• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commodore 64
2 2

35 posts in this topic

While purchasing in OO collection of comics, the seller included a number of other items he had left over from the collector. Among them was a Commodore 64. Does anyone on here know how to determine if it is working, or know of a good venue to move the thing? I know of its history but really don't have any use for it myself. I know it is worth more if it is working but it does come in the original box along with the packing supplies and manual. Thanks!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, PeterPark said:

While purchasing in OO collection of comics, the seller included a number of other items he had left over from the collector. Among them was a Commodore 64. Does anyone on here know how to determine if it is working, or know of a good venue to move the thing? I know of its history but really don't have any use for it myself. I know it is worth more if it is working but it does come in the original box along with the packing supplies and manual. Thanks!

I've run across vintage computer stuff at thrift stores and usually pick it up if it's the original box. I generally use Ebay to find a ballpark value and list it for a few bucks under last sale. Every time I've done that, it always sells to someone who's into retrotech stuff. Looks to be a $150 item depending on condition, etc.

It was my first too, unless we count a NES, so I tenderly forgot that I owned the computer, plus I was like 10 and not as innovatively inspired to explore. Still wish that I had come around to making an effort. Nintendo was a hard competitor. 

It was also my first computer, made that thing last all the way into high school in the early 90's, at which point my senior English teacher said "Dude, a dot-matrix printer?" Was shamed into getting a PC! But oh the hours spent on the C64. Spent lots of time with the RPG's like AD&D Pools of Radiance and Wasteland, and groundbreaking games like Project:Firestart, which was TERRIFYING at the time. Also of course had the Alien and Aliens games, and lots of other junk. Those were the days, using software to "break" games and copy them on floppy discs. Lots of good times. 

Logo, Bank Street Writer, Oregon Trail...these were what my computer education were built on!

On 1/11/2023 at 11:41 AM, PeterPark said:

Among them was a Commodore 64. Does anyone on here know how to determine if it is working, or know of a good venue to move the thing? I know of its history but really don't have any use for it myself. I know it is worth more if it is working but it does come in the original box along with the packing supplies and manual. Thanks!

If it doesn't work (power on).....one thing to note is the MAJOR weak point and likely cause of this was the junk power supply unit (PSU) that came with them (the cord with the "brick" in the middle of it).

The original power supply units are a known issue.  I think I burned through two of them on mine back in the day, and it was $50 to replace them each time.  I was not happy.

If you determine it does need a new power supply, there are sellers on Ebay that now offer much higher quality power supply units with modern components in them.  Just be sure you do NOT buy an original (old stock) power supply for it.  They were literally garbage, and can keep the computer from powering on.....or actually even damage the computer if the regulator shorts on them (which would allow up to 12V through to the C64 chips, causing them to fail).

Edit:

Here's a link to a modern power supply for sale on Ebay for the Commodore 64 that is much better quality.  They're made by a Polish company called Electroware (their website can be seen here.)

Also, here is a link to some information on the original junk power supply units.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, the blob said:

I wonder where mine went. Mom probably threw it out. I still have a box of 5 1/4 discs with so many video games on them downloaded on 300 and 1200 baud modems.

Me too!  But mine was an Atari 800.  Thought I was Mathew Broderick in War Games with those modems.  Downloaded so many great games from the golden age of software in the early to mid 80s.

I went from TI-4A to my Commodore 64 to Apple II e/c's and I loved them all. I can't say what my first windows machine was; that's the OS that became my bread and butter but the nostalgia just isn't the same.

File Maker Pro produced my first comic book database.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On 1/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, F For Fake said:

It was also my first computer, made that thing last all the way into high school in the early 90's, at which point my senior English teacher said "Dude, a dot-matrix printer?" Was shamed into getting a PC! But oh the hours spent on the C64. Spent lots of time with the RPG's like AD&D Pools of Radiance and Wasteland, and groundbreaking games like Project:Firestart, which was TERRIFYING at the time. Also of course had the Alien and Aliens games, and lots of other junk. Those were the days, using software to "break" games and copy them on floppy discs. Lots of good times. 

Logo, Bank Street Writer, Oregon Trail...these were what my computer education were built on!

3d6bb6b968e1.jpg.a5739a177640678d1f23ce6c66f9470b.jpg

Wasteland is my all-time favorite game! This is from the Wasteland 3 Collector's Edition:

20200805_212057.thumb.jpg.46cf7c1f53b42c67d0e1b87e710de0ad.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 12:09 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

3d6bb6b968e1.jpg.a5739a177640678d1f23ce6c66f9470b.jpg

Wasteland is my all-time favorite game! This is from the Wasteland 3 Collector's Edition:

20200805_212057.thumb.jpg.46cf7c1f53b42c67d0e1b87e710de0ad.jpg

Man, I really loved Wasteland, spent SO many hours on it as a kid. I'm 100% certain that my love of Fallout these days is drawn directly from those Wasteland days.