• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, gcstomp said:

The ugly characterizations of people who insist on piling on to a 70 year old who soloed megacon as a dealer, and suffered a loss, displays the worst of people, and of a mindset. Where are you in your path to think it is wise to kick a hard working old man who is down. As seen on vid greg has mature attitude of, I woke up today, and the sun was shining, so l am a little down but not out. I am not in a place in my head where i could take a hit like that so graciously.

Care to comment on his inability to disclose known restoration? 

On 4/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, Prince Namor said:

First time I remember hearing about someone getting a high dollar book stolen at a show was Dragon Con 1995.

Wow, I think I was there that year but I’ve never heard of that, what book was it? Did they recover it?

On 4/23/2023 at 12:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

He's probably of a generation that makes it hard to perceive human beings crawling around underneath his tables like mongrel dogs looking for something to steal. Give it few more years and you'll just be able to rob someone at gunpoint at a convention with zero repercussions.

You say this like the dealer wasn't a young adult during the crimewave of the 70s and 80s, when theft was much much more common. Much safer country now than it used to be

Looks like karma finally showed its face with this Greg White dealer and bit him hard in the butt! I never really seen him nor knew about him at all so at first, I felt bad about what happened.  After reading more and more first hand experiences from him and how he knowingly advertises these restored raw books as unrestored without any disclosure of the restoration, I really don't feel sorry for this guy anymore. Who knows how many people he had ripped off during all those years as a dealer!!  It must add up to the value of the AF 15 that was stolen from him I would think 🤔 

On 4/25/2023 at 7:53 PM, BrooksR said:

Wow, I think I was there that year but I’ve never heard of that, what book was it? Did they recover it?

I have some idea, but rather than rely upon my memory from 30 years ago, I'll just say that what I DO remember is three dealers discussing it and then I never heard another word about it. I'm not sure HOW I would've heard about it, as I didn't know any of them and social media was many, many years away. 

The point is, it DID happen throughout the years - it's not a new occurrence. 

On 4/25/2023 at 9:03 PM, Dark Knight said:

Looks like karma finally showed its face with this Greg White dealer and bit him hard in the butt! I never really seen him nor knew about him at all so at first, I felt bad about what happened.  After reading more and more first hand experiences from him and how he knowingly advertises these restored raw books as unrestored without any disclosure of the restoration, I really don't feel sorry for this guy anymore. Who knows how many people he had ripped off during all those years as a dealer!!  It must add up to the value of the AF 15 that was stolen from him I would think 🤔 

I've been burnt by dealers like this at cons more than once in the past. Not on any grails, but on silver age run fillers. For books that are $5-$10 I normally don't take every single one out of the bag, but I've had a number of surprises like detached covers,  detached centerfolds,  missing pages, ripped out pieces,  etc that weren't disclosed. Based on those experiences and what I've heard about this guy, I don't feel all that sorry for him. Not saying he deserved it, but I'm definitely not going to lose any sleep over it.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

You say this like the dealer wasn't a young adult during the crimewave of the 70s and 80s, when theft was much much more common. Much safer country now than it used to be

Lmfao yall hit me with the hahas like I'm wrong

On 4/25/2023 at 9:04 PM, Prince Namor said:

I have some idea, but rather than rely upon my memory from 30 years ago, I'll just say that what I DO remember is three dealers discussing it and then I never heard another word about it. I'm not sure HOW I would've heard about it, as I didn't know any of them and social media was many, many years away. 

It has always been a problem to some degree. But these days it is escalating at a rapid rate with sometimes no consequences when caught.

Sellers, sadly, need to be MUCH more villigant and do everything possible to prevent themselves from becoming victims. 

On 4/26/2023 at 4:20 AM, serling1978 said:

I've been burnt by dealers like this at cons more than once in the past. Not on any grails, but on silver age run fillers. For books that are $5-$10 I normally don't take every single one out of the bag, but I've had a number of surprises like detached covers,  detached centerfolds,  missing pages, ripped out pieces,  etc that weren't disclosed. Based on those experiences and what I've heard about this guy, I don't feel all that sorry for him. Not saying he deserved it, but I'm definitely not going to lose any sleep over it.

Sorry, but this is on you. It has happened to all of us. I have found suprises (both good and bad) with even big, well respected dealers. When you handle large amounts of collections, things slip through the cracks now and then. To me, it’s all about they handle it.

Now dealers that deliberately try to cheat or mislead buyers is another story. Been going on since the dawn of collecting. They usually get weeded out one way or another.

Always check everything you buy carefully. Especially from dealers you don’t know. Even cheap books if you are not willing to take a chance.

I have learned over the years who I am willing to deal with. I avoid those who do not meet my standards and spend my money with those who do.

I will repeat, even though this guy, apparently, had a checkered past, he doesn’t deserve to be a victim of direct theft. 

On 4/26/2023 at 7:54 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I assume that’s because you’re just more aware of all the crime due to social media and the internet . 

I don’t sit around and dwell on it but yeah I pay attention to local, National and world news as well as financial news and weather a little everyday. I like to be informed. I pay no attention to news that is “slanted”.

I don’t live in fear but I don’t bury my head in the sand either…

On 4/26/2023 at 9:17 AM, Robot Man said:
On 4/25/2023 at 11:04 PM, Prince Namor said:

It has always been a problem to some degree. But these days it is escalating at a rapid rate with sometimes no consequences when caught.

Sellers, sadly, need to be MUCH more villigant and do everything possible to prevent themselves from becoming victims. 

Bob, all of our comments regarding thefts are anecdotal. Without statistics none of us can back up our claims of whether crime is on the increase or decrease. My personal experience has been that attempts to steal from my booths at show has decreased tremendously over the years. Some of the decrease is due to our procedures but I really think some of it is due to the realization that the public shaming could be so much worse now then in the past.