• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heart over head
3 3

13 posts in this topic

When Heritage was offering all those early 70s Swanderson pages over the last couple of years, I got a few, all from issues I had actually read as a kid. I can't say those pages are objectively better or more valuable than the ones i passed by. Indeed, I stopped bidding on some precisely because their value to somebody else was more than I was prepared to pay.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, Will_K said:

Sometimes you just have to buy what you like. 

For OP @KirbyCollector did the page come from an issue with nostalgic value ?  Or was there really some pure artistic interest in that panel ?

The panel just spoke to me, it was beautiful while conveying a lot of pathos. Sometimes the stars just align and artists tap into the same magic which made Greek art the envy of the world... The ancient world knew how to combine beauty and emotion on a sublime level, but it is rare to see in today's comics due to most artists lacking classical training and life drawing skills.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/2/2023 at 9:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

When I was a kid, I used to buy comics which had amazing covers -- regardless of the art or story inside (Gil Kane covers got me every time). Yesterday, I found myself buying a page because of a single panel I just couldn't stop staring at for two weeks. I thought my art purchases would be more rational as I got older, but it is going the other way! For those who can separate their emotions from art collecting, I have a lot of respect for you...

As a kid, I came from a different direction. For me, the plot and storyline were way more important than the art; the art, for the most part, just expanded on the storyline. There were exceptions, like Swamp Thing, where art by Wrightson, Redondo and Tottleben, all struck a chord, as did Adams. But if the storyline wasn’t good, the art didn’t matter. Interesting how you mentioned Kane because I didn’t care for his work. While I am aware (and was only dimly aware as a child) the draftsmanship was excellent, there is a coldness to it. That’s okay for Green Lantern while in outer space but I like heat in the artistry. 

I have bought art where a single panel gets my attention. Nothing irrational about that. In fact, you may well find that it is reflected in the value of the piece. I still like warmth in the page, however, both via words and art. But, I favor a diversity of style even when I am not thrilled with the piece. I think a good way to highlight the good in your collection is to mix in some “eh” pieces for comparison. 

It would be my preference to buy art from memorable storylines but alas prices have skyrocketed and that is nearly impossible. When I look at pages now I try to look for a piece of art that attracts my attention even if I haven't read the comic.