• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Comic Series of All-Time
3 3

70 posts in this topic

So far I have 3 Criteria for consideration for choosing a series.

1: Longevity (Minimum 100 issues or 10+ Years of Publication in an unbroken run)

2: Historical Significance/Contributions to Comics

3: Cultural Impact

So far I have 5 series. 

Adventure Comics

More Fun Comics

The Brave and the Bold

Showcase

Shonen Jump

Anyone else have a series to add or criteria that should be used?

I would like to do a poll once I've gathered the some insights.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:47 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I’d take out both the 100 + issues and decade criteria.

Very limiting, and really, do many series have that degree of continuous, highest-level consistency?

That's sort of the point. Best of the the Best. Someone said ASM and FF. Those 2 series could be solely defined by the first decade or so as being their peak. While others could say some series, like Uncanny X-Men, didn't start to be great until it reached the 100+ issue mark.

On 2/15/2023 at 7:59 AM, Krydel4 said:

That's sort of the point. Best of the the Best. Someone said ASM and FF. Those 2 series could be solely defined by the first decade or so as being their peak. While others could say some series, like Uncanny X-Men, didn't start to be great until it reached the 100+ issue mark.

With all of those there’s still for me a degree of inconsistency within the timeframes. There’s passable, bad, and admittedly brilliant: peaks and troughs, interspersed greatness, but hardly continuous.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, OtherEric said:

Four Color has to be on the list as a candidate, at least.

Serious question,  what's so special.about Four color ? Thot it was an anthology series. Is it because many first appearances were from these books. For me it would be FF or ASM for its impact on comicdom in terms of characterisation and story telling.  That's for American comics. Personally for me, lone wolf and cub ranks among the greatest comic books ever done. 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:41 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

The only one I could see an argument for outside these parameters (but I'm sure someone could make a compelling argument for anything) is TMNT Vol.1, which didn't reach 100 issues or 10 years, although it was close.

Part of the reason I set the bar at 100 issues or 10 years is that it shows a level of consistency. 3 or 4 bad issues in a row can kill a series. There may have been a dud issue for every 10 issues of the first hundred or so of ASM but it was that continued storytelling consistency that drove it to great heights. But Longevity is just one of the criteria.

If we're going a 'greatest stories' route, then I'd posit that Detective Comics or Batman would be at the top of the genre, considering how many great runs he's had and how popular he is as a character through time. Amazing Spider-Man could challenge, as I know the history of that title is rich, but I haven't read as much Spidey as I have Bats.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, jdandns said:

Greatest 100+ issue sustained run in a long-running title is probably Peter David's run from "Incredible Hulk". 

Great choice. I was thinking about that one; consistently good stories, lots of nice artwork.