• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

Superior Preservation and Security

The holder’s sturdy outer plastic better resists impacts. The holder design uses precise pressure to lock the comic in place for enhanced protection, and the hologram affirming authenticity is now hot-­stamped and embedded into the plastic for improved protection and increased security.

This is all I could find from CGC's web site on slab security.  Everything else is just second hand information on how to tell if a slab has been compromised, shouldn’t CGC be taking a lead on educating collectors and dealers?

What is the tipping point between a cosmetic flaw and a compromised holder? 

Edited by Topnotchman
Spelling

On 2/23/2023 at 8:25 AM, jsilverjanet said:
On 2/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dr. Balls said:

A boardie was selling them awhile back. They turn up here from time to time. I think dealers use them to display books, too.

@lizards2 aren't you the one who's supplying the open slabs?

you may want to get a lawyer

Yes - I have more, as I am constantly freeing enslaved books.

All you need to do is pay postage. PM me your zip code and how many you need.

P.S. - they don't come with labels, or the inner wells with two sides missing.

Troubling to say the least, I had to look closely before really seeing the discrepancy.  Scammers will only get better, as someone pointed out.  Collectors such as myself are atleast now in the loop and will be mindful going forward, thanks @JTD.  

Edited by Comic-Fan

It's easy for us to sit back here and say we all would have 100% caught these things. Keep in mind it's easier to notice these things when you have already been alerted to it. I agree people should practice due diligence but there needs to be more empathy for victims of scams (we can't expect everyone to be expert authenticators and graders... which is why services like CGC exist in the first place). As a community we should hold grading companies accountable for better safeguards against counterfeits. I look forward to seeing CGC's response to this. 

There is something odd and amiss with this whole story, and it's about as obvious as the small discrepancies with label.

What I'd like to know is what the guy paid (got ripped off) for a Hulk #1. If it's anywhere under $12-15k, then how could that not be a red flag in itself?

Among the Facebook threads there was some insinuation toward what was paid. Anybody with 40 years of comic industry experience is going to know what a book like that is worth. In fact, had it been anything under that amount, the question then comes up of who was ripping off who, especially in lieu of the latter points to be described in this comment.

I'd like to know some numbers in these stories. But even if he got it for $1, this is extremely damaging to the industry as a whole. I find it hard to believe that one single lone "scammer" is at the root of this.

All aside, here's the real kicker that may throw the whole thing through a loop: back about 7-8 months ago there was a Hibid auction up in that Spokane corridor that had nearly every single one of those books this guy has pictured in a single lot (along with various miscellaneous things like furniture and even a fur coat). When I happened upon it, I can't say my eyes didn't get big and wide with what-ifs and dreams of the jackpot. But I learned at a very young age if it's too good to be true it is.

The photographs for the auction we're not clear enough to read the labels, in any request for more information is ignored in that type of auction. So I rationally assumed most of those were just facsimile graded books - mainly the Hulk(s), GSXM 1, Spidey, etc. There was a box of raw comics that they carelessly photographed enough to show what may have been considered a somewhat lucrative raw collection. Enough that I bid $150 mainly for the few ASM's that caught my eye. In the end, I'm sure overzealous hopes were what won that auction. If I recall, I think it closed at about $400 to $500.

Nobody's going to be that lucky or stupid enough to believe they should be so fortunate to win an auction for that many key comic books at $4 to $500. And that's even to say if the focus of their purchase wasnt directed at some of the other ticket items in the lot, which I think included some kind of signed letter from Audrey Hepburn and an ivory walking cane.

Point being that The whole thing borderlined absurdity, as does this guys story. You can't crack a slab without there being some evidence, period. That's what they're designed foremost with the intention of providing.

So then, if there is any validity to these poor saps claimed misfortunes, they may be in pursuit of this lone "scammer" (unlikely) to the avail of finding he was the winner of that auction. However, maybe he was the seller?

Either way, when I offered up this information, the guy promptly went so far as to name me as the scammer. Well hell, I need that bs like I need a kick in the groin. I don't particularly need a kick in the groin, and when I do, my wife has a long standing tab on that tally😆.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, VintageComics said:

To be clear, I am not saying they SHOULDN'T have an eye for these sorts of things. We all should.

But we all don't, and I wouldn't be too hard on the people who don't. That's all I'm saying. 

Agree.

A given person may have caught this scam, but have been fooled by another.  Compassion is called for.

Take home message from this thread:  be wary, educate yourself.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:48 PM, 10centcomics said:

It's easy for us to sit back here and say we all would have 100% caught these things. Keep in mind it's easier to notice these things when you have already been alerted to it. I agree people should practice due diligence but there needs to be more empathy for victims of scams (we can't expect everyone to be expert authenticators and graders... which is why services like CGC exist in the first place). As a community we should hold grading companies accountable for better safeguards against counterfeits. I look forward to seeing CGC's response to this. 

I agree. 

That's the illusion of fraud. Much like magic, it preys on where you're NOT expected to be looking and strikes deep in the heart of it. 

I think if we had a 100 boardies in a room passing around books at a swap meet before this was exposed, many would miss these fakes.

And another reason to deal with established sellers with a good track record.

Again, scammers at this level will try to prey on the FOMO phenomenon.  All scammers in all fields do this.  You get offered a good deal on something and a lot of people will get excited and jump on it.  It's not a big deal with a $50 item that looks good though turns out to be fake...big deal.  Seems like this deal was for a good amount of money, though with just such a discount that the buyer probably figured that if he didn't pull the trigger that moment, he'd lose that more than decent deal.  

On 2/23/2023 at 11:19 AM, jsilverjanet said:

what's ironic is that for someone who questions how people can blindly accept "authorities seal of approval" on things, you seemed to have a more lenient view on peoples ignorance when it comes to CGC slabs

You're baiting me into a political commentary from a conversation elsewhere. Nice try. :D

And you're misunderstand / mixing different ideological principles. :wink:

When someone IS EMPLOYED IN YOUR SERVICE you should expect full transparency relating to the employment and nothing less. They work for you and owe you that. You can demand it and if they don't give it to you, they can't be trusted and need to get fired. Imagine you hire someone and they won't tell you what they do for you in an 8 hour work day? lol

But in CAPITALISM, when buying and selling, it's every man for himself. So buyer beware. Proceed with caution. Road may be out ahead. etc. 

The two are TOTALLY different things.  

Hopefully that helps. :angel:

On 2/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, davidpg said:

You get offered a good deal on something and a lot of people will get excited and jump on it. 

You mean, it's like picking up someone at a bar? If you get too excited without doing your diligence it may come back to haunt you?

Like that?

On 2/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, 500Club said:

Compassion is called for.

Take home message from this thread:  be wary, educate yourself.

Here here. Their is only one person who is guilty but that’s small comfort to the guy out the bucks. As the recipient of more than a few books with undisclosed restoration over the decades I can feel the OPs pain.