• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerber's Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books Vol. 1,2
3 3

154 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2023 at 11:08 PM, Professor K said:

Hi everyone. I just got the two Photo Journal Guides to Comics and boy am I impressed. I've only read the first few pages so far which Mr. Gerber tells of how much work, money, time went into making them. Also I browsed through the credits, the contributors. Thought I may have have seen some familiar names. I was a mostly Silver Age collector not long back (shrug)doh!:pullhair: but I'll say I wish had these books 10 or 20 years ago. Anybody here have these? Did any of you here on the board contribute to it? Or any neat info about it? What an endeavor that was to find and photograph all those books.

I liked how he ended the preface by saying how enthusiastic, supportive, and downright pleasant those who contributed were. 

Thanks to our friend Tyler here for recommending I get them. I'm sure I'm quite familiar with many of the books in these but I think I'm going to learn a lot more. 

20230413_164431.jpg

Your going to spend more also but they are a treasure full of eye candy 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, comicjack said:

Your going to spend more also but they are a treasure full of eye candy 

I don't think I've seen a higher quality book. The weight, paper quality, the pictures look incredible. I'm only up to Adventure Comics. 

Got my set in the early to mid 90's. Used them so much I bought a backup set in case they ever fell apart on me. That hasn't happened yet. I still use them but not as often as I'm not chasing after Fox GGA comics any longer (completed all of the runs that I wanted)

On 4/14/2023 at 10:37 AM, Robot Man said:

Along with the Overstreet guide, the two most important contributions to the hobby.

Gerber was also responsible for the development of a machine to create the mylar comic bag, another important contribution.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:47 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Did you buy your copies from one of Buddy's comic shops or through the brochures?  hm

:cheers:

The brochure came from the comic store.  The books, iirc, were ordered directly from Gerber.  After getting Vol 1, it was torture waiting for Vol 2.

I've said this before, for decades I was kind of intimidated by GA comics. Apprehensive could be another way to explain it. All I knew was Silver and Bronze. Superhero stuff. I would see GA stuff at shows before CGC was a thing so I knew the DC's pretty well, and Timely a little. The rest of it was just a mystery. All the different titles and I knew of no reference to figure out what was what so I just avoided it. This is now one of my biggest life regrets, honestly. If I knew of these books back (and this board also) then I'm sure it would have changed everything for me and I'd probably have a collection now that would be just freaking awesome.  Punch 12, Mask 1,2, Wonder Comics 1, Fox, Fiction House, Centaurs, Venus 19 type awesome. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, adamstrange said:

Gerber was also responsible for the development of a machine to create the mylar comic bag, another important contribution.

Hey! I read that part in the preface about how he began his Mylar bag business. He constructed 23 prototype bags before he got it right in 1979. Off topic question but anyone know how well current CGC holders protect from UV light?  I wonder if Gerber Mylite 2's or 4's do a better job. I was thinking about putting my slabs in legal size Mylites. Edit: Just found this thread. https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/164782-visual-guide-to-mylar-sizes/#comments

Edited by Professor K
afterthought

The Gerber Photo-Guides are an essential publication that I'm very glad exists.

But the back story on how he allegedly funded the making of those books, if true, makes me shudder.  Allegedly involved the collection of the guy on the left below. Given his reputation, he probably bought those trashy Action 1, Whiz 1, and D27 strewn about the desk. I will let others tell the story about the liquidation of his collection who have more than just the passing tenthhand knowledge that I have. I think it ended up in litigation, and I don't know how that came out.

r/comicbookcollecting - Cherokee Book Store /Hollywood Blvd- 1965