• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERMAN written & directed by James Gunn (2025)
3 3

277 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 10:59 AM, jsilverjanet said:

one picture and this is the reaction

some thing haven't change

huzzah

Unfortunately when you have all those people spending years trashing other interpretations of Superman yet then bank everything on "their version" only to see that first reveal, that same toxic energy gets delivered in reverse against THEIR GUY.

It's sad. But true.

It's not just one picture, it's the picture they chose to represent where they're going with this re-imagining. It didnt just make it's way onto social media through some clumsy PR intern. Out of many many stills, this is what Gunn as DC head wants more than any other to begin with.

But why? I think where he's going is - nothing special here. A blow against the very concept of exceptionalism. Supes? He ain't no big thing. Just another guy in an ill fitting suit, cosplay guy, sure maybe a little stronger than you or me but hey - isnt there always someone stronger around? And he didnt even earn or make his strength. He didnt sweat it in the gym. He was born that way, and then made his way to a place where he would compete unfairly against the natives!

The very face of unearned privilege. 

On 5/11/2024 at 4:08 PM, Dr. Love said:

It's not just one picture, it's the picture they chose to represent where they're going with this re-imagining. It didnt just make it's way onto social media through some clumsy PR intern. Out of many many stills, this is what Gunn as DC head wants more than any other to begin with.

But why? I think where he's going is - nothing special here. A blow against the very concept of exceptionalism. Supes? He ain't no big thing. Just another guy in an ill fitting suit, cosplay guy, sure maybe a little stronger than you or me but hey - isnt there always someone stronger around? And he didnt even earn or make his strength. He didnt sweat it in the gym. He was born that way, and then made his way to a place where he would compete unfairly against the natives!

The very face of unearned privilege. 

Amazing insight!

I’m not “hating” here, I just don’t like the image… I don’t like the baggy suit or the lackadaisical expression on Supes’ face as he pulls on his boots to go save everyone yet again.

The color palate of whatever that menace in the sky also reminds me of GOTG, nothing new or impressive.

We should also remember that Gunn has less than excellent judgment when it comes to costume parties, I guess… 

Who knows, maybe the movie will be great… maybe the purpose of this first impression is to lower expectations.  In that case, it succeeded IMO.

P.S. on a related note I am personally just finding it hard to get excited about anything DC/WB does after the roller-coaster ride we went on with the Snyderverse / Whedon / JLA / Snydercut, WW84, Aquawhatever, Flash catching babies, etc etc etc. Just super-tired of this and plan on never seeing another DC movie in the theatre… will wait for Max release.  I used to rush to the theatre for these movies but those days are long gone.  Can’t bring myself to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt here.

To be fair though, I think Corenswet is the right “type” to play Superman.

The only legit reason I can come up with for Gunn to use this picture as an introductory photo was to show that the suit is flexible and not some type of stiff body armor. Warners did that with Batman Begins. It was a shot of Batman sitting down in front of Gordon’s house. It was meant to show that the new suit wasn’t immobile like those used for the Burton and Schumacher films. The photo backfired. Internet fans called the picture the Michelin Man.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:36 AM, Larryw7 said:

The only legit reason I can come up with for Gunn to use this picture as an introductory photo was to show that the suit is flexible and not some type of stiff body armor. Warners did that with Batman Begins. It was a shot of Batman sitting down in front of Gordon’s house. It was meant to show that the new suit wasn’t immobile like those used for the Burton and Schumacher films. The photo backfired. Internet fans called the picture the Michelin Man.

Exactly. First impressions are hard to change. As a Batman fan, I was turned off by the early Batman promo photos and did not see Begins in the theatres which was a mistake as it was a very good movie. 

Gunn and DC just made a the first impression of the new Supes to be a negative. Not a smart marketing move IMHO. They did not spend enough time thinking it through. I fight my M&C (marketing and communications) team all the time at work when I do not agree with a photo or even a single word (last week it was their suggestion of "make" and I battled for two weeks to change it to "create") on any promo material. You only get one chance to do it right.

Maybe he was going for a "Superman is just like us, he puts one shoe (boot) on at a time"?

But still I don't like it, nor do I think it is a great look for the very first official photo for the film.  I'd have picked something a bit more inspiring, that is what Superman is supposed to do, inspire us.  This photo is not inspiring.

On 5/13/2024 at 4:16 PM, Axelrod said:

Way, way too soon to draw any kind of conclusions. 

Unlike some, I do have faith in Gunn's ability to craft a good story, and seems like they did a pretty good job with the casting.  

Although it is way too soon to pass any judgment, knowing a very experienced comic book writer/director is behind this that was probably not the best 'first reveal' to cut loose on social media. That's what most probably surprised people.

So that fits into your "faith in Gunn" statement. But that was not the first good step forward from production.

On 5/13/2024 at 3:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Although it is way too soon to pass any judgment, knowing a very experienced comic book writer/director is behind this that was probably not the best 'first reveal' to cut loose on social media. That's what most probably surprised people.

So that fits into your "faith in Gunn" statement. But that was not the first good step forward from production.

Exactly. Gunn knows better.

On 5/14/2024 at 6:10 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I hope this is a good movie👍 we need a good movie as marvel has lost its way , 

Me, too. But I think the comic book movie/event ship has sailed. Like most things in life, once the executives saw how much money it made, they scrambled for it like a bunch of strippers fighting over a dollar bill and the whole stage collapsed under the weight of everyone trying to get a piece of the action.

But, it was a great time to be a comic fan, and it created legions of fans that enjoy the genre.

On 5/15/2024 at 10:30 AM, Dr. Balls said:

...once the executives saw how much money it made, they scrambled for it like a bunch of strippers fighting over a dollar bill and the whole stage collapsed under the weight of everyone trying to get a piece of the action.

This is fantastic.