• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading certain Marvel cards
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if the following Marvel cards are accepted for grading:

1.  Planet Metal inserts from the Spider-Man Metal Universe.  These inserts are metal cards, and I've seen a lot of posts about how metal Pokemon are not currently being encapsulated.  Was wondering if the same would apply to these Planet Metal cards.

2. Printing Plates.  Similar to above, since these are also metal.

3. Autograph cards, for example, from the "Into the Spider-Verse" series.  Would these receive a Qualified green label or designated with something like "Unwitnessed signature."

4. Marvel series sketch cards that are marked "AP" (artist proofs), or sketch cards where the artist is unknown.  Would these be accepted for grading and if so, would these be graded differently than other sketch cards?

Thanks in advance!

• Administrator

Hello @RLL, here are the best answers I can provide that Crystal was able to receive from the grading team:

For questions 1 and 2, we do not grade metal cards at this time. You may find this information HERE

image.png

However, we are working towards being able to grade metal cards! Please keep an eye out for announcements on this either via social media or our TCG Newsletter.

For question 3, any autograph pulled straight from a pack of cards that says on the card that it comes autographed receives a regular blue label as the company printing the cards has guaranteed the autograph is authentic at that point. 

Lastly, for question 4, artist proofs will receive a green label as provenance is unknown at that point, for unknown artist sketches we treat them similar to proofs and they will receive a green label with a designator on the back marking them as unverifiable who the artist is. In both cases as long as enough of the card is visible to see that it is a card from a set we grade we will grade them.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

@KaileeS CS Thank you very much for the reply. 

I'm glad I asked before sending them in.  Part of my confusion was that CGC announced in November that the very first graded Star Wars card was an autographed printing plate featuring Harrison Ford as Han Solo, so I was wondering if similar types of metal cards from Marvel sets would be acceptable. But I will hold off on sending any Marvel metal cards until CGC announces otherwise. 

https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/10888/

Regarding sketch cards from Marvel sets, if they are signed by the artist but I can't read the signature or tell who the artist is from the signature, would these also receive the green qualified label as if the artist is unknown?

Thanks again!

• Administrator

@RLL,

Pack Pulled Sketch Cards, usually will have this information on the reverse of the card. Rest assured, we will be able to verify who the artist is as long as the it was signed before being opened in a pack. If it was signed after the fact, this would receive a green label. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

• Administrator
On 1/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, RLL said:

Now that CGC has announced the new holders for metal Pokémon, are the Marvel planet metal and printing plates also acceptable for grading at this point? Thanks!

Hello! Yes we will be encapsulating these cards and plates as well. Let us know if you have any other questions!

On 1/19/2023 at 9:19 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Lastly, for question 4, artist proofs will receive a green label as provenance is unknown at that point, for unknown artist sketches we treat them similar to proofs and they will receive a green label with a designator on the back marking them as unverifiable who the artist is. In both cases as long as enough of the card is visible to see that it is a card from a set we grade we will grade them.

Hi @KaileeS CS, just wanted to revisit this question since I have now seen Marvel artist proof cards with the blue label rather than green (example attached), and the label specifically indicates artist proof. Will these typically get blue labels now if the artist is identified? Thanks!

FE4A0449-7443-4ECE-8071-73CC5D7F890D.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello @RLL, 

Thank you for your question. Artist proof cards that are signed and sketched will receive a green label, as the signatures and sketched are not witnessed by CGC. Artist proof cards that are left blank, not sketched or signed, will receive a blue label. 

The Marvel card you have pictured is a pack pulled Marvel Metal Universe artist proof/sketch card and therefore guaranteed by the card distributor. For this reason, the card is eligible for the blue label. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Regards, 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @RLL, 

Thank you for your question. Artist proof cards that are signed and sketched will receive a green label, as the signatures and sketched are not witnessed by CGC. Artist proof cards that are left blank, not sketched or signed, will receive a blue label. 

The Marvel card you have pictured is a pack pulled Marvel Metal Universe artist proof/sketch card and therefore guaranteed by the card distributor. For this reason, the card is eligible for the blue label. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Regards, 

@NickiO CS Thank you for the reply. How can I verify if an artist proof card is packed pulled?

On 2/23/2023 at 9:06 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Hello @RLLMarvel will notate it on the back of the card. Here is an example of what it would say on the back:

image.png

Please kindly let us know if we may assist with anything further. Thank you!

@KaileeS CS thanks again to you and your colleagues for all the help! I have a few of these artist proofs with such notation that I look forward to sending in for grading.