• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerber's Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books Vol. 1,2
3 3

154 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2023 at 7:53 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Color me pleasantly surprised! I had no idea that any such site existed.

CGCdata.com - once you search for a comic (or the whole title), click on a book and get the current label information and current counts (with a chart for the current total universal copies).

At the top of an individual comic current info page, you can click "Show the historical CGC Census results for this book"

image.thumb.png.b109ce2b3bf39e9d2dd4798741bad962.png

Edited by valiantman

On 4/29/2023 at 8:57 PM, valiantman said:

CGCdata.com - once you search for a comic (or the whole title), click on a book and get the current label information and current counts (with a chart for the current total universal copies).

At the top of an individual comic current info page, you can click "Show the historical CGC Census results for this book"

I haven't plotted anything, but a cursory glance makes it appear that the rate at which new copies were being added to the census was fairly linear from about 2003 till about 2021. It has flattened out over the last couple of years, but I would want to wait for a while to see whether that's temporary or whether the supply of raw copies really is getting tapped out.

ETA: I realize that this discussion makes me seem like a nerd, but I'm cool, I swear! My mother always tells me so, and she wouldn't lie.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/29/2023 at 8:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I haven't plotted anything, but a cursory glance makes it appear that the rate at which new copies were being added to the census was fairly linear from about 2003 till about 2021. It has flattened out over the last couple of years, but I would want to wait for a while to see whether that's temporary or whether the supply of raw copies really is getting tapped out.

There isn't a ton of data since there are only 37 universal copies. One way to look at it would be how long it takes for 6 universal copies to be added to the CGC Census.

The number of years for the CGC Census universal counts to go to 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36 were... 2, 1.5, 4.5, 4, 3, and 7 years. Just one additional universal copy in the past 1.3 years, so perhaps another 5 or 6 years to get to 42 universal copies around the year 2028 or so.

If you go by dozens, CGC Census universal counts were 12, 24, and 36 after 3.5 years, 8.5 years, and 10 years (total of 22 years). If the pattern holds, the next dozen universal copies might be another 10 to 12 years away, which would put the universal count at 48 around the year 2033 or so.

On the other hand, if the current holders of ungraded copies are generally part of a similar age group, there could be a "relative flood" on the CGC Census within a few years if their heirs are in need of selling. 

On 4/29/2023 at 1:23 PM, Professor K said:

I took mine off as soon as I got them. Now I have to think of a place to put them.

Speaking of places to put stuff. I'm asking here in the GA section because well, you guys and girls know a lot of stuff.  I bought this safe yesterday. Usual retail is over 500 bucks, BJ's regular price is just under 500, but it was on sale for 279.00 yesterday so I bought it. Plus I gave the kid 20 bucks for helping me get it in my car, in the pouring rain. Took us like a half hour. Tight fit. Without him I'd still be in the parking lot trying to get it in the car. Anyway just got it in the house and up the stairs all by myself (was-not-easy).

Here are some generic pics of it. Feels very sold, heavy, about 200 lbs. Says its fire proof for 90 minutes and waterproof up to 72 hours but I doubt that long. It's 29 inches high interior space and it's wide enough to to stack two rows of cgc books inside.

So I'm asking real quick, don't want to divert too much attention away from this awesome discussion, Are there any problems/dangers with storing books graded or ungraded in a safe like this that you guys know of? Probably somewhat airtight and all. It also came with 4 good size bags of Silica Gel crystals. Not sure if I should keep them in there or not. Thanks. 4b0420999d13eb2f6ba4bb9418abd145.thumb.png.61504e91445d333af320bc9c30382e29.png

20230429_154559.jpg

If it's fire resistant, then it's probably not a good safe for comics.  

On 4/29/2023 at 9:30 PM, valiantman said:

There isn't a ton of data since there are only 37 universal copies. One way to look at it would be how long it takes for 6 universal copies to be added to the CGC Census.

The number of years for the CGC Census universal counts to go to 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36 were... 2, 1.5, 4.5, 4, 3, and 7 years. Just one additional universal copy in the past 1.3 years, so perhaps another 5 or 6 years to get to 42 universal copies around the year 2028 or so.

If you go by dozens, CGC Census universal counts were 12, 24, and 36 after 3.5 years, 8.5 years, and 10 years (total of 22 years). If the pattern holds, the next dozen universal copies might be another 10 to 12 years away, which would put the universal count at 48 around the year 2033 or so.

On the other hand, if the current holders of ungraded copies are generally part of a similar age group, there could be a "relative flood" on the CGC Census within a few years if their heirs are in need of selling. 

If I were to plot the data, I would be inclined to combine the data for universal, restored, and qualified copies. This particular book is valuable enough that even very low grade restored copies are likely to be slabbed before being sold. (I think that submitters have the option of requesting the lower, universal grade rather than a qualified grade, so that may account for the lack of growth in the number of qualified copies.)

On 4/29/2023 at 9:30 PM, valiantman said:

I do think that the holders of most raw copies are part of a similar age group, i.e. "Boomers" born between 1946 and 1964 who built up their collections in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. About 90% of Boomers are still alive. It is reasonable to predict that that 90% figure will be dropping quite a bit over the next decade as the oldest Boomers enter their 80s.

I really don't know what the state of comic collecting will be 20 years from now. Most of the Boomers will be gone by then, and, from what I've seen, that's the generation that has been the most active in the hobby through the years and the most passionate. I know that there are younger collectors who continue to enter the hobby, but I don't think that they'll be able to replace the Boomers in terms of sheer numbers or in terms of dedication. It saddens me to dwell on it, actually.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:23 PM, Professor K said:

I took mine off as soon as I got them. Now I have to think of a place to put them.

Speaking of places to put stuff. I'm asking here in the GA section because well, you guys and girls know a lot of stuff.  I bought this safe yesterday. Usual retail is over 500 bucks, BJ's regular price is just under 500, but it was on sale for 279.00 yesterday so I bought it. Plus I gave the kid 20 bucks for helping me get it in my car, in the pouring rain. Took us like a half hour. Tight fit. Without him I'd still be in the parking lot trying to get it in the car. Anyway just got it in the house and up the stairs all by myself (was-not-easy).

Here are some generic pics of it. Feels very sold, heavy, about 200 lbs. Says its fire proof for 90 minutes and waterproof up to 72 hours but I doubt that long. It's 29 inches high interior space and it's wide enough to to stack two rows of cgc books inside.

So I'm asking real quick, don't want to divert too much attention away from this awesome discussion, Are there any problems/dangers with storing books graded or ungraded in a safe like this that you guys know of? Probably somewhat airtight and all. It also came with 4 good size bags of Silica Gel crystals. Not sure if I should keep them in there or not. Thanks. 4b0420999d13eb2f6ba4bb9418abd145.thumb.png.61504e91445d333af320bc9c30382e29.png

20230429_154559.jpg

The staples on your books will rust faster than you could imagine if you keep them in that safe.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:30 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Incidentally, how do I best lower the risk of rusty staples?

If your house is airconditioned, you probably don't have to worry about it too much. I don't buy books with full red rust, but I haven't seen any change in the books I own that have a little bit of rust (some of which I've owned for 10 years or longer).

Putting the books in an air-tight safe will make them rust, though.

Another board member has previously recommended keeping books in a data grade safe with desiccant packs replaced at regular intervals: 

On 4/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, Professor K said:

Are there any problems/dangers with storing books graded or ungraded in a safe like this that you guys know of? Thanks. 4b0420999d13eb2f6ba4bb9418abd145.thumb.png.61504e91445d333af320bc9c30382e29.png

I hope you're gonna anchor it someway.  All a thief has to do is tilt it onto a two wheel dolly, and roll it out.  then he can try getting the door off or open in his own garage.  

On 4/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Incidentally, how do I best lower the risk of rusty staples?

Easy, move here to SoCal, or southern Nevada.  I simply keep my sleeved comic books in cardboard storage boxes inside wood cabinets, and have been doing that for about 50 years.  In fact I didn't even start sleeving them until about 1998.  A low humidity environment is the key.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:14 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The staples on your books will rust faster than you could imagine if you keep them in that safe.

Yes I read that in this old thread. An interesting read. 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:39 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

If your house is airconditioned, you probably don't have to worry about it too much. I don't buy books with full red rust, but I haven't seen any change in the books I own that have a little bit of rust (some of which I've owned for 10 years or longer).

Another board member has previously recommended keeping books in a data grade safe with desiccant packs replaced at regular intervals: 

Thanks , I'm glad you brought that up. On the website of the safe company they sell several types of dehumidifiers, plus I found lots on amazon. Rechargable dehumidifiers, desiccant canisters. Assuming it's the humidity inside the safe that is the culprit. I'm read in that thread I posted above that it could be from the chemicals used on the safe. I'm going to get one of these as soon as I find out which is more effective. 

https://www.fortresssafe.com/accessories.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Cordless-Rechargeable-Dehumidifier-White/dp/B084HPM153 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=reusable+desiccant+canister&hvadid=557205235833&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9051590&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7469015496069064400&hvtargid=kwd-305597815893&hydadcr=26046_13466879&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6ek58idc1_e

For now until I learn more I'm going to only close and lock the safe when I go out. And I would open it every day no matter what. I'm not sure if the problem with rusty staples is caused by keeping the safe closed for long periods of time and/or if opening it every day would be a solution. I appreciate your help. 

On 4/30/2023 at 12:18 AM, fifties said:

I hope you're gonna anchor it someway.  All a thief has to do is tilt it onto a two wheel dolly, and roll it out.  then he can try getting the door off or open in his own garage.  

Of course. Plus I have it sitting on two of these babies. Anyone who tries to move it is in for a big surprise. 

download.jpg

On 4/30/2023 at 2:00 AM, Professor K said:

Yes I read that in this old thread. An interesting read. 

Thanks , I'm glad you brought that up. On the website of the safe company they sell several types of dehumidifiers, plus I found lots on amazon. Rechargable dehumidifiers, desiccant canisters. Assuming it's the humidity inside the safe that is the culprit. I'm read in that thread I posted above that it could be from the chemicals used on the safe. I'm going to get one of these as soon as I find out which is more effective. 

https://www.fortresssafe.com/accessories.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Cordless-Rechargeable-Dehumidifier-White/dp/B084HPM153 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=reusable+desiccant+canister&hvadid=557205235833&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9051590&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7469015496069064400&hvtargid=kwd-305597815893&hydadcr=26046_13466879&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6ek58idc1_e

For now until I learn more I'm going to only close and lock the safe when I go out. And I would open it every day no matter what. I'm not sure if the problem with rusty staples is caused by keeping the safe closed for long periods of time and/or if opening it every day would be a solution. I appreciate your help. 

Of course. Plus I have it sitting on two of these babies. Anyone who tries to move it is in for a big surprise. 

download.jpg

You jest, but years ago CB radios became popular for a while even in cars. Thieves were stealing CBs left and right. One guy got the idea to rig a bullet to be fired from behind the CB radio if the radio was pulled out. It worked, and the thief was shot dead, but the guy who rigged the bullet ended up going to prison for either murder or manslaughter.

On 4/30/2023 at 2:36 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

You jest, but years ago CB radios became popular for a while even in cars. Thieves were stealing CBs left and right. One guy got the idea to rig a bullet to be fired from behind the CB radio if the radio was pulled out. It worked, and the thief was shot dead, but the guy who rigged the bullet ended up going to prison for either murder or manslaughter.

Oh yeah, legally that's murder in the 1st. Can't do that. 

On 4/29/2023 at 10:14 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

That depends entirely on the kind of safe and how well you monitor and address humidity and temperature.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Another board member has previously recommended keeping books in a data grade safe with desiccant packs replaced at regular intervals

I wonder who that was?... hm ... Data grade safes are very air tight. Unfortunately the thread you linked was closed for further comments 17 years ago (it must've been deemed unsafe). There've been more recent safe discussions. Air conditioning is great! I've never complained about having it! 

The photographs below were taken years ago; I need to upgrade them for comparison (the images, ...not the books, thankfully).

F4FF2CD4-B105-45E6-A0D8-C1D3770D73CD.thumb.jpeg.f7ad83aa0689419e71b171c4621262c5.jpeg

0851185D-013E-48F3-937C-BC95D53A21D8.thumb.jpeg.fa45be16ad032230807a279022ef2632.jpeg

C1F538E2-DCB5-4192-8972-167DDC3FE856.thumb.jpeg.2b351cb85f2951161aefd8c71b84ff3d.jpeg

A08FE7E1-35E9-4D82-A8DA-D808633B4D3D.thumb.jpeg.a484f1e2721467a5837a50efe36ac1fa.jpeg

CD5CFFFD-CFDD-4945-8840-2FBB2C0F4F9B.thumb.jpeg.1e99add492ae81cea0f3714c7aa2610f.jpeg

AC25A383-2D4A-4845-A428-FA0DADF1C4F0.thumb.jpeg.38c02634a9dd60cc1a400fbab6024316.jpeg

Apologies for the glare, my photographic skills are a little ...uhh, rusty.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale and stout edits!