• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Selling at Local Con - Advice/Tips?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hi all - the subheader for this forum included selling, so I hope this is okay to ask here... I'll be selling at a local comic con next month for the first time, and I'm a bit nervous.  I've been selling successfully on eBay and other online sites for a little over a year, but it's rather easy to do there - take good pictures, provide a good description, toss it up for the going price and hope it sells (and I've had good success with sales).  In-person sales feel like (and I could be completely wrong) an entirely different ball game.  I guess I'm mostly curious about a few things:

1. 50-cent bins vs. $1 bins - have them both?  Or just price everything that I would include in those brackets as one or the other?  Is it common courtesy to bag and/or board these, too?  I feel at the very least they should be bagged, especially if they are $1, but boarding them can run into both a space issue and a cost-effective issue.
  2. Full runs/mini-series - best to sell those complete?  I've seen others have them for sale, but never really tell if they do well or not.  I'm mostly referring to mini-series (which are popular these days for eventual TPB format), but I know there are some like me who prefer floppies.
  3. Key issues - I read a comment elsewhere about keeping these displayed, both to draw people in and also to always have an eye on them, as if they are in boxes with other books people can easily slip them in bags, etc.  I won't be dealing with any insanely expensive books this first go around (I mostly deal with modern stuff), but I certainly don't want anyone running off with some of my more valuable ones.
  4. Pricing in general...  I'm a newfangled Millenial/GenZ'er, and firmly believe Overstreet is outdated the minute it's printed in paper (you wouldn't trade stocks based on an infrequently printed book, would you?), so my go-to is eBay sold prices, and not necessarily the highest - more of an average, and usually a little discounted at that.  Or do you let them haggle the discount if they want, and just keep your mouth shut and price accordingly otherwise?

These are probably dumb questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have been through the process.

Keep all your dollar books bagged only is a good idea.  People do like them in order also. 

Yes keep mini series together as a series.  When it comes to long full runs, no separate those into specific issues. 

Keep your key issues in specific boxes, since they will be your most valuable.  You want to know for sure where that box is at and who is looking through them, if they are not on your display wall. 

Price books fairly by the going Ebay rate, and be prepared to give 10-30% discounts depending on how many books people are buying. 

50 cent books unbagged ok I think.  ANd then make them 5 for $1 the last afternoon.  Not worth hauling back.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:53 PM, pemart1966 said:

Watch out of thieves.

tape bottoms of boxes so that thieves cannot slide comics between the cardboard and drop them down where you cannot see easily.

have fun

if at all possible have a wall

On 4/1/2023 at 11:51 PM, jjaneaux said:

Hi all - the subheader for this forum included selling, so I hope this is okay to ask here... I'll be selling at a local comic con next month for the first time, and I'm a bit nervous.  I've been selling successfully on eBay and other online sites for a little over a year, but it's rather easy to do there - take good pictures, provide a good description, toss it up for the going price and hope it sells (and I've had good success with sales).  In-person sales feel like (and I could be completely wrong) an entirely different ball game.  I guess I'm mostly curious about a few things:

1. 50-cent bins vs. $1 bins - have them both?  Or just price everything that I would include in those brackets as one or the other?  Is it common courtesy to bag and/or board these, too?  I feel at the very least they should be bagged, especially if they are $1, but boarding them can run into both a space issue and a cost-effective issue.
  2. Full runs/mini-series - best to sell those complete?  I've seen others have them for sale, but never really tell if they do well or not.  I'm mostly referring to mini-series (which are popular these days for eventual TPB format), but I know there are some like me who prefer floppies.
  3. Key issues - I read a comment elsewhere about keeping these displayed, both to draw people in and also to always have an eye on them, as if they are in boxes with other books people can easily slip them in bags, etc.  I won't be dealing with any insanely expensive books this first go around (I mostly deal with modern stuff), but I certainly don't want anyone running off with some of my more valuable ones.
  4. Pricing in general...  I'm a newfangled Millenial/GenZ'er, and firmly believe Overstreet is outdated the minute it's printed in paper (you wouldn't trade stocks based on an infrequently printed book, would you?), so my go-to is eBay sold prices, and not necessarily the highest - more of an average, and usually a little discounted at that.  Or do you let them haggle the discount if they want, and just keep your mouth shut and price accordingly otherwise?

These are probably dumb questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have been through the process.

There's no best way to sell.  Do whatever works for you.

For your bulk/cheaper books I've seen 50 cents, $1, $2, or $3 sections depending on the dealer.  Probably a hassle to build and keep track of a 50 cent section and a $1 section but it could work.  It's nice to bag and board them so they won't take damage at shows but the math gets ugly.  If you buy bulk books at $30 a long or 10 cents a book, spend 20 cents per book to bag and board them you'll have invested $90 per long before you get to the show.  If you sell 1/3 of them you'll be breaking even, if you ignore the cost to display them in your booth and you ignore the time you spent getting them ready.  Probably 1/2 of them will never sell.  I now stick to $2 books and after taking them to a few shows I drop them off at a local auction house to get rid of them.  Alphabetical sorting will help you sell these.

Don't  build sets of books nobody is looking for.  If you check the price of a set on ebay and only one set has sold recently for $2 a book there aren't many buyers out there and the odds of you selling it are low.  If there are dozens of sales that set has demand and you have a reasonable chance of selling it at a show.  You're better off breaking up hard to move sets and selling them in your $1 or $2 section.  When I'm looking at low demand sets I always check Key Comics for minor keys.  I find lots of $3 or $4 minor keys that aren't worth much but they have potential and I hang onto them.

Overstreet is outdated although I still like it's data for odd ball GA and some SA and BA.  For dynamic books and high demand books ebay or GPA or Key Comics should be your guide.  For better books I tend to add 10% because people like to haggle.  I've tried pricing keys at fair market and some buyers seem to be offended if I won't budge on price.  For minor keys I tend to price at the going rate knowing the buyer will beat me up a bit and I don't care.

Theft is growing.  We had theft for the first time at a small local show.  Never happened there before.  It's very easy to steal from boxes.  Pull a book out and place it on top of the box, wait for the dealer to be distracted and put your bag or something else on top of the book and lift both and walk away.  Keep you better stuff on a wall and if you let anyone look at it watch them closely.  I always fill every spot on my wall so as soon as I see a gap I know a book has been removed.  As soon as something sells I fill that hole.

Lots of pricing, display, and security advice.  (thumbsu  Hopefully, you'll have many buyers.  Be prepared for a variety of checkout/payment options (including having plenty of small bills for making change on those old school cash-and-carry sales).  :foryou:

On 4/2/2023 at 12:51 AM, jjaneaux said:

Always bring $1 books and $.50 if you have the space. If you dont then dont do it. Think of it as square footage. If you have the space great if not then don't. You can always put them under your table as well.   It allows you to hook buyers to buy more expensive books and you get to talk to them while they are looking. Get a square reader if you are serious about doing shows. Make sure to bring around $300 to $400 in 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s. 

Dont let anyone behind your tables at all. Never put out high dollar books where buyer can reach them. They will walk
away. Offer to hold books for a buyer if they look there hands are full. They will remember it. 

Maybe a box of TPBs and sets I have never have much luck with them. Try to bring something original or area. 

A rack is a must have to display your books. On the cheap go to Home Depot buy 6 or 7 Closet racks you will thank me later.

Here is my local show you can find some info here if you read back and it tells a pretty good story from start to finish. And BE 
PERSONABLE I can stress that enough. Introduce yourself to everyone that comes to your booth.

Southern Indiana Comic Book Show | Facebook

Edited by fastballspecial

On 4/2/2023 at 9:34 AM, Topnotchman said:

Keep all your dollar books bagged only is a good idea.  People do like them in order also. 

Yes keep mini series together as a series.  When it comes to long full runs, no separate those into specific issues. 

Keep your key issues in specific boxes, since they will be your most valuable.  You want to know for sure where that box is at and who is looking through them, if they are not on your display wall. 

Price books fairly by the going Ebay rate, and be prepared to give 10-30% discounts depending on how many books people are buying. 

Yes buyers are OCD many times. They like order. I am not perfect, but I try to keep them alphabetical. 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes buyers are OCD many times. They like order. I am not perfect, but I try to keep them alphabetical. 

Buyers also often use lists and the lists are often alpha.  If you have Amazing Spider-man books, for example, scattered throughout your boxes a buyer with a list will constantly have to flip back and forth through his list and he'll often move on.  And often a buyer wants a certain character, say Daredevil, and if he can quickly find them he's more likely to buy.  Like all of us if it's easier to do we're more likely to do it and that applies to searching $1 boxes

Kind of an echo/emphasis on the security piece.  If you have a sharp friend you can recruit to attend and do nothing but watch for stuff sneaking away, it's a good idea.  I'd think it would be really hard to be one person and keep an eye on everything.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Kind of an echo/emphasis on the security piece.  If you have a sharp friend you can recruit to attend and do nothing but watch for stuff sneaking away, it's a good idea.  I'd think it would be really hard to be one person and keep an eye on everything.

I would think you also need a buddy in case you need to step away for a moment, restroom break etc.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:51 AM, jjaneaux said:

I find booths that have mostly modern stuff have a really hard time at most Cons so I'd love to hear how you do.  E-Bay has a ton of buyers where most in person Cons attract the hard core collectors, flippers or old timers with hand written binders.  I tend to skip over the modern booths myself so I could be completely wrong so I'd love to hear how it goes.