• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated Key "First" Books
5 5

321 posts in this topic

For me, first appearances only work if the character is on the cover. This is one reason why Strange tales 110 took so long to begin catching up to the other Marvel silver age first appearances. I completely agree on X-Men 94 versus GS X-Men 1, though I agree with the hobby that Hulk 181 is just a cooler book than 180. Wolverine's on the cover of 181; that's huge. If I was a Wolverine fan (I'm not) I would definitely prize 181 over 180, though I would make sure to also pick up a 180 for the sake of completeness.

Moon Knight's my boy and WWbN 32 is my grail. A great first appearance with a classic cover.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:38 PM, trademarkcomics said:

1. X-Men #94

What is it a "first" of? The first issue of the "New" X-Men.

It's the first appearance of the new team.

Why is it an overrated "first"? Because it has zero first appearances, and Giant-Size X-Men is not only the true first issue of the new X-Men, it's even a #1 issue!

So what? You want to talk overrated? (Over)Valuing an issue just because it's a #1 is :screwy:

2. Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars #8

What is it a "first" of? The first in-continuity appearance of the black alien costume which eventually joins with Eddie Brock to become Venom.

Well, it was at the time, but that's the thing about first chronological continuity appearances...

Why is it an overrated "first"? Because it came out 8 months after the alien costume's first actual appearance(it's still listed as the first in some places).

Yes, this one is actually overrated because people are stupid, don't understand dates, and far too often refer to this as the first appearance of the costume.

3. Uncanny X-Men #266

What is it a "first" of? This is the first appearance of Gambit. Or is it?

No, it's the first full appearance. It's an issue that somebody who actually cares about Gambit would want to read, unlike the Annual.

Why is it an overrated "first"? Because everyone already knows that this came out weeks after X-Men Annual #14. Which may be described as a "cameo" of Gambit, but he has lines and appearances throughout the book.

Well, technically, at least after he and Storm are introduced to the story.

He's just not the focus of the story.

That's... putting it mildly.

5. Incredible Hulk #181

is this really that much different than Hobgoblin's first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man #238?

Yes. ASM 238 is all about Hobgoblin (and Peter's life because it's still an issue of ASM, duh). Hulk 180 is all about Hulk and Wendigo.

Isn't ASM #239 Hobby's first "full" appearance after we only see him for one splash page at the end of #238

No, and the claim that we only see him on one splash page in 238 is false.

are we really that superficial as collectors

Based on this and #3, you definitely are. Some people, on the other hand, actually understand storytelling.

Honorable mention that connects to this: Those books with ads for Hulk #181. They came out the month Hulk #181 was released.

Not only that, but they didn't even come out before Hulk 181. Still, isn't it interesting that Marvel's ad for their great new character, Wolverine, is for Hulk 181 and not Hulk 180? hm

On 1/23/2023 at 6:39 PM, Lazyboy said:

Early on? Perception? The high grade disparity is also significantly in favor of GSX 1.

Well there are not vastly more GS X-Men 1 in the CGC census. There are mor, 9K+ to 12K+e. X-Men 94's cover shows more boo boos for sure. I vaguely remember GS #1 was in the Mile High 2 hoard in quantity, but that would not explain why X-Men 94 was the more expensive book in 1982 or whatever as well as MH 2 was a couple of years later. And being a #1 was probably ordered more than #94 of a comic that had been in reprints for years. But absolutely, when I was a kid 1980-82 X-Men 94 had the edge.

Edited by the blob

On 1/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, s-man said:

I vote for any modern book that is hyped by a movie or tv show.  Every time there is even a hint of a particular character that might be in an upcoming production, all of a sudden that particular book blows up.  Gotta love speculation :screwy:

Shhhh. A lot of folks here were funding childrens' college and their retirement with that.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

We learn a LOT about Wolvie's origin in 180

lol What?

and get a full appearance in costume and continuity.

No, a single page is not a full appearance, which has nothing to do with how much of the character is drawn by the artist.

The things I hate are the folks trying to turn Comic Reader, Comic Journal, Comic Buyer's Guide, FOOM etc. ads into "first appearances" or, worse yet in the case of the Foom "wolverine" - fake prototypes.

Yeah, but those aren't keys, so we don't even need to acknowledge them in this thread (or anywhere).

On 1/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, EricNeedHam said:

Shouldnt the issue in Secret Wars where the symbiote drops from the wish machine be the first appearance of the Black costume…..and does the Spider-Woman first appearance in her Black Costume actually be considered since it inspired Peter’s design wish????

How could MSHSW 8 possibly be the first appearance of something that appeared many months earlier and had already been in a couple of dozen issues?

On 1/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, EricNeedHam said:

Shouldnt the issue in Secret Wars where the symbiote drops from the wish machine be the first appearance of the Black costume…..and does the Spider-Woman first appearance in her Black Costume actually be considered since it inspired Peter’s design wish????

Yes, if you've read this thread and understand it, you would see how what you ask is out of place and has been debunked in great detail.

I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but it "could mean" 1st chronological in order or reading order for an appearance?

And the world for that? Is called an "origin issue!" That doesn't make it chronological in real world appearance, except Spider-Man finding the symbiote firstly in sw8 that is just an origin issue. Meanwhile people who read symbiote issues in the real world had months full of seeing an symbiote appearance before sw8. Lol

It's bewitched how it always gets advertised as a 1st, because it is an origin people get confused? idk. That is the Only way "I can understand" to put it straight every time I read it lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/23/2023 at 9:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

How could MSHSW 8 possibly be the first appearance of something that appeared many months earlier and had already been in a couple of dozen issues?

I can see the "chronological story" argument or "origin" (as in, where Peter first *finds* the black costume in Secret Wars 8), but no - it's not the first black costume.

That's definitively ASM 252.

But I'll raise you New Mutants 98 vs. X-Force 11.

I bought New Mutants 98 off the shelf. The reason it jumped to an $8 book almost instantly was it was the first appearance of Domino - not Deadpool. Domino - new character, part of X-Force, yay.

Deadpool was cool but didn't really take off until a few years later - with the writing in his ongoing book.

I stopped reading X-Force after # 8, so I wasn't even aware that Nicieza apparently retconned her with issues 11 (then 15) - and that Copycat was the one from New Mutants 98 through the first year of X-Force. Even if he planned it all along, I refuse to consider X-Force 11 the "first Domino."

Other pet peeve?

Characters who don't actually appear in books.

Key examples are Werewolf by Night # 37 - Moon Knight's on the cover, but he's not in the book.

Ditto Hulk # 359. Wolverine's on the cover, but he's not in the book.