• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

news story on Detroit comic collection
7 7

82 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2023 at 9:24 AM, seanfingh said:

It 100% was hoarding.  It's pretty clear that in some ways the dad poured more into the hoard than he did into his family. The son still obviously was very emotionally attached to his dad - but he clearly wanted the dad to include him more in whatever the dad was into. They hinted at the fact that no one was allowed to touch anything. It's possible that no one else was allowed into the home.  It seems like a pretty jacked up situation.

Hoarders usually hoard junk and trash and don’t take care of it. I would rather think of it as a “compulsion”. Maybe even kind of a mental illness at this point.

This story rings soundly like Edgar Church. Except his heirs, seemed to just want to wash him and his compulsion out of their lives.

When the compulsion alienates your family to this extent, it is very sad.

His family now seems to enjoy the limelight and the financial rewards these are going to give them. 

I feel so torn about this story… I mean on the one hand I felt bad for Dale that his family only now seems happy about his collection after they realize they won the lottery…. But they seem so bitter about it kind of but I understand that they said he alienated them no one was allowed to touch the books etc… and it caused a divorce… I wonder if she would of divorced him knowing it was a huge pay day down the road or not… but either way rest in peace and good luck to the family hopefully this moment everyone can find happiness and move forward in a positive way! 

While it is hoarding in a way, consider the fact he apparently also had Asperger's Syndrome, so the wild collecting/hoarding/whatever you want to call it may be somewhat explained by that.  His focus, repetitive collecting, organization of the comics (?) to that extent may be a direct result of Asperger's.  In any case, I can understand why the family may have found it difficult to deal with this.  I'm guessing when you have shipping containers worth of "stuff" all around the house, it may have gotten a bit much for the average person to deal with.  Especially understandable why they'd be kind of perturbed when they said they never really knew what was inside the boxes - all they knew was they may have contained some popular comics.  I really don't have any issues with him doing it or them getting perturbed by it.  It's an incredible collection.

Family was told not to enter certain rooms, not at all allowing family to participate in his life passion during life. Friends were not allowed over, no one was even allowed to mention the comics to others, and the family themselves were not even allowed to see any part of collection that took up every dollar and minute of the mans spare time. This is all from the video snipet, the full length doc will clarify further. I cant wrap my head around the multiple 40' shipping containers he had built under/around house to hold collection, and the multiples of every key in high grades. But for what purpose, to die, while having pushed your family away, and now family get heckled for how they disburse this lifes obsession, that for decades had maybe created a hostile family dynamic?

A lawyers with aspergers contributing to compulsive accumulation, resulting in maybe the biggest find in decades. I would guess family is even underselling the value of this hoard.