• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Awards Announcement!
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2023 at 9:59 PM, Iconic1s said:

Custom Sets don’t make you scroll the entire set description in the gallery… I do wish that competitive sets were the same…

Check this bad boy out for an example:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=32372

P.S. I actually thought that Stiltman set was genius!! 😁

My ears stilts are burning! I think you @Yorick might all be referring to my custom Stiltman set :D 

One day I shall push it for nomination, but only when I have filled up the slots (as I have much more buying to do and am picky about the grades for this slot...though that has softened recently since my financial situation isn't what it used to be - now I'll accept 9.6 books instead of just 9.8s)

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=28969

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 6/14/2023 at 5:37 PM, Sauce Dog said:

My ears stilts are burning! I think you @Yorick might all be referring to my custom Stiltman set :D 

AHHA!  Yes!  It's yours.  But I mis-remembered it.  It's only the one page, and a custom set too?  It works great as a single page.

Can you imagine having to scroll past Stiltman every time you wanted to see the books on the next page?!!

On 6/14/2023 at 5:37 PM, Sauce Dog said:

now I'll accept 9.6 books instead of just 9.8s

I have some 9.8's and 9.6's of the same issue (especially with my Flash Gordon and Xenozoic comics), and I find that I sometimes prefer the 9.6 copies.  (shrug)

On 6/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, Yorick said:

Can you imagine having to scroll past Stiltman every time you wanted to see the books on the next page?!!

Don't threaten me with a good time! :D  Not a day goes by that I don't consider extending his legs more or doing something even more insane with the layout (but honestly until the registry updates the website to be actually mobile responsive and load its assets quicker anything more I do would just be cruel to visitors of the site)

Edited by Sauce Dog

Thanks!  With the help of replies like yours an some others, I jumped on working to edit one of my custom sets that I'd love to have them recognize.  Working on editing only this one set, so very late in the game, is the only time that i am going to have for this year's awards, unfortunately... but now I have a MUCH better idea of what to do for next year. 

Take a look, and thanks again!

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=32040

I'm still cleaning up stuff I've written a long time ago, I got the centering to work, so it helped me see the sentences a bit better lol 

I'm horrible at trying to do it on the cuff, and have it come out coherent even CLOSE to the 1st time haha

I had so much to catch up and do, doing it all at once caused some errors that I think are somewhat straightened out.

I didn't get the boldness of the letter in the code to work yet? :shy: 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Don't threaten me with a good time! :D  Not a day goes by that I don't consider extending his legs more or doing something even more insane with the layout (but honestly until the registry updates the website to be actually mobile responsive and load its assets quicker anything more I do would just be cruel to visitors of the site)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/17/2023 at 7:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm still cleaning up stuff I've written a long time ago, I got the centering to work, so it helped me see the sentences a bit better lol 

I'm horrible at trying to do it on the cuff, and have it come out coherent even CLOSE to the 1st time haha

I had so much to catch up and do, doing it all at once caused some errors that I think are somewhat straightened out.

I didn't get the boldness of the letter in the code to work yet? :shy: 

ah I got the bold to work, now to redo everything of that part again lol 

On 6/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, DougC said:

It is a pretty terrible system that is on par with 2005 MySpace html editing, overall the entire registry could use a massive upgrade and rebuild but this is what we are stuck with. Once you read the linked threads you can use an online html code editor to preview and adjust as needed (or just do it in notepad and hope for the best).

As for getting noticed, no one has that answer and CGC peeps do not seem keen on providing any way to call attention to yourself or to at least just say "hey I would like to be considered if you haven't noticed me", "here is a link to my registry". This is one of my biggest complaints with the registry, I get the feeling that CGC only begrudging tolerates it and would prefer if it just went away (as it is treated poorly). The registry should be celebrated, shown off, and pushed as a visual way for members to showcase collections (show off). They could do so much passive marketing though the registry but it just sits dead with most sets having not been updated in years.

Yes, the Collector's Society has outlived its usefulness.

As far as I know, it was ported over from Coins, back in the day.....

My vision is to make the Comic Registry look like the Gaming Card Registry:

https://www.cgccards.com/registry/

It's already half completed, I only use CS for add fails and the Awards.  

=========

I have tried to make the Awards more fun for everyone, that is why I created this thread, and the Nomination Thread:

I am really proud of last year's Awards, it was a lot of fun, and it got us noticed by the powers that be.

As a result, The Comic Registry was transferred to the Marketing Team this year. 

I have been swamped with adds due to the rate increase.  We are also migrating to a new ERP system across all companies.  Once we get past that, I have plans to co-market with the Sig Series Team, and maybe have some artists create a set or two....

So stay tuned, changes are coming.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, wytshus said:

Yes, the Collector's Society has outlived its usefulness.

As far as I know, it was ported over from Coins, back in the day.....

My vision is to make the Comic Registry look like the Gaming Card Registry:

https://www.cgccards.com/registry/

It's already half completed, I only use CS for add fails and the Awards.  

=========

I have tried to make the Awards more fun for everyone, that is why I created this thread, and the Nomination Thread:

I am really proud of last year's Awards, it was a lot of fun, and it got us noticed by the powers that be.

As a result, The Comic Registry was transferred to the Marketing Team this year. 

I have been swamped with adds due to the rate increase.  We are also migrating to a new ERP system across all companies.  Once we get past that, I have plans to co-market with the Sig Series Team, and maybe have some artists create a set or two....

So stay tuned, changes are coming.

I haven't looked at the registry in a couple years, I guess I was a bit jaded so my complaints look to be at least on the white board to be addressed.

If you are looking for ideas:

Have the Certification # link back to the look-up/grader notes:

image.png.da2cdb6b30bddc75c2f573998918ad01.png

This would also be counter linked; using the look-up the Cert# would be hyperlinked back to set it is registered in (if available).

I really like the idea of an artist "creating" a set. Ideally this would be in combination with an in house signing: have the artist select 10 of their favorite works with any assistance needed, then use that to create a temporary custom set. CGC can include pictures/books already in the registry as best examples with reference back to where they were pulled from as a member bonus/bragging rights!

• Cert# 00000000; Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1; CGC 9.8 signed by Don Chin
  • From the registry collection of Forum.Name

Synergy between the registry and SS with bonus marketing tie-in and advertisement (don't you want a book like this too... YOU CAN! down here at ye olde CGC).

Also CGC could add some blurbs to there general emails about the registry throughout the year to try and keep it fresh in the mind (not sure if they do this or not, I don't read 99% of CGC emails).