• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is out of his mind
4 4

155 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2023 at 10:20 PM, Iceman399 said:

I'm glad his wallet convinced him to change his tune from a few years ago lol

5a9da24dce67b_ScreenShot2018-03-05at1_46_09PM.png.d3f73de7685856fcd95fd205fee1bcd9.png

This is the last I had heard of liefeld, which was back in 2019? Is that correct @Iceman399 your post says March 2nd but I don't believe that was this year.  ???

On 4/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, ak47po said:

Enjoy! :baiting:

Rob Liefeld Sketch is $1,085 per item = SOLD OUT.

OK 🆗 benefit of the doubt given, I hope he knocks it out of the park and people send him blanks to do! He seems genuine.

Even back in 2019 whatever the issue was, I'm glad it rectified 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/9/2023 at 6:52 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

To me anyone paying for an autograph is out of his mind. Not only would I not pay $1 for an autograph, I wouldn't want one for free, and I wouldn't want a comic that had been defaced with an autograph unless there were a way to clean it and get the autograph off without getting a purple label.

You know which forum you’re in, right?

On 4/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, docgo said:

You know which forum you’re in, right?

Yes. I don't venture over here to often, but Rob Liefeld is such a polarizing figure that I couldn't resist. (I can't say I like his artwork, but it does stand out—I have to give him that.)

On 4/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, newshane said:

Easy solution. Spend your money on something else. (shrug)

He can charge what he wants. You can pay or refuse to pay. If people refuse to pay, he will adjust his price, but most people will pay what he's asking. Simple economics. 

Yeah, thanks for explaining that, you are obviously very intelligent. The entire point of my message was simply to  lament that simple economics would dictate that if he is able to sell out at these prices, that various artists would likely increase their fees as well. Thank you for setting me straight 

On 4/10/2023 at 3:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Prices were manipulated once a secondary market sprang up—and they continue to be manipulated—but the collecting of comic books began when some collectors started buying them off of the stands in the late 1930s, before a secondary market even existed, when most people were just throwing their comic books away. That's the difference.

I still don't see the difference. Before there was a market, some people WANTED Jack Kirby or whoever to sign their comic book. Those books are out there. I got comics signed in some of the earliest shows I went to in the early 90's by people like Bernie Wrightson, Jim Steranko and Steve Rude... I never once thought "It's ruining the comic" or 'THIS will be valuable someday!"

It wasn't a market, until someone decided to make it a market. But the desire to do it was in the hobby before the market came to be. 

In the case of Signature Series books, CGC basically invented that hobby by creating registry sets, giving more points to Signature Series books than to Universal books, and declaring that books with autographs on the cover were not to be penalized grade-wise whereas no one 30 years ago would have considered a comic book high grade if it had an autograph on the cover; it would have been considered defaced.

You mean adapted it from Sports Cards?

I don't see it as CGC 'invented' the market as much as they put together a system to protect the integrity of signature collecting that had been abused so badly in the card market and third party grading card market. 

I clearly see what you mean in terms of it creating a completely different setting for it - a whole new... view of how it's done. Same thing happened with pressing. Heck, you could say the same thing happened when people started creating bags and boards for comics. 

If you had told me back in 1993 that you had gotten the cover of a comic book autographed, my first thought would have been that you had some actor or actress autograph a dollar-bin comic with a photo cover. No one would have sought an autograph on the cover of a valuable book. (I'm sure someone here could post an example to prove me wrong, so let's just say that it would have been very uncommon, shall we?)

Well that's an individual experience and not necessary indicative of the entire hobby. I can assure you, there were people out there - I was one of them - I never thought about where the signature went - that got autographs at shows on their comics. I left it up to the creator. It DID happen. People did get comics signed. 

Was it on Amazing Fantasy #15's? Boy, that DOES seem weird, but I know I've seen at least two ASM #1's with signatures inside the book. So people DID get them signed. 

Back then those books were a couple hundred bucks though...

All of this is the nature of business. Michelob creates a new beer... Michelob Light. Was the demand for a Light Beer there or did they create the demand? What about for Michelob Dark? Or Michelob Ultra, the classic light lager; Michelob Ultra Pure Gold, a morally superior light beer made from organic grains (It really does say that); or the gluten-reduced Amber Max (perfect for many comic collectors!), another light beer with a richer taste; and Michelob Ultra Infusions, with added fruit flavors.

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is the last I had heard of liefeld, which was back in 2019? Is that correct @Iceman399 your post says March 2nd but I don't believe that was this year.  ???

OK 🆗 benefit of the doubt given, I hope he knocks it out of the park and people send him blanks to do! He seems genuine.

Even back in 2019 whatever the issue was, I'm glad it rectified 

I have no idea. I just remembered him being a fdq 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, Iceman399 said:

I have no idea. I just remembered him being a fdq 

Ya I remember too. It was right after he had signed and cgc mine, or the next con season after I did one lol

But I don't even remember his beef, but I'm glad he got over it, I guess. :)

I'm really glad you posted, as I had forgot haha, he was ticked and did the same genuine videos as seen here but the other way.  :ohnoez:

I don't know what brought him back, but at least everyone seems content now...

On 4/9/2023 at 8:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't know what brought him back, but at least everyone seems content now...

I know what brought him back...

giphy.gif

Rob's had beef with Marvel, CGC, fans, and the guy always says "I'm done" but he always comes back.  I think sometimes he shoots off his mouth without really understanding what's going on and instead of apologizing, he just doubles down and then quietly changes his position once the commotion has died down.  Truth is, I met Rob at D23 in September and he seems nice enough in a setting where everyone is polite.  But he's not the type to shy away from trolls or people/organizations if he feels slighted.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of his art any longer, but if Humberto Ramos can still find monthly work, then Rob should be able to ask whatever he wants for his sig.  People like what they like and they'll pay whatever the market can bear.

Rob has a dedicated fan base, many of whom got into comics because of his rock star like ascension back in the early 90's. 

He was able to continue to get work in the business, not because of his art, but because of his ideas... he's still a guy who thinks like a fanboy, "Hey, what if GI Joe fought Dr. Doom?"

The Big Two are now pretty much run completely by Editors and restricted committees - on top of him burning enough bridges - that he's pretty much limited to the occasional variant cover - other than his own publishing (if he ever chooses to do again). 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:11 PM, ExNihilo said:

Anyways, I'm not a fan of his art any longer, but if Humberto Ramos can still find monthly work, then Rob should be able to ask whatever he wants for his sig.

Totally out of the loop here -- is Ramos as divisive as Liefeld in these parts? Art-wise, or personality?

On 4/9/2023 at 8:35 PM, Hot Nickels said:

Yeah, thanks for explaining that, you are obviously very intelligent. The entire point of my message was simply to  lament that simple economics would dictate that if he is able to sell out at these prices, that various artists would likely increase their fees as well. Thank you for setting me straight 

Translated - the entire point of my message was to whine. 

On 4/10/2023 at 12:17 AM, smarkjobber said:

Totally out of the loop here -- is Ramos as divisive as Liefeld in these parts? Art-wise, or personality?

No, not divisive at all.  I just don't like the proportions and distorted figures, nor do I understand how he's been able to carve a career for himself.  Plenty of people find his art passable.  It's just hard for me when I grew up in the era of McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley.  But I digress.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:34 PM, thehumantorch said:

Don't pay ridiculous prices for a signature.  If enough people refuse to pay prices will come down.  The problem isn't the artist, it's us.

Exactly

I wanted a Skottie Young sketch at NYCC.  His price $500 if it was to be witnessed by CGC.  His non witnessed price was not too much lower.   I shrugged and moved along because to my astonishment no one had a gun to my head forcing me to pay the man for a sketch of baby spider-man. 

On 4/11/2023 at 3:51 AM, ExNihilo said:

No, not divisive at all.  I just don't like the proportions and distorted figures, nor do I understand how he's been able to carve a career for himself.  Plenty of people find his art passable.  It's just hard for me when I grew up in the era of McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley.  But I digress.

Not THAT's funny. All three of those guys did their share of weird proportions and distorted figures (Bagley probably the least)...

07101ecce3211b9772629418ea7504b9.png

eccd2de1be6123b97c9ea2e51293612d.jpg

baa90afcfdd75b1b5705d0bb3a28aade.jpg

On 4/10/2023 at 2:17 PM, smarkjobber said:

No, but he has his share of detractors.... super nice guy, though. He just did what others did and played up the weird physicality of Spider-man. 

ef07926c1b1c67ab5ea5e732686c23db.jpg

smhumbertoramos1.png

On 4/11/2023 at 11:25 PM, Prince Namor said:

No, but he has his share of detractors.... super nice guy, though. He just did what others did and played up the weird physicality of Spider-man. 

ef07926c1b1c67ab5ea5e732686c23db.jpg

smhumbertoramos1.png

I have heard him in person once describe his style as Mexican Manga.  For Marvel it seems to work for him and it has enough supporters or people that like it, that Marvel keeps handing him work. 

I also have to say though, super nice guy. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:25 PM, Prince Namor said:

Ah, I was on a collecting hiatus when he was on ASM -- I could see how that Spidey design could put some off, but personally think his Strange Academy interiors are more impressive than anything I've seen from Liefeld, ever.

Edited by smarkjobber