• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Wow Harley stuff is on fire… I think people figured it out early Harley is fantastic I would be interested to see what a first continuity page would go for in todays market very strong results there

Yeah, I'm actually not surprised at all by the $900 sale of that printed blue lines page with Harley, the Joker and the origin/movie tie-in - I would have taken the over on a $1K over/under bet even with the blue lines (and lost, but not by much!)

And $25.2K for the Mad Love #1 page with the stat Harley & Joker images (and non-costume Harley in the bottom panel)...I'm not surprised, there's way more demand for early Harley than available supply; I know it's a total food-fight out there for this material and I'm sure there are some people who are willing to pay up and take whatever they can get at this point. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 6/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I'm actually not surprised at all by the $900 sale of that printed blue lines page with Harley, the Joker and the origin/movie tie-in - I would have taken the over on a $1K over/under bet even with the blue lines (and lost, but not by much!)

And $25.2K for the Mad Love #1 page with the stat Harley & Joker images (and non-costume Harley in the bottom panel)...I'm not surprised, there's way more demand for early Harley than available supply; I know it's a total food-fight out there for this material and I'm sure there are some people who are willing to pay up and take whatever they can get at this point. 

I agree… I just pointed the blue lines out for all the bad feelings people have towards them , they seem to be garnering more love at auction than we have seen in the past. 

On 6/26/2023 at 2:13 AM, comix4fun said:
On 6/25/2023 at 11:37 PM, tth2 said:

The voice always cracks me up when bids come in really fast.

Five Hun....Six Hun....Seven Hun....CAN I FINISH WHAT I AM FRICKEN SAYING BEFORE YOU BID AGA....Eight Hundred...

I fully expect that to be said someday, and that's when I'll know that AI has become sentient and it's time to load up the guns and dog in the jeep and head to Mexico.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:48 AM, Fischb1 said:

I think Friday's Byrne sold well too. 45k for a panel page with Kitty running away from an alien/brood? That's not squishy, add Wolverine with claws or Phoenix and you're back up to 70k. This all seems like peak pricing to me.

People seem more comfortable bidding aggressively with the robot auctioneer.

A strong price ($7,800) for a mediocre BWS Conan interior page:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/barry-smith-and-sal-buscema-conan-the-barbarian-10-story-page-13-original-art-marvel-1971-/a/7340-95490.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

A very strong price ($10,200) for a Cockrum Legion page where nothing is going on and the characters are all sitting in the main shot.  Yeah, it's the first time we see the Legion after they've dumped their 1950s era age appropriate costumes, but still.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/dave-cockrum-superboy-193-story-page-2-karate-kid-original-art-dc-1975-/a/7340-95125.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

On 6/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

900 blue lines???? Squishy?????

IMG_7659.png

That one is a bit misleading.  It's from the arc featuring Harley's origin.  Pages from the issue right before also tend to do well.  

I won the two pieces I was after.  I paid slightly more than what I mentally committed on the first and spent slightly less than what I was afraid of on the second.  I do feel like prices were stronger today, but it also felt like a marathon.  I almost thing if an auction house capped their total offering to fit in a 2-3 hour event, they may grab more eyeballs.  I happened to be waiting in lines at Disneyland all day and had time to watch, but I would likely have skipped on a normal weekend. Did anyone stay for the full auction?

Any thoughts on the Faust page in the cemetery? I was hoping to snag it for under $3.5k but went for $5.5k w the juice. Great images and a 1/3 splash but I always liked art from the first 4-5 issues, but they don’t turn up that often.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, g-man said:

Any thoughts on the Faust page in the cemetery? I was hoping to snag it for under $3.5k but went for $5.5k w the juice. Great images and a 1/3 splash but I always liked art from the first 4-5 issues, but they don’t turn up that often.

That did go higher than I expected. Don't understand why they list Jeff Austin ink assists but not on the other Faust #5 page. Thought Tim Tyler was the one who assisted on Faust

On 6/23/2023 at 3:45 AM, batman_fan said:

I am officially old what is “eightball” and was $33,600 a good deal?

$34k....about $20k below what other Clowes covers have sold for many years ago....just check the heritage archives......

Is the cover actually inked? Looks more like pencils only? May have had something to do with the lower than average  Clowes cover prices previously realised

On 6/26/2023 at 6:52 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The Kirby eternals cover at $144k seemed very high??

A great cover, classic kirby

Was the entire issue, not just the cover https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/jack-kirby-frank-giacoia-and-mike-royer-the-eternals-19-cover-and-complete-story-original-art-group-of-18-marv/a/7340-91015.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

There was some discussion yes.   Consensus seemed to be strength was expected given first app (?) of legion (?) and  given artist and title, but still exceeded expectations.   I’m not sure to what degree.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/26/2023 at 8:40 AM, Bronty said:

There was some discussion yes.   Consensus seemed to be strength was expected given first app (?) of legion (?) and  given artist and title, but still exceeded expectations a bit.

Also a remarkable price considering it is affixed to a backing board via a process which may or may not be archival... and considering Bill's work process, may be difficult to remove without damaging the art

On 6/26/2023 at 8:33 AM, g-man said:

has anyone mentioned the Sienkiewicz NM #25 page for $93k (including the vig)....wow, seems high to me? 

Bill Sienkiewicz The New Mutants #25 Legion Character Profile First | Lot #93104 | Heritage Auctions

On 6/26/2023 at 8:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Also a remarkable price considering it is affixed to a backing board via a process which may or may not be archival... and considering Bill's work process, may be difficult to remove without damaging the art

1st appearance collectors be like

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i4pbj9v6wsyssmmmef