• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

I feel terrible for him and he seems like a really nice guy.  I hope he gets the book back quickly.

However......I'm at a loss for how he had it on display.  He talks about how he had it on his open rack and positioned near the edge of his booth......where someone could easily reach over and grab it while he was distracted. 

He really does seem like a nice fella, and man, I wish I had his outlook on life ("the sun came up this mornin', I'm here, I'm kinda bummed out") - I'd be a complete wreck. I really hope he's able to get it back. Seems like the kind of guy you'd want to crack a beer and talk comics with.

I'm not faulting or blaming him at all, but I don't think there's any way I bring that book to a show - maybe a photocopy with an "inquire about this book if interested" or something like that. Sad that people are as brazen and heartless as these thieves, and even sadder that many get away with it.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I feel terrible for him and he seems like a really nice guy.  I hope he gets the book back quickly.

However......I'm at a loss for how he had it on display.  He talks about how he had it on his open rack and positioned near the edge of his booth......where someone could easily reach over and grab it while he was distracted. 

Actually, the way he describes it ("where the Ghost Rider book is"), it seems like it wouldn't be all that easy to get it without crawling under and past some boxes to get at it from beneath the table.  Not sure it's easy to reach over and get it, but maybe who knows.  Do they have any kind of security cameras pointed that way and/or at exits?  Man, stuff like this sucks.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:07 PM, Telegan said:

Actually, the way he describes it ("where the Ghost Rider book is"), it seems like it wouldn't be all that easy to get it without crawling under and past some boxes to get at it from beneath the table.  Not sure it's easy to reach over and get it, but maybe who knows.  Do they have any kind of security cameras pointed that way and/or at exits?  Man, stuff like this sucks.

It's hard to tell with different camera lenses that distort the viewpoint to one degree or another. 

I'm just going by what he said......"I have to suppose they either leaned over and grabbed it, or came in from underneath and grabbed it".

My guess is you're probably right, and they came in from underneath and grabbed it, as it would be less obvious......possibly while an accomplice distracted him at the other side of the booth.

This is just terrible. I feel very bad for this seller. With all the hullabaloo going on at a con, I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

However, based on the video, I can see several valuable books that could easily be grabbed with very little effort. In the future, I would suggest that he set up his wall with the cheapest books on the outside and the more expensive books on the inside.

Also, with very little effort, I found this book on Heritage. It was sold on January 22, 2023, and not in December.

Also, buying a book for $15,000, then attempting to sell it less than three months later for $25,000, seems to be a very high mark-up. I am sure that I have no comprehension of a comic book dealer's overhead, but selling a big book like AF #15 for a 67% markup seems excessive. If this was Chuck Rozanski, I wouldn't have been surprised.

I am sure that I am going to get criticized for my above comment, but I am in no way advocating that this seller deserves to have this book stolen from him. He seems like a decent guy, and he certainly has a better attitude about it than I would have.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:00 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Sure looks like him. But I don't have the patience to watch YouTube comic videos to find out.

I think it's him.  If so, then I have no compassion that this happened.  

This is a sad story and I feel for the seller. I hope with the word getting out that the book is returned.

I know this is not really relevant, but I was reminded of the security at a coin show I went to years ago. You could look up at the convention ceiling and see guys up on the catwalk with binoculars watching the floor. Again, not relevant and I have no idea what security is like at a comic con. 

Man, this suks. He seems like such a cool guy. A theft like this probably really sets him back. The identifying characteristics on this one should be able to track. I sure hope it turns up for him.

BUT…and I have sad this over and over and got jumped for it. But, why was it not on the top of the rack in the center? Where he put it, he was just asking for trouble. My good stuff is always in a place where I can control it. 

Looks like he was there alone in a pretty large booth without any help. I get it. I do shows myself and used to do it alone. I’m sure I got ripped off here and there but nothing of any significance.

Theft at cons has gotton real bad. I have had a hard time getting help sometimes but there has to be someone else in your booth to keep an eye open.

I did CalCon on Feb and my son in law who knows nothing about comics, kindly consented to be my “Cop”. I also positioned my rack in such a position that no one could get near to it. The place was PACKED. I didn’t lose anything to theft. Here is what it looked like all day.

Again, very sorry for this poor guy. Let his misfortune be a message to us all. 

3B8CFD82-0C25-4B39-98F5-5133802ABD91.jpeg

8AE17764-F03A-47C9-8C10-9A072FD8EFB5.jpeg

On 4/22/2023 at 11:18 AM, Robot Man said:

3.) Tape the bottom front gap of your boxes with clear packing tape to prevent thieves from slipping a book down the front bottom.

This is a great tip and makes perfect sense when you point it out! :applause:

On 4/22/2023 at 10:34 AM, buttock said:

I think it's him.  If so, then I have no compassion that this happened.  

From the YouTube page of the video:

"Please share the video out and help Greg White find his AF 15. There is a $5000 reward no question ask to get the book back."