• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Are Given a Captain America 1
9 9

92 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 11:05 PM, Readcomix said:

But how does the scammer gain by slipping a fake cover into a bulk deal? Same guy? Small ring? (shrug)

@Mmanick FYI  - this make any sense to you, being you’re active on there?

My impression was that the cover was overlooked and snapped up as part the buyer's original purchase.  It's unusual, but entirely possible for something to get stuffed in between pages of and old raw GA comic that constitutes a "find" ...but it's also possible that something this fortunate could fit into the "too good to be true" category.  hm

This could've been testing the waters, so-to-speak; if a scammer's fishing for bigger fish it would make good bait.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:50 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

My impression was that the cover was overlooked and snapped up as part the buyer's original purchase.  It's unusual, but entirely possible for something to get stuffed in between pages of and old raw GA comic that constitutes a "find" ...but it's also possible that something this fortunate could fit into the "too good to be true" category.  hm

This could've been testing the waters, so-to-speak; if a scammer's fishing for bigger fish it would make good bait.

Like a test run by the scammer? A sniff test of how convincing his work is or isn’t? 

• Administrator

A few posts were removed.  It is not ok to collect personal data about other forum members.  Posting someone's real name, place of employment, wife's name etc... is not allowed.  So, tread lightly.  Here is a quote from the terms of use:

(c) collect or harvest any data about other users;

On 2/21/2023 at 10:17 PM, Daveb25 said:

I think he’s saying the poster is likely the scammer and this guy is really good. Fishing to get suckers to offer him $$ in PMs. Dangerous time to be collecting comics with whoever this scammer is on the loose. 

That certainly sounds plausible  though on the facebook posts, the current owner of this cover sounded like he got scammed.  I thought he was the OP

Since my posts were removed, I will more generally say, from a few clicks around the internet, it would appear the OP here is the one The Man Behind the Comics says was scammed for the Cap #1 cover on Facebook.

And, since The Man Behind the Comics dealt with the scammer in person, it would be odd to call the scammer "not the scammer" (i.e. the OP here is not the scammer, I believe).

Lastly, from a picture provided by the OP here, the names line up. (i.e. the OP here is not the scammer.)

878FD6C1-9681-4C02-9CCA-A1C033317E25.jpeg

So.... how did this OP get scammed on the Cap #1 if it was seemingly a forgotten item in a lot of other books? I would think the most lucrative scam would be to sell the Cap #1 cover outright, not bury it in a lot and never mention it or factor it into a selling price.

If I had to guess, I would say the scammer sold a collection to the OP and threw in the cover to get rid of evidence. 

I don't believe the OP was the scammer or intentionally misleading anyway. 

For what it's worth, I reached out to the OP about possibly buying the cover.  He didn't jump at my offer, nor did he seem overly anxious to sell.  I tried to give fair and honest advice about it's value and what he should consider doing with it.  If he was the scammer, I feel like he would have pushed to close a deal with me.

It's an unfortunate ending to what was a very exciting story and I feel bad for the OP...

On 2/21/2023 at 10:17 PM, Daveb25 said:

I think he’s saying the poster is likely the scammer and this guy is really good. Fishing to get suckers to offer him $$ in PMs. Dangerous time to be collecting comics with whoever this scammer is on the loose. 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, manetteska said:

Since my posts were removed, I will more generally say, from a few clicks around the internet, it would appear the OP here is the one The Man Behind the Comics says was scammed for the Cap #1 cover on Facebook.

And, since The Man Behind the Comics dealt with the scammer in person, it would be odd to call the scammer "not the scammer" (i.e. the OP here is not the scammer, I believe).

Lastly, from a picture provided by the OP here, the names line up. (i.e. the OP here is not the scammer.)

878FD6C1-9681-4C02-9CCA-A1C033317E25.jpeg

So.... how did this OP get scammed on the Cap #1 if it was seemingly a forgotten item in a lot of other books? I would think the most lucrative scam would be to sell the Cap #1 cover outright, not bury it in a lot and never mention it or factor it into a selling price.

okay, that makes more sense.  I don't think the OP is the scammer either.  Though I agree, how could he be scammed if he was given this item for free?  

On 2/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, KCOComics said:

If I had to guess, I would say the scammer sold a collection to the OP and threw in the cover to get rid of evidence. 

For what it's worth, I reached out to the OP about possibly buying the cover.  He didn't jump at my offer, nor did he seem overly anxious to sell.  I tried to give fair and honest advice about it's value and what he should consider doing with it.  If he was the scammer, I feel like he would have pushed to close a deal with me.

It's an unfortunate ending to what was a very exciting story and I feel bad for the OP...

Dang. Then even though he didn’t pay market price it really still stinks for the OP. That’s a find of a lifetime for someone so it’s still as if he got scammed as he thought he found it. 

The number one question I have is how are these fakes being produced? Are they actual press-printed copies, or are they color photocopies? Press-printed is more time-consuming and expensive, and might fool professionals. If you know anything about printing, you can spot a color photocopy immediately. My gut feeling is everyone who got scammed here was someone who can't tell the difference between the two. If you're buying a 5-figure book without knowing the difference, you're not getting a great deal, you're the sucker at the table.

Buy a $25 loupe, save yourself some heartache.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:02 AM, KCOComics said:

as opposed to...burning the evidence?  or just otherwise destroying the evidence? 

Seems like just passing it along would be at least the second quickest way to get it and oneself exposed.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:02 PM, path4play said:

as opposed to...burning the evidence?  or just otherwise destroying the evidence? 

Seems like just passing it along would be at least the second quickest way to get it and oneself exposed.

Yeah. You are right.  Those seem to be much better options lol. 

This is exactly why I would be a terrible criminal! 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:34 PM, KCOComics said:

Yeah. You are right.  Those seem to be much better options lol. 

This is exactly why I would be a terrible criminal! 

Albeit making it smell like maple syrup, that was down right cunning.  Wonder if I could bottle up some 'odor de Edgar Church to spay on my books?