• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you paying for the grade or for the condition of the holder? Or both?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Small lines in the plastic. Newton rings. Hairline cracks in the sides. I'm thinking some people barely take notice, while some people will send a book back in for a reholder to try to improve the quality of the case holding the book.

Casting no judgment here - everyone has different expectations. I've submitted a few books, and mostly bought books already slabbed - with case imperfections mentioned above (except for one that had a legitimate crack and debris inside), and I'd never given it a second thought. I subscribe to the idea that I am buying the book if it visually matches the grade assigned, and for the CGC grade itself. The holder is just a sealed case to protect the grading service provided.

Where do you stand on accepting or rejecting "new" slab imperfections?

On 4/29/2023 at 11:35 AM, Timmay said:

As far as ME's go, I am at a 25% return rate on over 400 books over the past 15 months.

And that is not sending them ALL back, on some I missed something or the defect was tolerable.

I just got back a 25 ME book sub.  Originally ALL of them had a scuffed inner well (looks like someone took sandpaper to it).

Four went back AGAIN (three had debris in the case and one had white spots inside the case).

The majority of the books have large buffing compound smudges/streaks I have to remove with wax.

Over half had side edge cracks.

That’s pretty significant - leaving aside what you, yourself, would find acceptable to keep/reject - do you feel the need to send these back because a customer would potentially cause return/refund issues on the case quality when you go to sell it?

On 4/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That’s pretty significant - leaving aside what you, yourself, would find acceptable to keep/reject - do you feel the need to send these back because a customer would potentially cause return/refund issues on the case quality when you go to sell it?

100% because of customer issues, either a potential return or discount due to the damage.

I had a customer on ebay ask if a book was DAMAGED/still the same grade because the case had a minor side edge crack.

Why should I eat it for CGC's mistakes/ineptitude?

Imperfections in the slabs, especially newton rings, cracks, and those white specks, can mean trouble and returns if you ever choose to sell the book. I personally dont mind small flaws but I still send stuff back knowing that if I dont I will have to pay for a re-slab later. 

Edited by Stefan_W

I've always bought the books I wanted regardless of the slab.

But when I've sold, I've heavily discounted books that had bad Newtons ring, because it's just so unattractive. 

It's really disappointing that we are still talking about Newtons Ring after all of these years. 

On 4/29/2023 at 8:59 PM, KCOComics said:

But when I've sold, I've heavily discounted books that had bad Newtons ring, because it's just so unattractive. 

It's really disappointing that we are still talking about Newtons Ring after all of these years. 

This guy gets it.  (thumbsu

On 4/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, KCOComics said:

Today I learned that how we used to scan film positives at the ad agency I worked at (inside a special plastic case to keep the film from touching the scanner glass) is how you eliminate Newton's Rings. It wasn't until I was researching a bit this morning that I discovered that. I'm sure there has been years worth of suggestions on how CGC could eliminate them, so I won't bother chiming in - I just found it interesting that I had been preventing them all those years ago and I never even knew what it was I was avoiding.

To my recollection, virtually every slab holding the comic books I have had graded since I have done so has flaws. However, prior to approximately 2018, if memory serves, the flaws were typically minimal. Since then they became more significant, including, of course, newton rings, very visible and often deep scratches and/or scuffs, spots, debris inside the holder with some being quite large, comic books moving far too freely inside the holder, cracks in the holder, etc.

Yet, I keep paying for CGC's services and will likely continue to do so. Clearly, I'm a born sucker. :screwy:(shrug):facepalm::tonofbricks::frown::whatthe::cry::blush:???

I don't buy many slabs but when I have, I would expect a case to be in very good condition.  I wouldn't pay extra for a better slab, and I won't buy a bad one.

It's not hard to take care of them. CGC gives that loose plastic, the competition gives a nice, fitted mylar.  Either way just leave them inside and protect them.

As for Newton Rings, that's a different story.  Its a CGC-only problem.  The competition knows how to avoid them.  I avoid them too.

1st worry = the grade

2nd worry = post grade damage by the encapsulation team

3rd worry = SCS during delivery

4rd worry = a bad press / wavy pages

5th worry = debris inside the holder

6th worry = cracked holder

7th worry = everything on the label is correct

8th worry = newton rings, scratches or scuffs

Edited by lostboys

On 4/29/2023 at 12:35 PM, Timmay said:

The crystal­-clear plastic’s superior optics unleash a comic’s true color and vibrancy.

It seems odd that you would have to put a book inside of something in order to see it's true color.  Seems like its "true" color would be the color that it is when viewed through a minimum of intervening media (like air alone), but just like the Church of the Subgenius ("They'll pay to know what they really think"), I guess people will pay to know what a book really looks like.

I currently own no slabbed books.  Everything I once had has either been sold or gifted to friends at some point. (Yes, I gave away a couple that I really wish I had back in this post-2020 boom era...)

That said, I am/was very interested in getting some of my PC comics slabbed, but that desire wanes daily as I see the "Quality Control" thread grow ever longer.

If I were to get my books graded and slabbed, I would consider that to be their final state, essentially.  For that reason, I don't want them in unattractive, damaged slabs with scratches and cracks and Newton rings and debris and who knows what else.  I would want what CGC says they deliver - a beautiful, protective case that enhances the look of the comic, not one that takes away from it.

So yes, I absolutely want a case that looks as close to perfect as it can be, and I really don't think that's too much to ask, considering what CGC charges.

I don't mind buying books with a few flaws on the case as long as the flaws do not visually impair viewing the book like "Funnybooks" posted above.  Also as long as the case does not endanger harming the book.  Some small side cracks, corner cracks, cracks in the label area won't stop me from buying a book I really really want.  Of course if I have a choice, the flawless case is the one I'm buying.  
When selling, I will mention the case defects and price the book as best I can with these case defects in mind.