• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you publicize this find?

Would you publicize this find?   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Would you publicize this find?

• Yes
    • No
    • Let's smoke some crack and think about it

59 posts in this topic

I see local comic stores advertising stuff in collections they buy, so that part is fair game. Gotta drum up business and recoup the cost of buying somehow. The weird part for me is the deal isn't even done yet. 

I'm of the philosophy of never showing people how the magic happens. Yes, he's a dealer and he buys collections - but keep the mystery alive. When I had my shop, I routinely ordered multiple "hot" back issues from that mail-order place on the backs of books and this newfangled thing called "internet bulletin boards" in the 90s. I would put one up and let the customer think it was the only one around, the day after he bought it, I'd put another one back on the wall. It helped my shop was in a small town in the middle of Montana - where the Wizard Top 10 books were always hard to find, so getting them in was a boon for business.

Bragging publicly about multiple copies erodes the "gotta-have-it" mentality.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, Robot Man said:

No! Hard to do sometimes but keep yer trap shut. This guy is just bragging.

That is the trouble with books like this. Sooo many copies in high grade. I just can’t see fools paying much for most of it.

By showing all your cards so to speak, you are just devaluing what you do have.

I’m not impressed…

Bob, you are sooo right.  Man, I get tired of looking at collections like this.  Sooo much spoon out there!

On 3/6/2023 at 2:22 AM, bronze_rules said:

I could swear this collection came from a friend of mine when I was much younger. He literally had a box of those New Teen Titans 2 issues when they came out. Man, I was envious.

I’m on Long Island, and once found a collection with 17 copies of NTT2, 10 sets of She-Hulk 1-12, and multiples of many random issues. Nothing else spectacular. It was definitely fun spreading those copies on a table. 

I agree with most and would not advertise it to the world. He should’ve held back wanting attention, but in our society driven by “likes,” he just couldn’t resist. Again, the deal isn’t even complete. Crazy. 

On 3/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, Moondog said:

Bob, you are sooo right.  Man, I get tired of looking at collections like this.  Sooo much spoon out there!

Gary, if you ever get tired of looking at collections of dozens of bronze and copper keys, send em my way. Happy to go blind looking at that stuff every day for a LONG time. 

It might be garbage to old school guys, but it's a big deal to younger collectors. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, Robot Man said:

I just can’t see fools paying much for most of it.

Why? ???

There are hundreds of copies already on eBay of each of those. A few dozen isn't going to move the price a cent. There's near-infinite demand for stuff like X-Men 141 and NTT 2. 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, october said:

Why? ???

There are hundreds of copies already on eBay of each of those. A few dozen isn't going to move the price a cent. There's near-infinite demand for stuff like X-Men 141 and NTT 2. 

This is exactly right. Unless it is a legit rare book the census count will be continually expanding, and it makes little to no difference if one person sends in 17 copies since there are already tons in the census. They are all just drops in a much larger bucket. For example, the NTT 2 already has 786 copies in the census at 9.8 alone. If that number grew to 796 or something like that I can't see it mattering to anyone who was figuring out how much they are willing to pay for their copy. 

On 3/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, october said:

Gary, if you ever get tired of looking at collections of dozens of bronze and copper keys, send em my way. Happy to go blind looking at that stuff every day for a LONG time. 

It might be garbage to old school guys, but it's a big deal to younger collectors. 

Pay no attention to that geezer behind the curtain @Moondog