• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5 M-SHE-U Failures
4 4

505 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2023 at 2:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

over-powered

Familiar with the word as a verb; as an adjective, though? Fascinating. Well the battle for equity is fought in the dictionary, after all.

The movies forum was a quieter but less interesting place during your hiatus, friend.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

In their own words from 8 months ago.

7:04 - "We just didn't know what to do with him. We were like what do you do with this big, powerful character?"

I know a director who could figure it out. hm Hulk might even be his favorite Marvel hero...

On 3/24/2023 at 5:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I know a director who could figure it out. hm Hulk might even be his favorite Marvel hero...

There absolutely must be some problem with the film rights and multiple higher ups meddling.

Edited by Artboy99

On 3/24/2023 at 9:36 AM, Artboy99 said:

There absolutely must be some problem with the film rights and multiple higher ups meddling.

IIRC the rights to Hulk are limited in that he cannot have his own film under Disney.  

On 3/22/2023 at 8:54 PM, sfcityduck said:

I didn't give any thought to what the religion was of any superhero as I was growing up.  Why would you?  Aside from Spire Christian Comics none of the publishers had a religious agenda. The only characters who I can think of built on a religious orientation were pagans of some sort.  

Daredevil. It was integral to his character, and his most classic storylines as well.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, drotto said:

I do not necessarily think Feige must go (but I am close), but I think Iger should insist someone needs to be brought in to "help" him.

I have never been able to figure out why Feige decided to emulate the Marvel Now circa 2015 as his template for the MCU going forward.  You have decades of great material, and he decided to mine an era that is pretty much acknowledged as a failure in the comics. Those stories and most of the characters had already been rejected by fans, but hey we can make this work on film? Just dumb.

Just a thought, but I imagine it was to sell more Disney related toys / clothing / Halloween costumes / etc...
With SW ting the bed outside of Grogu merch they pressed hard on one of their other vertical lines of profit
Verticals gunna vertical.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, jcjames said:

Daredevil. It was integral to his character, and his most classic storylines as well.

I believe it was Frank Miller who first tied Christian themes into the Daredevil mythos with the Born Again storyline. My theory is that Mr Miller was influenced by the cinema of Martin Scorsese who infused Catholicism and sin into almost everything he did. I see Daredevil Born Again as almost an evolution of Batman Year One, which to me is basically Batman meets Scorsese’s Taxi Driver. My analysis anyway.

On 3/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, sfcityduck said:

In that example, there is no point.  

But that is hardly analogous to casting a black woman, Zendaya, as Gwen despite that Gwen is white in the comics.  The reason for casting Zendaya might include her talent, her beauty, her chemistry with her co-star, and even to make a point about the difference between our society today and our society way back when Gwen was cast as white in the comics and segregation was still a thing. Do you really think any of those reasons are illegit as a reason to cast Gwen as black?  

Was Zendaya Gwen?
I thought she was portraying M.J.
(Michelle Jones-Watson...according the internet)

On 3/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, TupennyConan said:

Ruffalo Hulk aka Smart Hulk is the worst character or actor character combination in the history of cinema.  

isn't that more due to Ruffalo's Banner and not Hulk

On 3/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, jsilverjanet said:

isn't that more due to Ruffalo's Banner and not Hulk

I see your point. It does get a bit confusing [this is part of what makes the Hulk a compelling character]. What I mean is everything Banner/Hulk from Hulk getting defeated by Thanos forward.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I believe it was Frank Miller who first tied Christian themes into the Daredevil mythos with the Born Again storyline. My theory is that Mr Miller was influenced by the cinema of Martin Scorsese who infused Catholicism and sin into almost everything he did. I see Daredevil Born Again as almost an evolution of Batman Year One, which to me is basically Batman meets Scorsese’s Taxi Driver. My analysis anyway.

Matt Murdock's overt Christianity - and Catholicism - predates Miller.

He meets with a priest to discuss faith in # 119 - and, while I haven't read it in decades, I'm fairly sure he briefly touches on his faith in # 53 as well.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, jcjames said:

It was also an emphasized point with Nightcrawler, but that was supposed to be contrasting his devilish look to his strong faith. So it was done to explore that conflict.  It was also emphasized Kitty was Jewish, and Wolverine is more or less confirmed as agnostic. But again, these were done as part of the character and sometimes used to explore how it changed or influences their interactions with other characters.  For example Nightcrawler and Wolverine being good friends and could talk about stuff like this, but came form a very different mindset.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:13 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Matt Murdock's overt Christianity - and Catholicism - predates Miller.

He meets with a priest to discuss faith in # 119 - and, while I haven't read it in decades, I'm fairly sure he briefly touches on his faith in # 53 as well.

I’m not as familiar with a lot of DD pre-Miller. I did look at #119. No doubt Matt was probably established as Irish Catholic early on, but the overt use of Christian symbols, metaphors, and story themes didn’t get used in Daredevil until Born Again, as far as I know. It’s barely even in Miller’s first DD run, excepting #177 where the devil is used as a visual metaphor.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2023 at 8:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They put all of these great quotes in their movies and never live by them.

Kevin Feige and those folks at Marvel Studios live by the greatest Marvel quote of all, “With great power comes great responsibility.”