• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We love collecting Golden Age books, but which series are the best for reading?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I understand that due to the nature of the comic book industry at the time, very few of these GA books are actually well-written. From what I can tell, most series were anthologies and not much thought was given to continuity, an expanded universe, recurring villains (some exceptions are Joker and Red Skull), character development, or nuance. Stories were very formulaic, dialogue was stilted, etc. I'm wondering if there are any series that transcend ephemeral novelty and are actually enjoyable reads. I have seen a lot of people say that the best GA in terms of quality are the ECs, Planet Comics, The Spirit, and early Batman/Detective Comics (this last one surprises me, though I've never read any of early Batman). 

Are there any series that you think are worth the read? It's hard to get information regarding the quality of GA books, partly because they're so old and out of the fray of media competing for our attention, and party because they're typically discussed with respect to investment and collecting.

The EC Horror and Sci-fi stories are fun to read, in no small part because of the humor that was successfully interjected into even the most grim stories.

Most GA stories are a little uninspired compared to BA and CA stories. They can be fun to read in order to have a chuckle at how dated they are, etc., but they're just not great literature.

Edited by jimbo_7071

As a PCH and crime comics collector, I've found that the early issues, ESP with PCH, seem to have had reasonably good stories.  This is ESP true with both Harvey and Atlas's fare, which unfortunately then degenerated in both story and art later in the pre-code era.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:40 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

with rarely any continuation (the Sub-Mariner - Human Torch epic battle being a rare exception).

You can find such continuations here and there. You can find it in Tarzan where a story's starting point can be a reference to an earlier issue. I just read # 31 IIRC where the professor comes back to Tarzan and mentions that the dinosaur egg samples they collected together 4 or 5 issues back were broken in transit to the US and they need to go back to collect more. This is just one instance but it's not uncommon in Tarzan. The first 20+? issues of Lassie are one long continuity. The Our Gang stories have a similar flavor. Then, also from Dell, you have to consider the long serials in the back-up features. Brothers of the Spear in Tarzan or Young Hawk in the Lone Ranger were shorter stories that ran as serials so you need to read from one issue to the next to accompany the characters on their journey / adventures.

I agree with all the recommendations already posted.

I am a horror/sci fi guy primarily although have a fondness for nearly all genres. Nobody did it better than EC as a whole.

I can take or leave a lot of superhero stuff. But my favorite stuff would be pre Robin Detective, More Fun is also an excellent title, and the early Capt. America horror stuff is highly recomended. These can all be obtained through reprints.