• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

Read Prisoners of the Sun.  A continuation of the adventure in Peru.

PrisonersOfTheSunPg1.thumb.jpg.dbd875fe90851b6e8698f416ac472bb9.jpg

A classic Tintin tale with lots of peril, twists, and turns culminating in their breaking into the inner sanctum of an ancient Inca temple.

PrisonersOfTheSunPg47.jpg.c6f9562f7b4c77d721be8f6fe1cdcd4c.jpg

All ends well and our heros are back on their way home to Europe.

Next up is Tintin in the Land of Black Gold.

Zero Hour : Crisis in Time

Showcase 94 issues 8 and 9 (two 10 page shorts introducing Extant = 1 book)

Zero Hour 1 to 4, and 0

Time gets obliterated with pretty much the same effect as we saw in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths.  The mastermind behind it was a surprise at the time, and I always found Dan Jurgens’ stories and dialogue at the very least entertaining. Not anywhere near as good as the 80s original, though.  Some of the art, Jurgens pencilling and Jerry Ordway inking, is actually excellent.  An interesting period piece in that it features quite a number of characters introduced in the 90s that didn’t take off at all, and have now faded into oblivion.

6 comics

2023 total = 435

The Losers 1 to 32

Book 1 is one of the best action-orientated comic books I’ve ever read.  Book 2 starts off with some back story about the team and then shifts emphasis more onto being a conspiracy theory. The villain goes a bit Dr Evil at the end, with an interesting twist to his story.  Didn’t think I’d like it as much as I did, but good stuff.

2023 total = 467

Shadows on the Grave 1 to 8

Richard Corben is one of my all-time favourite comic artists, and one of the best horror artists ever, but this was a very disappointing read.

Very much late period art from him, some of it still works really well, a lot of it I thought was mediocre.

The book was promoted as being a homage to the short stories published by EC in the 50s, but as a writer he’s no Al Feldstein, and the stories are predictable and quite vacuous throughout.  Nowhere near as good as the classic material he produced for Warren Magazines, in Creepy and Eerie, aided by far superior writers, and the comparison to the classic EC horror comics is a bit of a stretch, really.

2023 total = 475

bond.jpeg.c39b99cb132fbcd4a1af8a62d88699d4.jpeg

The main female character is Gann or 003. Apparently she was introduced in a previous series, 007 (2022). I didn't know this at first, but I could pick up what was going on well enough so I kept going. A big focus of this series seems to be introducing a lot of double 0 agents starting with issue one where a new 002 is shown. Let's just say Bond has a lot of enemies this time around.

glass.jpeg.5a0b1d1b2adce2dac2223e55069e5307.jpeg

The series has very cool and stylish covers. Since there is no Bond intro, they kind of take the place of that in my mind. As far as tone goes this one definitely leans serious and is plot/action focused. Some of the highlights are 006 shooting at Bond with his excellent marksmanship and Bond killing someone in a brutal and creative way.

gun.jpeg.5f0074ac570062141f88cc3a07a0c733.jpeg

I've only read the first four. Issue 6 was delayed till Nov. 29th. At the moment I would say it's pretty good but could be better. The main issue is also what many will get a kick out of. There is a lot of characters involved, including the various double 0 agents. I like seeing them since they are hardly in the movies. But I think fewer characters in general would allow the ones that are there to be developed more.

Read The Land of Black Gold.

Tintin_and_the_Land_of_Black_Gold_0001.jpg.cddd65776642a75d16d3bd9f37739cb7.jpg

Very entertaining tale of sabotage and international intrigue leading Tintin, Captain Haddock, and the Thomson twins to Arabia.  Tintin has a run in with Dr Muller whom we last saw in the Black Island.

Tintin_and_the_Land_of_Black_Gold_0027.jpg.3a40d265ed51835b95ecdfe54c5d74e8.jpg

The story ends satisfactorily with resolution of the mystery.

872-873. Amazing Spider-man vol 6 #36-37

874.  Batman vol 3 #139

875. Dark Ride #9

876. Detective Comics #1076

877-879. Walking Dead Deluxe #74-76

880. Transformers #2

881. Undiscovered Country #26

882. Void Rivals #5

883. Whats the Furthest Place From Here #15

884. X-Men vol 6 #28

885-888. The Tick vol 1 #1-4

Edited by cbalroman

Seem to be reading a lot of multiverse stories recently, picked purely by chance…

Bullet Points 1 to 5

Quite a good What If? story, although Straczynski overcomplicates it with a lot of exposition about the behaviour of bullets, when it’s basically that by moving any agent of change in time and position you’re likely to see differences in the resultant butterfly effect. One-liner, not page after page of it.  Nice art from Tommy Lee Edwards.

Before Watchmen Prequels

Liked these.  Good variety in story and art, all worth a read.

Minutemen 1 to 6

Hollis Mason reminiscing about the history of the old school team, with typically excellent art and storytelling from Darwyn Cooke.

Silk Spectre 1 to 4

Couldn’t help thinking that if modern Archie can produce gory horror comics, then a teen / college period super-hero comic from them might feel a little like this one.

Nice art from Amanda Conner

Nite Owl 1 to 4

The early days of the Nite Owl / Rorschach partnership, and the relationship between the strait-laced and inexperienced Nite Owl and the somewhat polar opposite Twilight Lady. 

Dr Manhattan 1 to 4

Again, as with Bullet Points, a story about profound multiversal effects resulting from a small change in initial starting conditions, foreshadowing what you see in Doomsday Clock. Excellent art from Adam Hughes.

Moloch 1 and 2

The one I was most surprised by. A really excellent and extremely sad story.

Doomsday Clock 1 to 12

As said a couple of times previously, another multiverse / butterfly effect story, using the same principle as Bullet Points and Before Watchmen:  Dr Manhattan, integrating the Watchmen Universe into DC continuity. A good read.  Typical high quality art from Gary Frank.

Actually, I’ve been happy with all of the artwork in these comics, throughout. No complaints.

37 comics together

2023 total = 524

And, for the first time here, I’ve exceeded 500 comics in one year.

Exceptional, by my standards.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Parallel universes, one where vampires won out, the other the werewolves.

Vampironica 1 to 5

Quite old school, Gothic horror. A fairly tame start to the extended storyline.  Nice art from Greg Smallwood, who went on to do the Human Target mini-series with Tom King.

Jughead The Hunger 1 to 13

For an Archie comic, surprisingly gory.  Frank Tieri’s story is really a quite engaging page turner. Nice art from the Kennedy brothers.

Jughead The Hunger vs Vampironica 1 to 5

The two parallel universes collide after a spell is cast by Riverdale’s Antichrist.  That is, the saga becomes even more mental, and continues to be entertaining.

Vampironica New Blood 1 to 4

Back home, the story concludes with a return to a little more tame, old school vampire horror.

27 comics together

2023 total = 551

bri.jpg.39279defd06ef65f6ee73c7cfffbd2e7.jpg

Brave Chef Brianna Issue 2-4

Thought that finishing up a series related to food made sense for November. I don't own these physical, just digital. The idea of a human restaurant in a monster town is cool. I enjoyed the art style and liked that the primary characters have distinct looks and personalities. The characters are written believably. There is a good message, through the main character Brianna, about persevering despite intrusive thoughts about failure and impostor syndrome that doesn't feel heavy handed. Her journey makes the relatively short story feel substantial.

While reading this, I kept thinking it would be nice to have some kind of continuation, where they flesh out not just the leads more, but the customers and see different parts of the monster city. They could do an issue spotlighting the energetic skeleton businessmen for instance. Because the writing and art has fun with even the minor characters, I wanted more of just about everyone. As it is though, it's a solid and unique 4 issue story.

hans.jpg.93361322fb7b0b769af0ba0727c3c4d1.jpg

Sweet Tooth 1 to 12

A sad story about a sheltered, naive mutant kid forced to go out into a brutal, post-apocalyptic world.

Good indie comic stuff from Jeff Lemire.

2023 total = 563