Comics and Making Comics.

20230425_053653.jpg

20230429_080306.jpg

20230507_055006.jpg

20230510_053436.jpg

Animal Man new 52 series 0, 1 to 11, Annual 1 

2023 total = 187

Quite bored by it.  Just Alan Moore’s brilliant Swamp Thing concepts, which I’ve read many times over the last four decades; the elemental / avatar, The Green, The Parliament of Trees, Tefe, transposed to an animal equivalent, with surreal, grotesque body horror artwork which I didn’t particularly like, certainly not on par with Bissette and Totleben’s. Moore was groundbreaking, this is just repetition under a thin veneer.

Both of these were a disappointment in terms of both artwork and story.

This brings me to 131 comics so far this year. It's actually a bit higher, as I'm reading the Bone omnibus (600 pages done, 700 to go), but I don't count the comics until it's all done. Also reading Chu TPBs to break things up.

20230516_124209.jpg

20230517_055744.jpg

The Good Asian 1 to 10

2023 total = 197

A good crime noir comic set in the 1930s, with a background emphasis on the anti-Chinese racial intolerance of the period.

Nice artwork.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:31 AM, Raze said:

111-138

Lady Killer vol 1-2 (10 issues)

Superman 125

Captain America 402-407 

ASM 119-120

VOH 16 & 24

TFTC 40 & 45

Exposed vol 1 no 2

Voodoo 5

Iron Man 101-102

Worlds Finest 135

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

Great selection there.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The Good Asian 1 to 10

2023 total = 197

A good crime noir comic set in the 1930s, with a background emphasis on the anti-Chinese racial intolerance of the period.

Nice artwork.

Is tis as good as infidel?