• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer 1
2 2

12 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2023 at 9:37 PM, cchunn3 said:

How far thru the book does the staining go?

It's apparent for the last ~4 pages. I tried to show how it decreased from page to page in picture 9. 

What confuses me though is the cover. I can't find any evidence of water damage on the inside of the front cover, but it definitely looks like there's something on the "big premiere issue" badge.

IDK if I would call this a beater copy. It's salvageable IMO since the egregious staining is on the reverse & it looks OK from the front. I would have called this a 4.5/5.0 just based on the front cover & spine. CGC doesn't have much tolerance for stains so 3.0/3.5 is where I'm at. Maybe a 4.0 if you slip an extra $20 inside the pages for the graders. I have seen some videos of people somewhat successfully washing water stains off with water & then pressing the book to restore the look of the page. Since it's the outer edge of the back cover & it is a major key, I would check to see if there's a professional out there thinks this is an option. I think these non-chemical techniques would avoid a restored label, which you wouldn't want given the rest of the condition.

Last copy, we thought it was 2.5/3.0 because of the damaged spine but it came back with 4.0 that stunned us.

Your copy looks nice but the big stain on BC and four pages.  It's hard to remove it but I preferred to leave it as is rather than getting the PLOD.  I estimated it 2.5/3.0.

Edited by JollyComics