• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why aren't "comic remakes" a thing?
3 3

59 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/19/2023 at 11:55 AM, MarybethR_Boyd said:

Why so immediately?.. How do you advise writing messages?... Immediately ban for bad sentences, ban for links, ban for off-topic posts?... Then what are these discussions for?... I went and looked at the necessary information, and why should I leave the site and forget about it?... I understand that everyone pursues his own goal, but is the community for communication or not?... : (((

Hi

Nobody is being banned.  Otherwise, I would have not approved your first post.  The style of it is similar to what we have seen in the past, only with a link to a site that is selling something.  (a spammer)  They keep coming back, and are aware that they will get banned if they post a link in their first post.  So, they wait until it gets approved, and come back later, edit the post and add a link like I have described above.  Sorry that you got caught up in this.  I hope that you continue to post and share your opinions.

Mike

On 7/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Nobody is being banned.  Otherwise, I would have not approved your first post.  The style of it is similar to what we have seen in the past, only with a link to a site that is selling something.  (a spammer)  They keep coming back, and are aware that they will get banned if they post a link in their first post.  So, they wait until it gets approved, and come back later, edit the post and add a link like I have described above.  Sorry that you got caught up in this.  I hope that you continue to post and share your opinions.

Mike

:foryou:Thank you for your understanding. I understand that you are standing up for your community. Thank you for your reply.

Edited by MarybethR_Boyd

On 1/23/2023 at 4:38 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

With all of the facsimile editions that keep coming out, it got me wondering, "why aren't there comic remakes" for some of the classic books? Like, why doesn't DC release a "reprint" of Detective 27 for example that is a basically a panel-by-panel remake of the original, but using artists and art styles from today? I'd be much more interested in that than a straight up reprint facsimile. Would anyone else be intrigued, or is that a step too far?

I mean.... they are a thing, unfortunately. All they do is re-tell the same origin stories every few years, just not in the panel by panel remake format you described. DC's 1980s Secret Origins had a few stories- not all- that did the remake of the original story, presumably that was a Roy Thomas thing.

I can just hear the Ebay Buyers now making claims of seller sending the "wrong book" lol 

This sounds like a market place nightmare, if it was exactly the same ???

or am I missing something?

@Jesse-Lee :cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/23/2023 at 3:38 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

With all of the facsimile editions that keep coming out, it got me wondering, "why aren't there comic remakes" for some of the classic books? Like, why doesn't DC release a "reprint" of Detective 27 for example that is a basically a panel-by-panel remake of the original, but using artists and art styles from today? I'd be much more interested in that than a straight up reprint facsimile. Would anyone else be intrigued, or is that a step too far?

ah been so long since I read the 1st post I forgot for a second :shy: 

On 7/19/2023 at 1:24 PM, godzilla43 said:

Yeah creating a comic with the same panels with modern artist would be much cooler than those horrible facsimiles.

seems to me like the market would be limited.    The vintage collector won't be interested for the most part.    The new comic collector won't be interested for the most part.    Its a pretty narrow intersection, IMO, of people wanting to read old stories with new art.

On 7/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to remake Stardust The Super Wizard, with all that stunning  Fletcher Hanks artwork.

(tsk)

On 7/19/2023 at 6:18 PM, Bronty said:

seems to me like the market would be limited.    The vintage collector won't be interested for the most part.    The new comic collector won't be interested for the most part.    Its a pretty narrow intersection, IMO, of people wanting to read old stories with new art.

Salient point.

You want to read old stuff? All right, so buy tbp and omnibus or read online. 

Freakin facsmile...

Edited by BA773

On 7/20/2023 at 6:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I simply wish that AC1000 got an AC1 cover remake by Alex Ross the same way he did one of DC27 for DC1000.

He did do an AC1 cover homage for AC900. Him doing another one for AC1000 would have been better than the 999 variant covers we got of that issue. 

On 7/20/2023 at 4:25 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

He did do an AC1 cover homage for AC900. Him doing another one for AC1000 would have been better than the 999 variant covers we got of that issue. 

Didn't he do an "exact" remake with AC1050?  His 900 cover is way better (reinterpreted AC1) and I think that's the idea of this thread concept.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, Yorick said:

Didn't he do an "exact" remake with AC1050?  His 900 cover is way better (reinterpreted AC1) and I think that's the idea of this thread concept.

I stopped reading after 1000, so didn't know about the 1050. The 1050 is closer to what I'm talking about; Modernized remakes. It took me too long to recognize how 900 homages #1.

Ross would be great on an AC1 "remake" (at least for the Superman story).  He also did a single panel which I believe may have been used for a plate;

AC1Rosspanel.jpg.46824e3f6dc4a724698c54992a14c344.jpg

But now that I look at it again, it might need a little more polish.