• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

news story on Detroit comic collection
7 7

82 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, seanfingh said:

Just so I understand you - You are saying because they are going to get money they should say nicer things?

yuuuuuuuupppppppppp !!!

(actually I was just kidding............................)

it's actually an extremely fascinating story, and I think many of us on here may relate to this guy (the father) at least in a small way 

Edited by fishbone

On 3/30/2023 at 1:28 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 3/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, seanfingh said:
On 3/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, fishbone said:

whatever it was, hoarding, mental illness, Aspbergers, a normal collector like all of us (!) .......  family hit the JACKPOT and should be kinder in the words they use to describe this man

Just so I understand you - You are saying because they are going to get money they should say nicer things?

Cash is king, fingh! 

Don't you mean cash is kingh, fingh?

Edited by Jeffro.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

I think the family is just telling the truth.  I think they loved this man but couldn't deal with his hobby and that was a factor in breaking up the family.  Yes the family is now enjoying a windfall profit from his hobby but money doesn't repair relationships or the past.

I try to imagine what it would be like if my wife collected shoes.  If she continued to spend the majority of household income on them and owned thousands and they were stacked in boxes in every room in the house and more arrived every day.  If we couldn't afford to go on holidays or a new car or whatever.  Food and a roof isn't enough.  It's not healthy and it will usually lead to conflict and divorce.

Was that the case here? He was a lawyer so assume he had a fair amount of discretionary income.

When I watched the piece, I got the impression that the shipping containers were something the son rented to store the collection more centrally. The safe looks brand new too. I don't think either the containers or the safe are at the family home. I agree with the earlier boardies who said all the graded ones were done after his death and after appraisal of keys.

Just my 2 cents.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

try to imagine what it would be like if my wife collected shoes.  If she continued to spend the majority of household income on them and owned thousands and they were stacked in boxes in every room in the house and more arrived every day.  

Are you imagining that you are married to Imelda Marcos?

On 3/31/2023 at 11:43 AM, thehumantorch said:
On 3/30/2023 at 10:40 PM, kaculler said:

Are you imagining that you are married to Imelda Marcos?

lol my wife has more shoes than I can understand but not nearly as many as I have comics

Do her shoes have any resale value? There's a price guide for comics, and actual secondary market sales results happening all the time... what about women's shoes? hm

On 3/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, valiantman said:

Do her shoes have any resale value? There's a price guide for comics, and actual secondary market sales results happening all the time... what about women's shoes? hm

Big bang theory TV show kind of covered it, where I thought the same. They had the idea to develop an app, where you see shoes you like and take a pic, then it searches to show where you "could buy them!" However a ranking for shoes is bound to be out there given the collectors call TV show and the fans of sports (basketball especially) shoes or sneakers!  :banana:

On 3/31/2023 at 10:58 AM, valiantman said:

Value is important but I think it's important to remember that money isn't everything.  And come to think of it I believe there's quite a market for classic running shoes, wouldn't be surprised if there's one for other shoes also.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:43 AM, thehumantorch said:

lol my wife has more shoes than I can understand but not nearly as many as I have comics

:ohnoez:

I think *I* have more comics in your basement than your wife has shoes...

Edited by Artboy99

On 3/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

However a ranking for shoes is bound to be out there given the collectors call TV show and the fans of sports (basketball especially) shoes or sneakers!  :banana:

Now, now....................let's not give the boys at CGC any more bright ideas or their turnaround times will start to climb back up again. lol

I watched this interview with the guy selling the book that Regie from the Regie Collects Comics YouTube channel did the other day.  For those that haven't watched it yet, just hit play - the video should start playing from when the interview starts, but if not, it starts at the 14:05 mark :