• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 3
14 14

188 posts in this topic

Stopping counting at the ASM 68, with the huge spine tick I had it at 8.5. When I looked again I hit a bullseye on the DD but everything else was so brutal that I am pretty much out of the running. Oh well, there is always next time :) 

On 5/2/2023 at 8:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

Anyone else notice the pen mark? I dropped it for that as well.

Yes...I had it as an 8.5 but pushed it up to 9.0 because I seem to be undergrading most of the time...most but not all;) 

I wasn't sure what the white spots on the ASM were about but only dropped it down to a 9.0. Wasn't harsh enough on the DD with a 9.2 :pullhair:

14-spidey78front.jpg.9eecedb534a5c4903a0a8f78fb42a660.jpg.3aa16eabbd6df30a94772f48e8e2b4be.jpg

On 5/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, universal soldier said:

I wasn't sure what the white spots on the ASM were about but only dropped it down to a 9.0. Wasn't harsh enough on the DD with a 9.2 :pullhair:

14-spidey78front.jpg.9eecedb534a5c4903a0a8f78fb42a660.jpg.3aa16eabbd6df30a94772f48e8e2b4be.jpg

I wasn't sure either, I looked up some copies on eBay to see if they were printing errors, but they didn't seem to have the spots.

On 5/2/2023 at 7:09 PM, zzutak said:

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought the DD #168 was nicer than the ASM #78.  :ohnoez:

The that I put 9.2 and 8.5 on them true enough, but on the opposite books. :pullhair:

Off by 1.0 on the first 3, .5 on the fourth, and got clobbered by the DD #168...

Looney Tunes #5 - 8.0

Rex the Wonder Dog #31 - 7.0

Batman #156 - 4.5

Spidey #78 - 9.0

Daredevil #168 - 9.4

On 5/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, universal soldier said:

white spots

pretty sure those are a manufacturing defect (I mention this in my notes above 😃). I looked at a lot of copies and some have the dots in the same places, some elsewhere, but in 30-50% of the books I saw and on high grade copies too.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:23 PM, skypinkblu said:

I wasn't sure either, I looked up some copies on eBay to see if they were printing errors, but they didn't seem to have the spots.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:25 PM, scburdet said:

pretty sure those are a manufacturing defect (I mention this in my notes above 😃). I looked at a lot of copies and some have the dots in the same places, some elsewhere, but in 30-50% of the books I saw and on high grade copies too.

I looked a bunch too including both of my copies and couldn't find any similar ones. (shrug) Only off by one grade so I'll take it.

One bullseye, the others off by one grade. 4 points total again this round. I feel like that's about the best you can hope to do on average. Most comics grade between two scores. When I grade a comic I usually say something like "5.5-6.0". Then you basically have to toss a coin to guess which score the CGC grader will give it. So, I lost some coin tosses, but wasn't off in my assessments. In other words, I feel pretty satisfied :takeit: