• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request Changes to Slab notations HERE
6 6

130 posts in this topic

its 1st appearance of AHSOKA in continuity but auto correct didn't like that lol 

On 5/31/2023 at 12:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@CGC Mike

Can we add star wars #5 mace windu

As

The first in continuity of Ashoka

It's being sold for a long time as such, and promoted also as such by other media, would be nice to confirm with cgc. :)

Ill see about adding this thread to best in comics general to avoid pinning threads ...

The Buffy characters - Buffy #1 Sept1998 - don't seem to be notated

Capture.JPG.c932b094dea337a00d33294cf96984dd.JPG

Can the powers that be amend if this is correct? I know the Dark Horse presents - also Sep 1998 is noted 1st Buffy - but I think Cordelia, Giles, Willow, Oz and Xander are certainly THIS book.

Thanks

Edited by Beige

Action61.thumb.jpg.0c3a60303c843dd9e04e2171b4aaece9.jpg

Action61error.thumb.jpg.7d1f13d3aaff49691f64ce020f505e76.jpg

Not sure were this Action Comics #61 notation error originated (Overstreet?).....but it's not correct.

Superman is not fighting atomic radiation on the cover.  He's fighting an oil well fire.  How do you tell?:

• The four huge oil drilling rigs in the background.
  • The massive fire and black smoke shooting out of the hole in the ground (why would atomic radiation cause fire and smoke to shoot out of the ground?).
  • The men are not wearing radiation suits.  They are suits used for fighting oil well fires to protect them from the flames and intense heat (Link to fire fighting equipment....see an image of a similar suit below from that linked page).
  • You can see the exact same type of oil drilling rigs (and fire) in the picture at the bottom of this post.
  • The comic is from 1943...well before the first detonation of a nuclear device, and before the general public was even aware of them.

Edit: For those thinking this sounds familiar.....I discussed the same topic in this thread two years ago.

Suit.jpg.54aba7a805eed3a8b57879f05ebf19a8.jpg

Fire.thumb.jpg.925643f2e0897cbd86c00ad1773d45ef.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

This is going to be a big one, but I figured I'd collate 1st appearances of Across the Spider-Verse characters that people may want notated in key notes. Vague spoilers ahead.

More than likely a lot of these won't warrant a key notation but, at the very least, you'll have this post to point to when people ask about random alternate universe Spider-Men

I've tried to order them by 'key note likelihood', but, of course, I am not the authority on that

vault.thumb.jpg.3118c1d86baf5b46868fb96fa7c2ed19.jpg

Vault of Spiders #1 (12/18)

1st Appearance of Spider-Byte (Margo) 

[She plays a not-insignificant role in the movie, managing the Go-Home machine and having a few scenes dedicated to her]

image.thumb.jpeg.67714af3b87f9b23a6429cbd0b141918.jpeg

Spider-Geddon #0 (11/18)

1st Appearance of Insomniac Spider-Man in comics

[He only has a brief cameo in the movie, but he is also the star of a major video game & several other comics]

LEGO_Marvel_Super_Heroes_Vol_1_5.jpg.b2cb9d3dea62db06169dac9cfca485ab.jpg

LEGO Marvel Super-Heroes #5 (08/12)

1st Appearance of LEGO Spider-Man

[There are no copies of this on the CGC Census, I believe it was packed in with the LEGO set 6873: Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush, The character of LEGO Spider-Man does get an entire section of the movie dedicated to him, but I understand that this iteration of the character might not justify his own key note]

Spider-Man_2099_Meets_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1.thumb.jpg.a262fb81ace2f90d8889fc3ce8b62266.jpg

Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man #nn (11/95)

1st Appearance of Spider-Man 2211 (Max Borne)

[This Spider-Man gets his own lines during the chase scene, and has appeared in a few non-Spider-Verse comics]

Spider-Verse_Vol_3_3.thumb.jpg.c00a3ab1035d55247a7a5392fc490073.jpgSpider-Verse_Vol_3_6.thumb.jpg.9919c1d56197d1be6acd15aa2df492d2.jpgEdge_of_Spider-Verse_Vol_2_4.thumb.jpg.c5f1edeeaba7ac9ed2396a3af8676208.jpg

Spider-Verse #3 (02/20)

Appearance of Sun-Spider (Charlotte Webber) in pin-up

Spider-Verse #6 (05/20)

1st Cameo Appearance of Sun-Spider (Charlotte Webber)

Edge of Spider-Verse #4 (11/22)

1st Full Appearance of Sun-Spider (Charlotte Webber)

[These probably don't all need key notes, but the character is adapted into the movie, getting her own lines during the chase]

Edge_of_Spider-Verse_Vol_2_1.thumb.jpg.6f1e1e7360e838752754a5b8114796bf.jpg

Edge of Spider-Verse #1 (10/22)

1st Appearance of Spider-Rex (Pter Parker)

[This Spider is given his own fight scene, being called out as one of the 'weirder' spiders by Miles]

Spider-Island_I_Love_New_York_City_Vol_1_1.jpg.142a3cc2c65697fb5e4d541a56237dd6.jpg

Spider-Island: I Love New York City #1 (11/11)

1st Appearance of Spider-Cat

[They are the only Spider without any lines that got their own poster, which may or may not justify the key note]

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_3_12.jpg.b17d68f6fc721c046d4c14f26b9f80e0.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #12 (07/16)

1st Full Appearance of Web-Slinger (Patrick O'Hara)

[Technically appears in cameo in a crowd shot in Amazing Spider-Man #9 (05/16) & his name is not revealed as Web-Slinger / Patrick O'Hara until Spider-Verse #4 (03/20), He might justify a key note as he exchanges words with Miles both before and during the chase scene]

This is more a CGC Census thing than a slab notation, but for Batman 608 there is a 2nd printing error variant that is noted as such on the slab. However, the census does not distinguish the error variants and groups all of the 2nd print 608s together. As a result, there is no way of knowing how uncommon this error variant is.  

Including my copy as eye candy :)

image.thumb.jpeg.0285dc8d03390e33d51f93dde958f460.jpeg

Conan 58 1st Belit

(You can remove 1st Belit from Conan GS 1 - it only mentions her name - the tiny woman is not Belit, it is Valeria - if you can't admit the error then go Belot cameo if you must)

Compare this to Hulk 180/181 if you doubt that Beloit's 1st App is Conan 58

Yes, I have a few Conan 58s!

Mark

Hi all!

Similar to Wonder Woman, Joker, Catwoman, (Sensation #1, DC #40 and #122 respectively), and many other great characters, the below books should be given the designation “first cover appearance of _____” 

1.    Strange Tales #118 - Dr. Strange

Depicted in the bottom 1/4 of the book with his name displayed prominently. He is also holding the Eye of Agamotto, a key item in the character’s mythos. More than a floating head that is for sure!  

2.    New Gods #2 - Darkseid

Depicted with his name displayed prominently. He is at the forefront and drawn larger than any of the posse of characters behind him. Much more than a tiny floating head.

3.    Amazing Spider-Man #51 - Kingpin

Depicted prominently on the cover.

4.    Captain Marvel #28 - Thanos

lf (3).jpeg

lf (2).jpeg

lf (1).jpeg

lf.jpeg

How old does a comic have to be to get a "classic cover" notation? I feel like Batman #423 could definitely qualify, in terms of books from more recent eras. 35 years old, and there really isn't anything else about the issue that drives its popularity.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, twoseezy said:

Hi all!

Similar to Wonder Woman, Joker, Catwoman, (Sensation #1, DC #40 and #122 respectively), and many other great characters, the below books should be given the designation “first cover appearance of _____” 

3.    Amazing Spider-Man #51 - Kingpin

lf (2).jpeg

100% this

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 6/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, Browns81 said:

The Tick #1 may be noted as first cameo of Arthur since he is in the background in one panel.

Would it be "The Tick Special Edition #1" for the cameo? I'm pretty sure the special editions came first. Haven't read it but I'm guessing it's the same as The tick #1. I know there is an ashcan too but not sure of the exact release or content of the issue. 

Edited by CyberSnake
Typo

@CGC Mike

Any chance we can get some notes for Sentai #2, as it is the first comic appearance of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?

I don’t believe any MMPR comics have that noted on the label yet, so hopefully it is an easy addition.

I have been wanting to send my copy in for grading for quite some time, but have been waiting to see if there will ever be a label update. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0650.jpeg

• Administrator
On 7/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, jjfversion1 said:

@CGC Mike

Any chance we can get some notes for Sentai #2, as it is the first comic appearance of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?

I'll be going through this thread in about 2 weeks and sending all of the requests to the team.  This will be round 2, as I sent in part of the requests and posted the changes a few months ago.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'll be going through this thread in about 2 weeks and sending all of the requests to the team.  This will be round 2, as I sent in part of the requests and posted the changes a few months ago.

Thank you Mike!

On 7/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi Mike, any updates on this?