• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there risk of getting a lower grade when subing an all ready graded book for pressing/regrading
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Hello.  Is there any type of guarentee that the grade stays the same at a minimum when resubbing a game for pressing and regrade?  Is there any insurance you can buy from them to protect against damage during this process?  I book I have is worth about 50k.  Id also be interested in dropping off in person if thats an option?

There can never be any guarantee the grade will stay the same, since the book would be graded blind, with no prior knowledge of the grade you shipped it in. CGC are not obliged to maintain any given grade. If it was under graded last time you could see an improvement, but equally if it was overgraded last time you could be disappointed with the new grade. There is also the added risk each time a high value book is handled that new damage may occur. Why must a book already valued at 50k be improved upon in your opinion? 

Dropping off at events CGC attend or organise is the only drop off option I'm aware of but others will know better than me and chip in.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 4/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

There can never be any guarantee the grade will stay the same, since the book would be graded blind, with no prior knowledge of the grade you shipped it in. CGC are not obliged to maintain any given grade. If it was under graded last time you could see an improvement, but equally if it was overgraded last time you could be disappointed with the new grade. There is also the added risk each time a high value book is handled that new damage may occur. Why must a book already valued at 50k be improved upon in your opinion? 

Dropping off at events CGC attend or organise is the only drop off option I'm aware of but others will know better than me and chip in.

Thanks for the info.   In regards to the risk of damage from handling.  Is the game not insured by them for the declared value to protect against this?

On 4/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, robers33 said:

Thanks for the info.   In regards to the risk of damage from handling.  Is the game not insured by them for the declared value to protect against this?

It should be, but it often comes down to everyone passing the buck. Please keep in mind you have a two week window to address any damage done to your book once you receive it. 

On 4/27/2023 at 7:56 PM, Cman429 said:

I sent a slabbed graded 9.2 to the last Mcfarlane signing and got it back 7.5. So yeah when you resubmit a book disaster can happen 

Risks are arguably higher with a signing though. Although with care they shouldn't be.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:20 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Risks are arguably higher with a signing though. Although with care they shouldn't be.

I mean the risks can be mitigated and lowered, but they should be higher with a signing no matter what right?  

On 4/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, revat said:

I mean the risks can be mitigated and lowered, but they should be higher with a signing no matter what right?  

Much more travel and handling with a signing. 

So more handling = a great chance of damage happening. 

As others answer - yes.

That said with many submitted for Sig Series events, reholder, etc. Only one has come back below the submitted grade. Others have been same or increased enough to make it worthwhile.

Edited by rexinnih

Is there risk of getting a lower grade when subbing an all ready graded book for pressing/regrading

IMHO the odds of a comic being damaged and receiving a lower grade is greater than scoring a higher number.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, MAR1979 said:

Is there risk of getting a lower grade when subbing an all ready graded book for pressing/regrading

IMHO the odds of a comic being damaged and receiving a lower grade is greater than scoring a higher number.

If that is the case (<50%) then are you saying then that all reputable pressers just show you the few cracked and pressed books on their websites that got higher grades just to get your business? That’s a pretty jaded attitude and I would hope that professional and respected pressers show the improvements from cracked books to demonstrate that it IS worth pressing an unpressed slabbed book. Is it possible to get a lower grade? Absolutely but I believe the benefits outweigh the risks in most cases else reliable pressers would not show their work.

Edited by phantomdj
additional comment.

Think we should draw a clear distinction. The OP is asking if a already graded book could drop in its grade after a press. Not after its been sent for a Sig signing.

The odds of a grade bump for a book going for a Sig signing + press should be statistically lower than those books which are just going for a press. As mentioned earlier, this would be due to the fact that more hands are touching the book and the book just takes a longer journey.

And for the latter i.e., just going for a press, I think whether it drops in its grade depends a lot on its original condition. Sending high graded books e.g. a 9.2 and expecting a 9.4 should be harder to expect than sending a 6.5 hoping for a 7.5. I'm speaking generally here of cos but I seriously doubt the C+P business would last if the odds of dropping in grade was >50%.

Think the original condition of the book matters a lot as well as whether it would benefit from a press. The pressing business is meant to specifically improve certain deficiencies. If those deficiencies are not present or are minimal, then there's nothing much to improve on. 

Edited by Grendel72

On 5/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, Grendel72 said:

Think we should draw a clear distinction. The OP is asking if a already graded book could drop in its grade after a press. Not after its been sent for a Sig signing.

The odds of a grade bump for a book going for a Sig signing + press should be statistically lower than those books which are just going for a press. As mentioned earlier, this would be due to the fact that more hands are touching the book and the book just takes a longer journey.

And for the latter i.e., just going for a press, I think whether it drops in its grade depends a lot on its original condition. Sending high graded books e.g. a 9.2 and expecting a 9.4 should be harder to expect than sending a 6.5 hoping for a 7.5. I'm speaking generally here of cos but I seriously doubt the C+P business would last if the odds of dropping in in grade was <50%.

Think the original condition of the book matters a lot as well as whether it would benefit from a press. The pressing business is meant to specifically improve certain deficiencies. If those deficiencies are not present or are minimal, then there's nothing much to improve on. 

Exactly. Well stated.