• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Awards Announcement!
2 2

49 posts in this topic

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/11457/cgc-registry-awards/

This year, winners will receive a CGC-certified Batman #125 Alex Ross variant signed by Alex Ross!

The Registry Freeze will begin at 5 p.m. EST on June 23, 2023.

Winners will be announced on July 21, 2023.

May the odds be ever in your favor....

-Brian

Idk why but I tried to make the "main gallery" look the best, and I think maybe that and not having a lot of "complete sets" is why I haven't won.

I have top ranking sets at #1 and #2 but not near enough complete?

Idk

@wytshus lol I don't call it a wasted effort, as I enjoy it, helps me know what I have as a whole rather than individual sets. Plus there is a "slideshow" that will signal through your gallery for you and "turn the page" so to speak, I don't believe that gets talked about near enough :cheers: 

On 4/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

:whee:

I love them and the winners!

lol I never know if I really have a shot, so the odds in your favor line really hits home lol 

Win baby, win! :)

On 5/3/2023 at 8:18 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Win baby, win! :)

Finally someone else posted in this thread. I must have just been excited by the announcement, and as I was working on the registry had loads to comment. :roflmao:

Then silence and a whisper 😂

On 5/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Finally someone else posted in this thread. I must have just been excited by the announcement, and as I was working on the registry had loads to comment. :roflmao:

Then silence and a whisper 😂

I, of course, read the CGC news release on the 2023 awards but did not realize that this thread existed until a few minutes ago.

I'm forever hopeful that I'll win one of the awards as hope is eternal. Hopefully, you will take one home this year. :wishluck:

On 5/3/2023 at 8:24 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I, of course, read the CGC news release on the 2023 awards but did not realize that this thread existed until a few minutes ago.

I'm forever hopeful that I'll win one of the awards as hope is eternal. Hopefully, you will take one home this year. :wishluck:

Bless you and same with you! :headbang: it IS at least fun to think about :) 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

helps me know what I have as a whole

+1

I often need to go look at my sets to see what I still need when surfing the 'Bay.

One thing I don't care for too much is when someone goes and writes a massive essay for the description.  You have to scroll past all that every time you want to see another page of that collector's gallery.  I love when there are some "easter egg" images swapped in for back cover images when the back covers of the actual books are stupid advertisements.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Yorick said:

+1

I often need to go look at my sets to see what I still need when surfing the 'Bay.

One thing I don't care for too much is when someone goes and writes a massive essay for the description.  You have to scroll past all that every time you want to see another page of that collector's gallery.  I love when there are some "easter egg" images swapped in for back cover images when the back covers of the actual books are stupid advertisements.

I tried to limit my set description for the that reason, and make the individual books longer. (thumbsu

That way if they want to see one book then have at it, or at least pick and choose! I tried to leave the book description simple and uniform: why it's in the collection, why or how I obtained, why there is alternative pics of back cover, and graders Notes! ^^

On 5/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Yorick said:

+1

I meant to say @Yorick

That if a persons "sets" are "too descriptive" or it at least takes a lot of scrolling to see the gallery in sets?

Then try that persons "main page" and try the gallery from there, you'll see more books anyway :) you can get there by searching a boardies name in the search bar, and when it takes you to their profile, it is then the main page :) 

image.thumb.png.f75bc4f34b47ad8c99e09506ac326a57.png

On 5/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I meant to say @Yorick

That if a persons "sets" are "too descriptive" or it at least takes a lot of scrolling to see the gallery in sets?

Then try that persons "main page" and try the gallery from there, you'll see more books anyway :) you can get there by searching a boardies name in the search bar, and when it takes you to their profile, it is then the main page :) 

image.thumb.png.f75bc4f34b47ad8c99e09506ac326a57.png

Is there such a thing as 'too descriptive?' lol  (asking for a friend...and that friend is me)

On 5/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

Is there such a thing as 'too descriptive?' lol  (asking for a friend...and that friend is me)

Nope, as long as it's not cut and pasted.  We do check.  Personally, I look for great stories behind the acquisition of particular books.  It usually makes the difference when choosing winners.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:17 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

try that persons "main page" and try the gallery from there

Oh wow.  That's neat!!  I hadn't done that before.

ADAGallery.thumb.jpg.b71bcf19599bd519694a4f35c1619ab9.jpg

I meant the Set Descriptions sort of bother me when they're really lengthy and I want to look at the gallery of THOSE books.

ADAGallery2.jpg.e9dc9b273fcc673749e7fbc9c595524c.jpg

In this above referenced case, there is only the one page of Gallery images, but if I'm looking at multiple pages of "gallery"... I have to scroll past the Set Description each time.  I'm looking for that "Stiltman" Set as an example of how much scrolling I have to do in order to see the books for each page, but I don't know how to find that set again.  Maybe it was a Spiderman set?

Anyway, I think you get what I'm trying to express here.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, Yorick said:

I meant the Set Descriptions sort of bother me when they're really lengthy and I want to look at the gallery of THOSE books.

In this above referenced case, there is only the one page of Gallery images, but if I'm looking at multiple pages of "gallery"... I have to scroll past the Set Description each time.  I'm looking for that "Stiltman" Set as an example of how much scrolling I have to do in order to see the books for each page, but I don't know how to find that set again.  Maybe it was a Spiderman set?

Alas, poor @Yorick...I know your pain all too well (I'm probably very guilty of what you're talking about with my Walking Dead Complete with Variants Registry Set lol  

And not to take the opposing side of this complaint, but it's the dressing up of our sets that make them interesting and competitive I like to think. While it may be tedious to scroll down each time per page maybe one day the page #'s can be added to the top AND bottom so you could more quickly go to the next gallery page.  If so that would speed up getting to the next page (or if we had an option to expand the gallery to more books per page, like 500 for example, instead of whatever # it's currently set at).  Either way, I kind of like the gallery images and set descriptions because the majority of sets have nothing posted whatsoever other than the cert #'s of the books.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Alas, poor @Yorick...

lol

Yep. You ARE guilty of the "wall of text" Set Description!  Your set is amazing, but if I'm clicking the "gallery" function there, you have 45 [FORTY FIVE!] pages of Gallery to view!  I've gotta scroll past the Grade Breakdowns, all those Gem Mints, the Signature section, etc. to view each page.

I try to put the description stuff into the specific book "Owner Comments" (which you also do - VERY nice), and leave the "Set Description" with something more refined and simple.

walkingdead.jpg.157d325c673904635fb2253a9f5493fe.jpg

Looks like you're missing a book. :baiting:

:devil:

On 5/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

On 5/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, Yorick said:

I only meant if need be, I have multiple page pic sets with books, but I try to keep it short and sweet lol

It's a personal choice, there are no wrong ways to do full story descriptions. But to the point that is the 2nd person I've mentioned the main page gallery that wasn't aware ....

I get that registry sets are the main attraction, but I have so many with only one or two books, which may hack off management lol

But seriously, I do enjoy the main gallery, because there are onky a few sets with many pages. Idk if that is good or bad? Thoughts to help a fellow out?

I try to be uniform and secure in personality or at least my point of view. I want to stay organized, because when adding a new book, not a formula per se, but I can add it with a personal touch, with pertinent information, that isn't copy and paste, but still reads well enough with flair.

Or that's the hope, and management can't be too precise in what we do, if ours is to have a personal touch imo. I make it my own, and if a long text gets it all out on paper, it at least can be very therapeutic! ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, Yorick said:

One last thing @Yorick

If you look at your screenshot of my set? Do you see the slideshow tab?

for long sets click that at the cert number page of the set, example here, and it will thumb through tye books and pics, "at a steady pace!" Sublime. The only problem is you won't be able to read each individual book description. :(

as it will just thumb through the pics automatically.

Screenshot_20230506-080501.png

On 5/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, Yorick said:

walkingdead.jpg.157d325c673904635fb2253a9f5493fe.jpg

Looks like you're missing a book. :baiting:

:devil:

Looks can be deceiving lol  I have all the books I just haven't added my missing one in yet (been a while since I've been able to take pictures/update the inventory) - I plan to do so sometime this month, though!  :)  Thank you for the kind words on the set...it's been a labor of love over the years!