• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book has tanked the hardest?
2 2

99 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2023 at 12:29 PM, rjpb said:

Still, GA has seen a big run up in a lot of genres in the last few years, and even as some genres continued to climb, others that had an earlier bump slid a bit. Teen humor titles, even with sold GGA art covers, generally sell for about half their peak prices from 3 or 4 years ago. Except for the high demand classic covers and truly scarce books, I'd say the market has largely plateaued after huge gains from 2020 to 2022, with some slight softening for a lot of post-war books with no distinction in content or cover. Overall the market is still solid, and still comparatively hot in some areas like PCH and WW2 covers, but the days of automatically asking a higher price than the last sale if it was more than a few months old are past. There are some still some auction surprises, notably from Heritage, but increasingly they feel more like outliers than new benchmarks. 

The major keys are their own thing. Out of range for most collectors even in low grade, they've seen a huge jump in the last few years, but as the marquee books set new records, the pricey keys with less awareness outside the GA market, like All-Star #8 or More Fun #73, seem to be off their peak, though in those two cases lack of a cover appearance by the debut characters may be a factor. 

There is definitely a softening in GA, even in the PCH I collect.  I'm starting to find some okay deals in lower grade, oddball PCH.  When I get outbid, it usually isn't by much, and the final price is reflective of a decline.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:06 AM, mjoeyoung said:

There is definitely a softening in GA, even in the PCH I collect.  I'm starting to find some okay deals in lower grade, oddball PCH.  When I get outbid, it usually isn't by much, and the final price is reflective of a decline.

I have not done a comprehensive analysis and would probably agree that GA on average has plateaued, but:

1. I am not concerned any “bubble” exists or is about to pop. I expect sustained growth and more $ moving in the GA market from the SA/BA market as those bubbles pop and the lack of challenge in getting anything SA or newer strikes more and more collectors/investors;

2. I’m surprised about the comment “Teen humor titles, even with sold GGA art covers, generally sell for about half their peak prices from 3 or 4 years ago. “  Every one of these I’ve bid on lately have gone around GPA or higher, although admittedly I focus on higher grade and HTF which may perform better. Indeed, I think the Georgie Mopsy Ginger Suzie and other MLJ titles like these, including all of the more mainstream Archie titles in HG, are among the most attractive buys and are the competition for these increases daily.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:29 AM, whomerjay said:

I have not done a comprehensive analysis and would probably agree that GA on average has plateaued, but:

1. I am not concerned any “bubble” exists or is about to pop. I expect sustained growth and more $ moving in the GA market from the SA/BA market as those bubbles pop and the lack of challenge in getting anything SA or newer strikes more and more collectors/investors;

2. I’m surprised about the comment “Teen humor titles, even with sold GGA art covers, generally sell for about half their peak prices from 3 or 4 years ago. “  Every one of these I’ve bid on lately have gone around GPA or higher, although admittedly I focus on higher grade and HTF which may perform better. Indeed, I think the Georgie Mopsy Ginger Suzie and other MLJ titles like these, including all of the more mainstream Archie titles in HG, are among the most attractive buys and are the competition for these increases daily.

Higher grade and HTF may still hit new highs, but low to mid grade copies of most books are down from their 2018 peak, though maybe there has been a recent rebound, as much of the drop was 2-3 years ago. A case in point is Georgie #28, with one of the better covers of the run. I don't have access to GPA, but looking at Heritage archives, a 6.0 sold for $600 in July 2018, then $456 in Jan. 2019, and then again for $288 in June of 2019. I was the buyer in the last case, and did manage to turn it around for a small profit, but less than the Jan 2019 price. That same copy is now available for $250 through MCS.

Meanwhile a 5.5 sold for $228 in Jan 2019, but sold again for $169 in June of 2020. 

I've seen similar pricing histories with other Timely/Atlas teen humor books. MLJ s may be faring better, though it's often seemed like there is a big range on realized prices (in the lower to mid grades at least), making trends a little harder to track. I'm not surprised that HG copies are performing well, as you say, in that they are probably looking more attractive pricewise compared to a lot of books in other genres that have increased 200-400% in price in the last few years.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:06 PM, rjpb said:

Higher grade and HTF may still hit new highs, but low to mid grade copies of most books are down from their 2018 peak, though maybe there has been a recent rebound, as much of the drop was 2-3 years ago. A case in point is Georgie #28, with one of the better covers of the run. I don't have access to GPA, but looking at Heritage archives, a 6.0 sold for $600 in July 2018, then $456 in Jan. 2019, and then again for $288 in June of 2019. I was the buyer in the last case, and did manage to turn it around for a small profit, but less than the Jan 2019 price. That same copy is now available for $250 through MCS.

Meanwhile a 5.5 sold for $228 in Jan 2019, but sold again for $169 in June of 2020. 

I've seen similar pricing histories with other Timely/Atlas teen humor books. MLJ s may be faring better, though it's often seemed like there is a big range on realized prices (in the lower to mid grades at least), making trends a little harder to track. I'm not surprised that HG copies are performing well, as you say, in that they are probably looking more attractive pricewise compared to a lot of books in other genres that have increased 200-400% in price in the last few years.

I get the low to mid grade crapping out… at least for most of those books I assume there exists a significant number of raw copies meaning the low census numbers don’t mean much. my sense is higher grade books of this genre are relatively HTF (compared to superhero sci fi even horror). Perhaps because these titles were passed around more, or not bagged/boarded or slabbed because they were bargain box fodder for so long? I guess you can say that for a lot of other books, but I simply don’t see a lot of high grade in the teen humor esp with GGA. Tons of low grade. Same with almost all Archie related. 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, whomerjay said:

I get the low to mid grade crapping out… at least for most of those books I assume there exists a significant number of raw copies meaning the low census numbers don’t mean much. my sense is higher grade books of this genre are relatively HTF (compared to superhero sci fi even horror). Perhaps because these titles were passed around more, or not bagged/boarded or slabbed because they were bargain box fodder for so long? I guess you can say that for a lot of other books, but I simply don’t see a lot of high grade in the teen humor esp with GGA. Tons of low grade. Same with almost all Archie related. 

Scarcity in grade is pretty much true of all Golden Age, except maybe EC, Harvey and a few warehouse finds of random issues, but the bargain box issue probably did reduce the number of nicer books (the same for romance, western and other long ignored genres) 

On 3/15/2023 at 7:47 PM, 1Cool said:

Were western comics ever expensive by todays standards?  

“Expensive” is of course a relative term.  Some prices from Overstreet 2021-2022 for books in 9.2:

Roy Rogers  (Four Color #38).  $4,500

Lone Ranger(Large Feature Comic #3).  $4,400

And I am by no means an expert on westerns.  Just repeating what I have heard from dealers.

while some of this thread has made me smile as I did sell at the right time on some books (usually it's the other way around), it's a bit disconcerting that some people are holding very expensive paper weights

they more than likely will never see that money again, and more than likely will never buy like they did before

On 3/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, Black_Adam said:

Did anyone mention Shazam #28 yet? Now that everyone has smelled what the Rock was cooking, the 1st bronze age appearance of Black Adam (in CGC 9.4) has tumbled from a high of $2150 in November 2021 to a lowly $281 in December 2022.

"Black Adam?!? This is impossible! You're dead!"

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F8%2F0%2F1%2F23801528%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Ouch!

A lot of the tmnt, ie #4's 1st and 2nd print

were in the $500 range, for 9.4

now only $300 etc. it really is everywhere with my collection, be it mostly the minor keys.

On 3/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

A lot of the tmnt, ie #4's 1st and 2nd print

were in the $500 range, for 9.4

now only $300 etc. it really is everywhere with my collection, be it mostly the minor keys.

I have many reasons to pass 2nd and 3 print copies in last few years.  I am happy I didn't take it.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, JollyComics said:

I have many reasons to pass 2nd and 3 print copies in last few years.  I am happy I didn't take it.

For tmnt it was to complete the set of course, and I still need number 1, some printing lol

There are many more that I vaguely looked up, but I'm not remembering al of them, mostly because I'm choosing to take courage the market will rebound and I won't see the loss. It's there I hope, I know it IS but will it still be?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

For tmnt it was to complete the set of course, and I still need number 1, some printing lol

There are many more that I vaguely looked up, but I'm not remembering al of them, mostly because I'm choosing to take courage the market will rebound and I won't see the loss. It's there I hope, I know it IS but will it still be?

I had CGC 8.5 White Pages 1st Print.   I regretted that I let it go more than ten years ago.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:46 PM, Krydel4 said:

Maybe this one... Hasn't necessarily tanked a lot like Ms. Marvel 1 but is not near the highs of when the movie came out.  

Special Marvel Edition 15.jpg

Shh don’t let many in on this dip trying to get a deal lol 

On 3/22/2023 at 2:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

I know it's not golden age, but this book will definitely not soften in price.  It creates a lot of stiff competition for people who want to bid and own this book.

Rifleman10.jpeg

And prices have engorged because it's hard to get in high grade. 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:17 PM, JollyComics said:

It's hard to come in handy too.

You are a true master debater (thumbsu

Edited by s-man