• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2023
2 2

323 posts in this topic

007.jpeg.017085452443d0a34ab9081e05b29d7f.jpeg

007: For King And Country 5-6

There's some good action and a lot of style in the final issues. I'm a sucker for a good rain scene. While the ending isn't totally satisfying, it did leave me interested in a follow up if that ever happens. Gwendolyn Gann has potential as a character. I wish I had started with 007 but a lot of comics don't tell you they are a sequel. Aside from Gann, the numerous double 0 agents are mostly here to make moments more memorable, like Bond ramming one with a mattress lol. It does work and gives the series a unique feel.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:53 PM, paperheart said:

Ta-Nehisi Coates

Quite good.  Haven't read the latest series by John Ridley.

I had been thinking about going back and reading some of the Christopher Priest run from the late 90s.

fortnite.jpg.c6c2742609790f7c8902bcc183fe2257.jpg

Batman / Fortnite: Zero Point

I was surprised by how good Batman / Fornite: Zero Point is. I love how Batman deduces what's going on in the Fortnite world. Him using batarangs as notes to remind himself of what he learned after storm resets was clever. The relationship of Batman and Catwoman in this was a highlight. Without spoiling too much, characters lose memories in the loop but there is a lingering emotional familiarity. There's a lot of smart ideas executed well in the series. It has romance, Batman being a detective, action, just about everything you could want. The focus is primarily on the DC characters being in Fortnite rather than the Fortnite characters. Still, Fortnite characters are shown a lot and get some moments.

foundation.jpg.d3df26b98363c1ee17e24b94732f5f1f.jpg

The Foundation one-shot is a direct follow up and ending for the Zero Point series. While Batman is still a significant focus, technically two Batmen including The Batman Who Laughs, it's also from the perspective of The Foundation. The Foundation is a major Fortnite character. That was a good choice since it gives more weight to the Fortnite side of the roster. I like how his character is developed and how the Fortnite lore is explained. The story does feel a little rushed but overall I was happy with it.

Brave and Bold 2007 series 1 to 17

Lot of good bits throughout from Mark Waid, but the 12 issue storyline did drag in places. 
Nice artwork from George Perez and Jerry Ordway.  The later issues were solid but not exceptional team-up stories, though I did quite like the Superman / Catwoman issue.

Final Crisis : Legion of Three Worlds 1 to 5

Pulled out some more George Perez comics, really excellent in places.  With such a large cast involved, the to-and-fro between the different fights was a bit confusing at times. A later scene seemed quite reminiscent of the final battle in Avengers Endgame to a degree, and Geoff Johns uses a similar idea about observing worlds within a comic page that I read earlier in the year in Grant Morrison’s Animal Man run. 

22 comics in all

2023 total = 590

Edited by Ken Aldred

Death of the New Gods 1 to 8 by Jim Starlin.

Under his usual cosmic themes, a murder mystery about trying to identify a god killer.  The deaths were actually rather short-acting as it turned out, and the pantheons soon recovered.

2023 total = 598

On 12/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Death of the New Gods 1 to 8 by Jim Starlin.

Under his usual cosmic themes, a murder mystery about trying to identify a god killer.  The deaths were actually rather short-acting as it turned out, and the pantheons soon recovered.

2023 total = 598

I was just thinking about this book, as I just read the Tom King series, and I was trying to remember if it was any good ha I remember it being sort of tied in to all of the pre-52 stuff going on with DC at the time, Final Crisis or whatever, and I couldn't recall if it lined up at all. I will have to track this one down and give it a re-read.

bunnyman.jpg.b2e2fe925352867985468ed4818001f5.jpg

Man Goat & The Bunnyman 1-3

Josh Burns did a great job with this variant cover. Floyd the Bunnyman is a bit psycho when he gets his ax but otherwise, he's often an endearing underdog. Phil does act like a jerk in the first issue. We learn in issue 2 that he's the spawn of Baphomet and fears he may be evil because of it. I like how Baphomet is designed with the snakes coming out of his chest, similar to the infamous Baphomet statue. It's more interesting than just another generic Satan. Both lead characters have a lot going on which gives their odd couple heroic duo a lot to play off of.

mangoat.jpg.b3e4c496e1fccdf101e8a9ac5e50e6d3.jpg

Most of the comedy is from Floyd and because he's a bunny, it gives it a slight Looney Tunes for adults vibe. One joke does get overused. Still, I enjoyed the lighthearted tone the series has. It balances the Baphomet and cult plot. This is the kind of series that works even if it seems it shouldn't. The art accentuates the personality of the characters, such as the contrast between innocent bunny eyes Floyd and deranged ax wielding killer mode Floyd. You can tell the people making this really like the characters and are having a good time creating something unique.

926-961.  Mind MGMT #1-36

962.  Amazing Spider-Man: Gang War #1

963-964.  Amazing Spider-Man vol 6 #38-39

965.  Batman vol 3 #140

966.  Black Hammer: The End #4

967-968.  Daredevil vol 8 #3-4

969-971.  Detective Comics #1077-1079

972.  Fire Power #29

973.  Immortal X-Men #17

974-975.  The Walking Dead Deluxe #77-78

976.  Transformers #3

977. Void Rivals #6