• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Awards Announcement!
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 8:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I only meant if need be, I have multiple page pic sets with books, but I try to keep it short and sweet lol

It's a personal choice, there are no wrong ways to do full story descriptions. But to the point that is the 2nd person I've mentioned the main page gallery that wasn't aware ....

I get that registry sets are the main attraction, but I have so many with only one or two books, which may hack off management lol

But seriously, I do enjoy the main gallery, because there are onky a few sets with many pages. Idk if that is good or bad? Thoughts to help a fellow out?

I try to be uniform and secure in personality or at least my point of view. I want to stay organized, because when adding a new book, not a formula per se, but I can add it with a personal touch, with pertinent information, that isn't copy and paste, but still reads well enough with flair.

Or that's the hope, and management can't be too precise in what we do, if ours is to have a personal touch imo. I make it my own, and if a long text gets it all out on paper, it at least can be very therapeutic! ^^

Beautiful set:Amazing Spider-man (cont.)!

On 5/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Beautiful set:Amazing Spider-man (cont.)!

Thanks! It and X-Men are probably my most collected titles. :)

On 5/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Very nice: X-men ----- Continues to be Uncanny!.

Nice tec doubles on your end! I had the same ideas with upgrades as back cover pics too, 😜 nice touch. (thumbsu

And those tec are high grade! :x

On 5/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, DougC said:

Finally got all the pictures and descriptions loaded for my X-Men (1991) Jim Lee set still trying to figure out the myspace era html for a cool set intro/description.

It's a nice signature set too, the back cover pics are really nice :) 

On 5/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@DougC try this thread for the html 

Thanks, I've been looking at that one and another one in the archives trying to get spacing and templates correct (generally just cutting a pasting to mash things together).

On 5/4/2023 at 3:04 AM, Yorick said:

One thing I don't care for too much is when someone goes and writes a massive essay for the description.  

Yep, guilty of that, 🤣.  But most of my set descriptions are fairly short with the exception of Punisher Limited Series and The ‘Nam.  

On 5/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, Yorick said:

Oh wow.  That's neat!!  I hadn't done that before.

ADAGallery.thumb.jpg.b71bcf19599bd519694a4f35c1619ab9.jpg

I meant the Set Descriptions sort of bother me when they're really lengthy and I want to look at the gallery of THOSE books.

ADAGallery2.jpg.e9dc9b273fcc673749e7fbc9c595524c.jpg

In this above referenced case, there is only the one page of Gallery images, but if I'm looking at multiple pages of "gallery"... I have to scroll past the Set Description each time.  I'm looking for that "Stiltman" Set as an example of how much scrolling I have to do in order to see the books for each page, but I don't know how to find that set again.  Maybe it was a Spiderman set?

Anyway, I think you get what I'm trying to express here.

Custom Sets don’t make you scroll the entire set description in the gallery… I do wish that competitive sets were the same…

Check this bad boy out for an example:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=32372

P.S. I actually thought that Stiltman set was genius!! 😁

Edited by Iconic1s

On 5/26/2023 at 8:59 PM, Iconic1s said:

Custom Sets don’t make you scroll the entire set description in the gallery… I do wish that competitive sets were the same…

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=32372

P.S. I actually thought that Stiltman set was genius!! 😁

Very good idea for a custom set! ^^

I am pretty much finished with my setup and would like to thank everyone before me who did the html that I stole :x and those still in this thread ( @ADAMANTIUM ) that point people like me in the right direction on how to do things!

Still need some minor grammar edits and dig out a couple books for pictures.

Shooting to be included in modern or signature set award consideration :wishluck:

X-Men V2 Signature Set

Edited by DougC

On 5/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, Iconic1s said:

Oh! That's nice. I wish I didn't have to click the "more" buttons to see your full issue descriptions.  I hope I'll find some time to work on one of my sets in an attempt to show a streamlined "display".

Your Superman comic rack looks awesome and I LOVE all those "back cover" pics!!  It seems you're missing an "easter egg" book second print...  maybe add it to the rack and take a new picture.  :baiting:

On 5/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, Iconic1s said:

I actually thought that Stiltman set was genius!

I thought it was great the first time, but then you have to scroll past that each time you want to get to the next page.  (shrug)

On 5/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, Yorick said:

Your Superman comic rack looks awesome and I LOVE all those "back cover" pics!!  It seems you're missing an "easter egg" book second print...  maybe add it to the rack and take a new picture.  :baiting:

Ooh!!!  You are correct!  I will be taking care of that later today!!

I thought it was great the first time, but then you have to scroll past that each time you want to get to the next page.  (shrug)

🤣🤣

It seems you're missing an "easter egg" book second print...  maybe add it to the rack and take a new picture.

Done my friend!!  Thanks again for the idea and for the Easter Egg!!  Fans of this set of books might appreciate that hidden little Gem when they see it :cool:

On 5/27/2023 at 5:56 PM, Iconic1s said:

Done my friend!!  Thanks again for the idea and for the Easter Egg!!  Fans of this set of books might appreciate that hidden little Gem when they see it :cool:

38 views and counting...  you'll have to let me know if anyone asks you about it!  (thumbsu

It would be great if they put the view count at the top of the set description somewhere rather than having to go back to the main "custom character set" page.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:13 PM, Yorick said:

38 views and counting...  you'll have to let me know if anyone asks you about it!  (thumbsu

It would be great if they put the view count at the top of the set description somewhere rather than having to go back to the main "custom character set" page.

Will let you know!  It’s in my competitive set too (over 3600 views 😁). I have a link to it on my IG.  It’s a smaller set with just the best (highest scored) copies, the Custom has my SS and Universal copies and some others at the end (I made it when considering deleting the comp set).  Here’s the competitive:  

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=119612

P.S. I actually think the view counter on the Custom Sets is broken.  Reported it awhile ago…

On 5/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, Iconic1s said:

It’s in my competitive set too (over 3600 views 😁).

One more viewing just now!  B|

I love your wooden Superman figure, and the 1961 Superman "Death" issue.  I think you need a Super Powers Superman figure MOC with the glorious Garcia Lopez Superman artwork.

Super Powers Superman.jpg

So, my question last year is my question this year... how?  How do you get your sets noticed?  The Moon Knight collection that won last year was not that impressive... however, his presentation was.  It's phenomenal!

How do you do what he did, as I didn't know that we could do images and code the way he seemed to in his description.

As an almost strictly Signature Series collector for a long time now, I have two custom sets that I just haven't seen others with, that I would put up against any other modern.  However, it doesn't matter if no one sees it or knows about.  "Tree falls in the woods" sort of thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Daffaholic said:

So, my question last year is my question this year... how?  How do you get your sets noticed?  The Moon Knight collection that won last year was not that impressive... however, his presentation was.  It's phenomenal!

How do you do what he did, as I didn't know that we could do images and code the way he seemed to in his description.

As an almost strictly Signature Series collector for a long time now, I have two custom sets that I just haven't seen others with, that I would put up against any other modern.  However, it doesn't matter if no one sees it or knows about.  "Tree falls in the woods" sort of thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you scroll up a couple posts there are some links to thread about posting pictures and formatting. It is a pretty terrible system that is on par with 2005 MySpace html editing, overall the entire registry could use a massive upgrade and rebuild but this is what we are stuck with. Once you read the linked threads you can use an online html code editor to preview and adjust as needed (or just do it in notepad and hope for the best).

As for getting noticed, no one has that answer and CGC peeps do not seem keen on providing any way to call attention to yourself or to at least just say "hey I would like to be considered if you haven't noticed me", "here is a link to my registry". This is one of my biggest complaints with the registry, I get the feeling that CGC only begrudging tolerates it and would prefer if it just went away (as it is treated poorly). The registry should be celebrated, shown off, and pushed as a visual way for members to showcase collections (show off). They could do so much passive marketing though the registry but it just sits dead with most sets having not been updated in years.

Even with all the above I do want see improvements and think it would be a good idea to at least have an official thread every July solely for a "hey look at my luscious set of books" or even a board member nomination thread of some type (started by a mod so that at least it looks like it is supported).