• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Buyer Wants a Refund Because They Disagree With CGC's Grading
3 3

63 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, Tnexus said:

I guess it depends on your refund policy. If you say no refunds, I'd contact Ebay CS and explain your situation and have them look at the messages. If the item is as described, and he just wants to return it because he's now unhappy, I'd see if you can get them to deny the refund. If you accept refunds, you may have no recourse. I just hope you don't have to pay shipping. You should also note the weights of what you sent and the item returned in case he tries to scam you.

You can say "no returns" on eBay, and even have it as your official policy - eBay offers a choice for that - but at the end of the day, it's pretty unenforceable. If a buyer says an item was damaged or "wasn't as described," eBay will force a return/refund no matter what your seller policy is.

I would say no to the refund, the professionals grades it, if they don't agree they shouldn't be purchasing graded books. If they make an actual request with Ebay, then you can refund once you've received the book back. No matter what happens you should post their ebay information on the thread I posted above.

Sounds fishy to me.

$1000 for that book signed is a great deal.  Unsigned 9.6s - You are lucky to get one for $1000. 

Did You offer returns with that listing?  If not, - He's kinda SOL.  You can report the buyer through transaction options for making a false return claim.

If You did offer returns, - Tell Him to please send it the back to You the same way it was packaged and make sure to drop it off to the shipping courier worker behind the desk to get a receipt.  That way You will have an actual weight of the package when it gets scanned in case he tries to send You something other than the said book back.  He can send You a rock back.  Then You will have to deal with fighting with ebay customer service. 

I actually almost bought that book from You.  I honestly don't get why sellers on ebay start their minimum bid at their minimum asking price.  You could have easily gotten $1500 for that book if You listed as BIN or sent it in to MCS and listed it there...  Popular books always sell for much more if You start the auction at .01 or 9.99.   Now is not a good time to be putting anything up for sale in auctions either.  It's a buyer's market.  People are strapped for cash and the money they have - they are buying tvs or tech on sale...  The best way to sell something currently is BIN with BO.  Auctions are where You go to get deals.

But in regards to the return.  Yes sounds fishy to me.  Selling on eBay is tricky because You will eventually run into these types of people.  The buyer also may just want his money back and is making an excuse up to return it...  Maybe they need that $1000 back...

Good luck and best wishes though.  I hope You get that book back and I would buy it on here for $900 shipped.  Then I would try to flip it for $1500-$1800.  - Just being honest...  :takeit::cheers:

On 2/11/2023 at 4:43 PM, seredynskib said:

I sold a CGC signed 9.6 X-Men 107 on Ebay recently and received a message from the buyer that he disagrees with CGC's grading of this book and therefore wants a full refund. He claims that this book should be graded a 7.0, even thought CGC graded it a 9.6.

X-men #107 is generally a tougher book in ultra high CGC grade than surrounding issues. The reason being that the book often has production issues that surrounding issues don't have. 

CGC is generally a bit more lenient on these production issues because they appear on many if not most copies of this issue.

This is probably the reason the buyer thinks the book is over graded. 

There's no way that book is a 7.0 sitting in a 9.6 holder but it might look like a 9.4 in a 9.6 holder to some hence his opinion, although everyone is always a strict grader when it suits them better and people like this you can never please. 

I wouldn't worry about him sending you back an empty package. I once had someone send me a greeting card mocking me I guess but I was able to use the package dimension/weight info to show ebay it wasn't the item. I've found through the many times I've had people try to scam me on ebay the best thing to do is call ebay right away and get your story documented.  This could be used for evil but it seems like they will take whatever you say as gospel and note the account backing up your story for future reps or decisions.  

If you sold it lower than the FMV as it seems from previous posts then consider this a blessing and sell it for more when you get it back.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, woowoo said:

I bought a DVD off eBay $25 seller sent me empty box I wanted my money back from eBay they said it was delivered so no refund.

You should have said you'd like to return it, and sent him back an empty box and then asked for your money back. 

On 2/11/2023 at 8:06 PM, woowoo said:

I bought a DVD off eBay $25 seller sent me empty box I wanted my money back from eBay they said it was delivered so no refund.

Recently I purchased a somewhat hard to find music CD, seller sent a Movie DVD, thus the wrong item.  Seller insisted it was correct.  eBay ruled in my favor and refunded my money.   A week later I see the seller re-listed the exact same CD they insisted they had sent me.  First time in decade I've left negative feedback.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, seredynskib said:

• The buyer's name is "disneymaniac" and I added him to the "Ebay: Blocked User List" as people have suggested.
  • ....Additionally he threatened negative feedback and doubled down that if he did not get his way, he would contact Ebay to get what he wanted.  ...

Glad you prevailed! Thanks for the heads up on the buyer.

Oh, and the threatening to leave negative feedback if the seller doesn't do XYZ is usually an automatic no-go for feebay, from what I've seen that will almost always result in a judgment against the buyer. 

Glad to see the Goog Guys won for once w/ ebay

Totally agree with OP.  "I am happy to work with honest people, but when people use dishonesty to "get their way," I don't appreciate it and I am happy that Ebay has sided with me in this matter and allowed me to close the case."   Happy for You!  ebay is a freakin' headache sometimes!

On 2/13/2023 at 4:29 AM, Gaard said:

"...it is ludicrous to dispute the grade of a CGC comic book."

I'm glad things worked out for you, but I strongly disagree with this.

Don't think the OP is saying that CGC doesnt get it wrong at times but rather that the book has been graded and slabbed by a third party. Any issues with the grade should be taken up with the grading company and not the seller, so long good quality and sufficient pics are posted. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:16 PM, Grendel72 said:

Don't think the OP is saying that CGC doesnt get it wrong at times but rather that the book has been graded and slabbed by a third party. Any issues with the grade should be taken up with the grading company and not the seller, so long good quality and sufficient pics are posted. 

Correct, that is exactly my point. He purchased an X-Men #107 SS Chris Claremont graded 9.6 by CGC and an X-Men #107 SS Chris Claremont graded 9.6 by CGC is exactly what he received. 

So, for the buyer to claim that I sold him a "fraudulent and damaged" product that was "7.0 at best," and then to threaten negative feedback if I don't refund him, he clearly was not being reasonable.

Edited by seredynskib

Never really bought many slabs off there, but one of the first dealers I bought from stated that CGC’s grading is subjective and to be aware of the possibility of confusions like this occurring, especially when distance buying with limited visual information.  

There’s a basic level of consensus about presentation and permissible defects, but it isn’t cut razor-sharp on either side of the transactional argument.

If you can’t handle this level of confusion with the facilities available on a certain platform, then looking for an alternative stratagem elsewhere is simple common sense.

It’s a learning experience for the buyer, in this case.

On 2/13/2023 at 12:16 AM, Grendel72 said:

CGC didn't sell him the book.  He can't take it up with them.  If he tried they'd tell him to take it up with the seller.

If the guy feels he didn't get what he paid for, he needs to take it up with the seller, then eBay.  Not in the way he did, though.

He's not wrong though.  It doesn't look like a 9.6.  But definitely more of a 9.4 than a 7.0.

Biggest problem in this entire event is the mentality of "the experts graded it, how dare you question it".