• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2023 at 3:14 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Nice callback! :roflmao:

I was curious what that was about 🧐, took a guess to relate to it. Who'd of thought I'd laugh at suckers on a table haha, had to have been there kind of thing 😂

On 2/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, wurstisart said:

To laser a serial number takes maybe 3 seconds, we do it at work all the time on hundred of thousands of items.

To implement the laser tech is an added cost. 

It also adds a new level of complexity to a process that already has Quality Control issues. 

Just imagine mixing up the laser serial numbers the way some labels already get mixed up. 

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it adds lots of time and cost and uses up resources in an already strained encapsulation system. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:52 AM, buttock said:

The solution is to slab the slab with a seal on both, laser etched numbers, and holographic QR codes on everything.  And put one of those blue dye packets in that explodes when you open it. 

The "new guy" on his first day cracking the new slabs.. 

200-14.gif.49d2279e98ea4c316c767a4b32c355b2.gif

On 2/25/2023 at 12:22 PM, wurstisart said:

Why does CGC or similar not engrave / laser the plastic holder with the serial number or other identification so that the plastic case can’t get misused for other books?

OK it would still allow to take the graded book out and put a copy or similar of that  book in the case, but at least it would not allow a graded 25 USD book to be used to fake a high grade rare book.

Seems at least to be an easy fix / introduction for CGC.

The better question is what exactly are you paying for when you have to pay a percentage of a high dollar book compared to when you're slabbing some random $10 ASM? You getting the same exact thing but you're paying a whole lot more for it so what exactly goes into what you're paying for with that? Perhaps some of that money that you're paying for should go into a little bit more secure slab when it's a high dollar comic-like Hulk 1. That only seems reasonable.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Another unsealed slab

6A450F19-38FA-470B-9CD6-BAFD8FC7718F.jpeg.b5a10845d5df8ba0ef72c54982d70635.jpeg

I read that post. This is another example of why following the end of my paid membership in September I must very carefully consider if it is worth continuing with such not to write, but I will, of having to determine if a slabbed comic book is authentic. Thankfully, I only purchase CGC graded comic books from reputable dealers and my days of purchasing expensive ones is likely over and the cheap ones I buy will likely never be worth "faking" because, well, who the hell wants them but me.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, VintageComics said:

Just imagine mixing up the laser serial numbers the way some labels already get mixed up.

Even the US Treasury sometimes lets mixed serial number dollars slip out into circulation.  Those are typically worth more...  hm

On 3/1/2023 at 1:55 PM, Yorick said:
On 2/28/2023 at 7:14 PM, VintageComics said:

Even the US Treasury sometimes lets mixed serial number dollars slip out into circulation.  Those are typically worth more...  hm

Using the logic posited by some in this thread, then all money must be worthless because of those few errors. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Bookery said:

To get back on topic... I would be very interested in any updates on this.  It seems there are enough witnesses to this seller (sellers?) to be able to track them down pretty quickly.  There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to how many books are involved, exactly how some of these deals transpired, and just some overall general bizarreness to it all.  Hoping for more details and clarity, so that we can all keep a lookout for this sort of thing, and maybe even ultimately help the victims recover some of their money.

I've been talking to the owner of the Hulk 1 a bit...seems like theres 3 people in total who've bought from the same guy in person...and I think at least 6 books (plus some raws) involved - tho the one that stands out is the fake Cap 1 cover and the ASM 1 (same guy)... as I understand it he's the only one who hasn't filed a police report. 

The police have been dragging their feet with the Hulk 1. Starbucks has video of the exchange but will only release it to the police - who haven't done anything about it. 

On 3/2/2023 at 3:26 PM, Ozonetv said:

I've been talking to the owner of the Hulk 1 a bit...seems like theres 3 people in total who've bought from the same guy in person...and I think at least 6 books (plus some raws) involved - tho the one that stands out is the fake Cap 1 cover and the ASM 1 (same guy)... as I understand it he's the only one who hasn't filed a police report. 

The police have been dragging their feet with the Hulk 1. Starbucks has video of the exchange but will only release it to the police - who haven't done anything about it. 

Sounds like the Cap 1 was free.  So nothing to charge there.  Guess the issue is the ASM1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, WolverineX said:

Sounds like the Cap 1 was free.  So nothing to charge there.  Guess the issue is the ASM1

Yeah- not sure what kinda scam is slipping in something like that for free.  But the ASM 1 is def an issue...as far as I know there was no mention of it in the video he posted when he originally bought the  throws in collection. He also tried to trade the Cap 1 cover very quickly (didn't seem to want to sell it or send it to Heritage). It’s the sketchiest of the group.

Edited by Ozonetv