• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2023 at 4:39 AM, Buzzetta said:

Heh

Two days ago I was passed by someone that was shoving and pushing people to get out of his way so he could run and hurry past everyone on the platform.  He was quite literally putting his hands on the shoulders of people to move them as he forced his way through the crowd.  Someone told him to watch himself, slow down, people yelled "hey" and things liked that.  He turned around to give everyone the finger and as he turned back around he went full force and hit his head on the column in the subway and got a nice gash in his head. 

Not gonna lie... I smiled at that one. 

Hell, I'm smiling right now. lol 

Instant karma :cloud9:

On 5/12/2023 at 7:39 AM, acistaro said:

As someone new to selling books at shows on my own, and as someone who used to assist my Dad selling at shows in the 80s and 90s, I can attest that there is no difference in the morals of sellers, buyers, and random thieves between then and now.  And based on the words of wisdom of my late Grandfather (who never sold a single comic book) - "Keep your wallet in your pocket.", I would assume crime has never been low enough to be flippant about it at any time period in history.

Keeping the expensive stuff behind the table in plain view is Comic Show 101 - and I'm not going to debate whether this is victim blaming or not - just pointing out the obvious way to avoid being a victim.  Hope the thief gets caught, but I also hope others learn to setup their stands to minimize their chances of having their stuff stolen.

I keep my wallet in my front pocket right next to my box cutter. 

On 5/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, Robot Man said:

A few years ago, I was entering the freeway and a beautiful vintage Camaro came zooming up and passed me on the right at a VERY high rate of speed. As soon as he got in front of me his arm came out of the passenger window with the single finger salute!

About 15 minutes later the traffic slowed to a crawl. As I finally passed it, I saw the Camaro smashed into the center divider. I hoped the driver wasn’t hurt bad but to tell the truth, I felt worse for the Camaro…

One word for the driver is.....

Spoiler

Karma!!!

On 5/13/2023 at 6:36 AM, joeypost said:

I had a similar experience many years ago in the New Jersey turnpike. Late model Mercedes tailgating me in the rain and I couldn’t pull over immediately. Once I was able to move over to the right and let him pass he accelerated past me like I was standing still. Granted, all of this taking place in a heavy downpour. 

15 minutes later we see the car smashed into the overpass and a lone trooper waving everybody on. From what I could see, the passenger side was flattened. Hard to imagine that no one was hurt. I hate seeing things like that, but hate it more when individuals like that put me and my family in danger due to their recklessness. 

Similar thing happened to me on the NJ turnpike in the rain. People were driving like fools. We were driving from NY to the Brimfield MA antique show and unfamiliar with the area. We eventually got off and took the back roads going to antique shops. Much safer and more fun. 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:39 PM, acistaro said:

As someone new to selling books at shows on my own, and as someone who used to assist my Dad selling at shows in the 80s and 90s, I can attest that there is no difference in the morals of sellers, buyers, and random thieves between then and now.  And based on the words of wisdom of my late Grandfather (who never sold a single comic book) - "Keep your wallet in your pocket.", I would assume crime has never been low enough to be flippant about it at any time period in history.

Keeping the expensive stuff behind the table in plain view is Comic Show 101 - and I'm not going to debate whether this is victim blaming or not - just pointing out the obvious way to avoid being a victim.  Hope the thief gets caught, but I also hope others learn to setup their stands to minimize their chances of having their stuff stolen.

You are definitely right about this. There are plenty of robbers in our world. I just recently wrote about robberies, asked to do my assignment, used  https://edubirdie.com/do-my-assignment for this. I have many rare books. I don't tell anyone where I keep them. Even my closest friends don't know this information. As they say, “God protects those who are careful.”

Edited by AnnSteverson

On 9/12/2023 at 4:27 AM, AnnSteverson said:

You are definitely right about this. There are plenty of robbers in our world. I have many rare books. I don't tell anyone where I keep them. Even my closest friends don't know this information. As they say, “God protects those who are careful.”

So do safes, alarms, cameras, dogs and Smith and Wesson. I never in my wildest dreams thought things like this would be necessary for my funny books…

On 4/22/2023 at 4:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Would love to hear any more tips from those of you who do shows! 

I stopped dealing and doing shows in '91. I did a lot of shows. I always brought a baseball bat with me.

A lot of dealers had concealed stuff for 'defence' of their stock. Can't speak for others but my bat remained unused, I only remember one theft from me, but whoever did it was a pro so props to them. You get stuff stolen from you, it's usually your fault in some way at a show. 

Edited by Paul (GG) © ® ™⚽️💙