• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

So, I’ve basically made it quite clear there as to what’s my favourite out of all of 2023’s reading material.

Maybe, in a few days, to bring this year’s thread to a close, the other participants might post their highlight as well?

On 12/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, F For Fake said:

I was just thinking about this book, as I just read the Tom King series, and I was trying to remember if it was any good ha I remember it being sort of tied in to all of the pre-52 stuff going on with DC at the time, Final Crisis or whatever, and I couldn't recall if it lined up at all. I will have to track this one down and give it a re-read.

It’s not Starlin’s best, but a good read.  But, made a bit irrelevant because it wasn’t too long before they were brought back. 

gwenverse.jpg.b39834b0ecea9aeae089cfc88807c5f6.jpg

This is the first Spider-Gwen comic I've read. I really enjoyed it. All of the Gwen variants represent an aspect of Gwen. For example, Wolvergwen is her short temper and CapGwen is her idealistic or noble self. This makes the variants feel meaningful. The story explores Gwen in a way that makes her more three dimensional, and more likable and relatable because of it. It's lighthearted enough to not feel too heavy while also having a great character arc. While George Stacy isn't featured too prominently, the positive father daughter relationship was another highlight. If the goal was to enhance my appreciation for Gwen, this series accomplished that.

Read The Red Sea Sharks (1958) for the first time.

TintinRedSeaSharks.thumb.jpg.0f7bff042a8c1caecf2b0abe112d1f9c.jpg

Wow, a lot of reoccurring character appearances in this story - General Alcazar, Abdullah, Mohammed Ben Kalish Ezab, Doctor Müller, Oliveira da Figueira, Jolyon Wagg, Bianca Castafiore, and the reappearance of villains Rastapopoulos and ship captain Allan Thompson.

19_Tintin_and_the_Red_Sea_Sharks_0041.jpg.c055850007e8bb94e2d40adfc494606b.jpg

A fun adventure with many perilous situations but, as usual, with a satisfactory ending.  Although the villain Rastapopoulos does escape in spectacular fashion.

19_Tintin_and_the_Red_Sea_Sharks_0059.jpg.316d9a5a408c711f2e935f80d9e0b2ae.jpg

I just finished the Black Hammer Library Edition Volume 1, which contains issue 1-13 plus Annual 1. I've got to say, this one really didn't do much for me. I've had it for years and never got around to reading it. I was expecting a really good read since it won at least one Eisner (maybe multiple?), but it just left me a bit cold. I won't be continuing the series. 

That's 1275 for the year. 

Read Tintin in Tibet (1960) for the first time.

c19_tibet-en-a5_V2.thumb.jpeg.62c17884513f15cd302173c9acd52f07.jpeg

Tintin has a premonition of his friend Chang (whom he befriended in The Blue Lotus adventure) then learns his plane crashed in the Himalayas in Tibet.  He is determined to go and search for his friend and has a perilous journey, but against all odds is successful - his friend being saved and guarded by a yeti.

c19_tibet-en-p62-dcolor.thumb.jpeg.7334793b2c0ae2f8fce290473bc950a4.jpeg

On 12/25/2023 at 9:27 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

Read Tintin in Tibet (1960) for the first time.

c19_tibet-en-a5_V2.thumb.jpeg.62c17884513f15cd302173c9acd52f07.jpeg

Tintin has a premonition of his friend Chang (whom he befriended in The Blue Lotus adventure) then learns his plane crashed in the Himalayas in Tibet.  He is determined to go and search for his friend and has a perilous journey, but against all odds is successful - his friend being saved and guarded by a yeti.

c19_tibet-en-p62-dcolor.thumb.jpeg.7334793b2c0ae2f8fce290473bc950a4.jpeg

Wonderful to realize that as this year i discovered the american comic books, the American also discovered the books from my culture, i remember had read all these tintin hundred and hundred of times when i was a kid:x

On 12/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

Read The Calculus Affair (1956).

18_Tintin_and_the_Calculus_Affair_0001.jpg.28eb8a2566ab711266c675623a2b1ca4.jpg

A fun Tintin tale of espionage with lots of cool cars and chases.

18_Tintin_and_the_Calculus_Affair_0038.jpg.d92c189d616e6f8b78d5e8b6bf660cc1.jpg

18_Tintin_and_the_Calculus_Affair_0057.jpg.31a6247e9816b393af6ed42f0645c3dd.jpg

Tintin, Captain Haddock, and Snowy succeed in solving the mystery and rescuing Professor Calculus.

Im surprised that the name of Mr Tournesol is traducted here, it not really make sens because its a surname and not a word:roflmao:

He-Man And The Masters Of The Multiverse tpb. This was terrible. You're expected to know every continuity, with no explanation or hints, everything from the '87 movie to the New Adventures, to the Filmation and MYP (I knew those 2) and something that seemed like a mobile game? I dunno. The story was boring, with little happening, and it ended with a literal deus ex machina. Very disappointing after the excellent work DC did on all the work contained in the He-Man omnibus, but this one just didn't land. 

Good news for me is that it is my 1300th issue for the year, so I did hit that milestone! Just a shame it wasn't on a better book. 

Something I haven't reread in well over a decade, and thanks to my poor memory thanks to brain fog, a symptom of my fibromyalgia, I couldn't remember much of it, now was the perfect time for a reread. I'm talking Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier. I read the Deluxe Edition from circa 2015/2016, and what can I say that hasn't already been said about this material? It's a near flawless comic book story, with art that is simply gorgeous, and does nothing but make you jealous of the talent that went into each and every page. Such a great tale. I cannot recommend it enough. If you've never read it, do yourself a favour, and buy it now! It's hardly aged a day. 

That brings me up to 1307 for the year, starting May 19th. 

On 12/29/2023 at 5:24 AM, Cat said:

Something I haven't reread in well over a decade, and thanks to my poor memory thanks to brain fog, a symptom of my fibromyalgia, I couldn't remember much of it, now was the perfect time for a reread. I'm talking Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier. I read the Deluxe Edition from circa 2015/2016, and what can I say that hasn't already been said about this material? It's a near flawless comic book story, with art that is simply gorgeous, and does nothing but make you jealous of the talent that went into each and every page. Such a great tale. I cannot recommend it enough. If you've never read it, do yourself a favour, and buy it now! It's hardly aged a day. 

Yup.  Seconded. Cooke was an incredibly talented writer / artist.  Capturing the feel of the Silver Age period superbly, with perfectly-matched artwork.

Another one I can't remember reading, it's been so long; Hellboy Seed Of Destruction. Not a bad start for the franchise, but far from the best. Verging on a 6.5-7/10. John Byrne's dialogue was not recognisable as John Byrne's dialogue, a massive plus.

That's 1311 for the year starting May 19th.