• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

****The Collector's Summit****Dallas, Texas November 4-5, 2023
5 5

86 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, Telegan said:

Full disclosure :  I had never been to a comic convention in my life.  I collected as a kid, but never went to conventions to buy stuff or bought much off the rack due to the family's lack of funds.  Even when I really started collecting maybe in the last decade or so, I was cautious about putting a ton of money into the hobby because I'm usually very conservative with finances.  For reference, I bought a comic for around $195 back around 2011 or 2012 and thought I had lost my mind.  In retrospect, I wish I had lost more of my mind then.  Suffice it to say I do spend a bit more nowadays even if my instincts kick in to not let it get out of hand.

All this to say before my review below, this was all new to me :

• Me and what I kind of expected  : As I got older (I'm 53), I really wasn't into things like cosplay, autograph seeking (with maybe very rare exceptions), asking Lavar Burton questions (although I loved that show and still watch it in reruns), and I didn't want to be slapped in the face by some dude's Mjolnir as I'm walking around (I admire cosplayers and their skills and lengths they go to try and clone characters, because I sure as hell don't have the skills - but it's just not for me).  If I go to a comic convention, I go for ... comics.  If there are speakers, I want to hear them talk about comics.  If you have special guests, they must be industry-related, veterans in the collecting hobby, etc. and they must be asked hobby-related questions as opposed to "what's your favorite pudding flavor?"  I really didn't want a convention that tries to be everything to everybody.  I was happy with the results in this regard.

• Type of Inventory - This was all Bronze, Silver, and Golden Age (along with at least one table with a ton of pulps and some original art scattered throughout).  And the previous bullet-point and this one along with locality to where I live were the 3 things that told me "you've gotta go to this".  I didn't care if I didn't buy anything, tbh.  I just wanted to check it out.  A lot of the pics you see don't even get into the breadth of inventory that was available.  Obviously, the best books are the wall books, but most dealers had tons of short boxes that also contained tons of other books in case you were looking for less-lusted-after books, fillers for runs, etc.  And a lot of these were GA books (you could find lower-grade Tales from the Crypt, for example).

• Quality of Inventory - To me this was somewhat mind-blowing.  The pictures don't show it justice (especially since a lot of them lose resolution on the upload, apparently).  If you wanted some high-end books (rare, popular, and high-grade), sure you may not find them since you won't find everything anywhere, but there were a large amount of lower-grade, mid-grade, and high-grade recognizable/popular books out there.  In a lot of cases, the GA boxes were separated from the SA/BA for those that don't want to thumb through 400 ASM's to get to their funny animal comic grail.

• Dealers - There were a lot of the recognizable names from the industry there like Harley Yee (though I don't think he was there), Shortbox (thanks for the free t-shirt), mycomicshop.com, Bedrock City, Dale Roberts Comics, WorldWide comics, Golden Age Guru, Tomorrow's Treasures, Buzzard Brothers, Reece's Rare Comics, Red Hood Comics, and probably others I can't remember.

• Misc -

The dealer area was stocked with quality books from the GA, SA, BA periods but there were personal collections being thrown out on the tables with seats in the middle of this.  I saw some IG/social media guys I knew throwing out high end books.  I'm talking about as small as those tables were, they had probably $25,000+ worth of comics on them in some cases.  And, in many cases, they were GA books.  Again, mindblowing - there were no "meh" dealers there, and then throw in these guys that have social media presence and sell regularly online in there, and I don't know how you could be disappointed with anything other than the prices. :D

There was room to walk around everywhere despite the amount of people, but I think for the volume of people wanting to sell and the amount of stuff in there, there were some issues with navigating around.  The only issue I encountered was around where Bedrock City and CGC were stationed.  A lot of people were congregated there and there was a narrow funneling effect for people to get through around there.  What made it worse for those of us with backpacks was that it seemed like we were blocking somebody or bumping people while trying to stare at comics or get through.  Not a big issue, but just saying everything wasn't perfect. lol.

I saw Mr. Bedrock and Cat-Man_America, and was going to say "hi", but Mr. Bedrock seemed to always be chatting with a customer or something, so I didn't interrupt.  That, and I went by and looked at his wall books and I wasn't going to be buying any of those.  Not even the vile, filthy, lowly CGC 8.5 whatever I saw up there that he probably has to hire an exorcist to heal him of the effects of every time he touches it.  I think Cat-Man was Cat-Man, anyway.  The only thing I recognized was the hair.  Maybe next year I'll bump into you folks again, assuming I'm still living in the area.

The "free" food was nice.  On preview day/Saturday, people were throwing quesadillas and other foods in your face.  On Sunday, there were food trucks with free food and sugary stuff by the CGC area, I think, to kill any nearby diabetic just by looking at it.  Seriously, this at least made it so people didn't have to leave and go find food for a couple hours unless they wanted to.  Keep the trading and buying going, I guess.

How was the buying and selling? I don't know - that's something for dealers to answer.  I heard one guy saying he was doing more trading than selling, so that's probably not good, I guess, but I don't know if that's an indication of a lot of overpriced books, or people not willing to spend that much in "these challenging times", or something else.

• Personal/Random Observations -

I ended up buying 3 comics (all from mycomicshop.com).  A lot of that was simply because I'm familiar with those guys, but more because they put most (all?) of their comics that they would be bringing online along with the prices they would be asking.  They were also willing to come down on prices.  I didn't get any "steals", but I wasn't looking to - I was just looking to get some comics I wanted without getting screwed over. lol.  Just a personal opinion, but this is how it should be done.  Listing comics that will be available ahead of time gives a chance for people to get an idea of what will be there.  On "preview day", if there is one, they can maybe look at the comic and the next day come in and start making offers.  Instead, it ends up being rifling through hundreds of comics, maybe finding a bunch you may be interested in buying but you don't know as much about when it comes to pricing, trying to figure out if you're being screwed over or if you're giving a non-sensical counter-offer that's just going to irritate the dealer off, etc.  There were situations on some comic books, I didn't even bother offering anything simply because "$700? ... I have no idea if that's outrageous or at least in the ballpark where I can ask them to come down maybe $50".  Now there were some books you looked at the pricing and said "I'm not even going to bother - I'm in 2023, let me know when you get here." lol.

I didn't even bother looking at a lot of the SA and BA comics, tbh, because I could see they were either overpriced or the market is so volatile or whatever you want to call this "correction phase", I wasn't even going to bother.  It seemed like today's $500 comics is tomorrow's $300 comic.  But also, if you have something priced at $1000 and I can see the recent trend is down and the recent sale prices are around $800 and there's some rarity involved, I can at least try to haggle with you on it.  But when you have that same comic priced at $1500-$2000, I really don't even bother - it just doesn't seem like we'd ever find common ground.  Again, that's just me.

Most of the people I saw there looked like they were in their 30's and up.  There were several I saw who looked like they could have been in their 20's.  What they were collecting is anyone's guess.  I met a couple of guys there who were more into SA/BA books but said they were getting into GA because friends had told them about them.  They seemed open-minded and really interested but both said they had no clue what to look for, what to buy, etc. in the Golden Age, and, because of the prices on some of the stuff, they were hesitant to buy something at the Summit without really knowing what they were buying.  I told them that was probably a good approach so you don't feel burned afterwards.  They looked like they were in their 30's or 40's, so that's good news for the future of collecting GA/SA/BA stuff.

The Heritage people I ran into were pretty nice.  From everybody at the front desk, to the people granting access to the event, to security, to the people handing out food, etc.

I saw some YouTube guys there like Swagglehaus (still ticked I didn't have my copy of Darkhawk #1 for him to autograph). lol.  YouTube influencers with an affinity toward BA/SA/GA should get discounts to this, if you ask me (assuming they don't already).  They help keep the new generation interested.  I enjoyed talking to Swag and noticed him with a camera, so expect a YouTube video regarding the convention soon, I suppose.  As I mentioned, Golden Age Guru was also there.

On the 2nd day, seating became difficult if you just wanted to sit down and do some research or take a break.  Much of the middle of the room where the tables/seating was was pretty much filled with individual collectors/vendors to display their wares.  NEED MOAR SEATS FOR THE COMMON MAN!  Just sayin'... :D

All in all, this was pretty much what I expect a comic convention to be.  It had focus, quantity, quality, etc. Unless I'm doing something else next year, and if it's going to be back in the Dallas area again and I still live in the area, I'm definitely going back.  Maybe by then I'll graduate to the next level of "I just can't pay $____ for a comic book!".  I hear that's how it goes, anyway.  Baby steps.

Thanks for one of the most detailed and comprehensive reports I’ve ever read on a show!

On 11/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, Telegan said:

Full disclosure :  I had never been to a comic convention in my life.  I collected as a kid, but never went to conventions to buy stuff or bought much off the rack due to the family's lack of funds.  Even when I really started collecting maybe in the last decade or so, I was cautious about putting a ton of money into the hobby because I'm usually very conservative with finances.  For reference, I bought a comic for around $195 back around 2011 or 2012 and thought I had lost my mind.  In retrospect, I wish I had lost more of my mind then.  Suffice it to say I do spend a bit more nowadays even if my instincts kick in to not let it get out of hand.

All this to say before my review below, this was all new to me :

• Me and what I kind of expected  : As I got older (I'm 53), I really wasn't into things like cosplay, autograph seeking (with maybe very rare exceptions), asking Lavar Burton questions (although I loved that show and still watch it in reruns), and I didn't want to be slapped in the face by some dude's Mjolnir as I'm walking around (I admire cosplayers and their skills and lengths they go to try and clone characters, because I sure as hell don't have the skills - but it's just not for me).  If I go to a comic convention, I go for ... comics.  If there are speakers, I want to hear them talk about comics.  If you have special guests, they must be industry-related, veterans in the collecting hobby, etc. and they must be asked hobby-related questions as opposed to "what's your favorite pudding flavor?"  I really didn't want a convention that tries to be everything to everybody.  I was happy with the results in this regard.

• Type of Inventory - This was all Bronze, Silver, and Golden Age (along with at least one table with a ton of pulps and some original art scattered throughout).  And the previous bullet-point and this one along with locality to where I live were the 3 things that told me "you've gotta go to this".  I didn't care if I didn't buy anything, tbh.  I just wanted to check it out.  A lot of the pics you see don't even get into the breadth of inventory that was available.  Obviously, the best books are the wall books, but most dealers had tons of short boxes that also contained tons of other books in case you were looking for less-lusted-after books, fillers for runs, etc.  And a lot of these were GA books (you could find lower-grade Tales from the Crypt, for example).

• Quality of Inventory - To me this was somewhat mind-blowing.  The pictures don't show it justice (especially since a lot of them lose resolution on the upload, apparently).  If you wanted some high-end books (rare, popular, and high-grade), sure you may not find them since you won't find everything anywhere, but there were a large amount of lower-grade, mid-grade, and high-grade recognizable/popular books out there.  In a lot of cases, the GA boxes were separated from the SA/BA for those that don't want to thumb through 400 ASM's to get to their funny animal comic grail.

• Dealers - There were a lot of the recognizable names from the industry there like Harley Yee (though I don't think he was there), Shortbox (thanks for the free t-shirt), mycomicshop.com, Bedrock City, Dale Roberts Comics, WorldWide comics, Golden Age Guru, Tomorrow's Treasures, Buzzard Brothers, Reece's Rare Comics, Red Hood Comics, and probably others I can't remember.

• Misc -

The dealer area was stocked with quality books from the GA, SA, BA periods but there were personal collections being thrown out on the tables with seats in the middle of this.  I saw some IG/social media guys I knew throwing out high end books.  I'm talking about as small as those tables were, they had probably $25,000+ worth of comics on them in some cases.  And, in many cases, they were GA books.  Again, mindblowing - there were no "meh" dealers there, and then throw in these guys that have social media presence and sell regularly online in there, and I don't know how you could be disappointed with anything other than the prices. :D

There was room to walk around everywhere despite the amount of people, but I think for the volume of people wanting to sell and the amount of stuff in there, there were some issues with navigating around.  The only issue I encountered was around where Bedrock City and CGC were stationed.  A lot of people were congregated there and there was a narrow funneling effect for people to get through around there.  What made it worse for those of us with backpacks was that it seemed like we were blocking somebody or bumping people while trying to stare at comics or get through.  Not a big issue, but just saying everything wasn't perfect. lol.

I saw Mr. Bedrock and Cat-Man_America, and was going to say "hi", but Mr. Bedrock seemed to always be chatting with a customer or something, so I didn't interrupt.  That, and I went by and looked at his wall books and I wasn't going to be buying any of those.  Not even the vile, filthy, lowly CGC 8.5 whatever I saw up there that he probably has to hire an exorcist to heal him of the effects of every time he touches it.  I think Cat-Man was Cat-Man, anyway.  The only thing I recognized was the hair.  Maybe next year I'll bump into you folks again, assuming I'm still living in the area.

The "free" food was nice.  On preview day/Saturday, people were throwing quesadillas and other foods in your face.  On Sunday, there were food trucks with free food and sugary stuff by the CGC area, I think, to kill any nearby diabetic just by looking at it.  Seriously, this at least made it so people didn't have to leave and go find food for a couple hours unless they wanted to.  Keep the trading and buying going, I guess.

How was the buying and selling? I don't know - that's something for dealers to answer.  I heard one guy saying he was doing more trading than selling, so that's probably not good, I guess, but I don't know if that's an indication of a lot of overpriced books, or people not willing to spend that much in "these challenging times", or something else.

• Personal/Random Observations -

I ended up buying 3 comics (all from mycomicshop.com).  A lot of that was simply because I'm familiar with those guys, but more because they put most (all?) of their comics that they would be bringing online along with the prices they would be asking.  They were also willing to come down on prices.  I didn't get any "steals", but I wasn't looking to - I was just looking to get some comics I wanted without getting screwed over. lol.  Just a personal opinion, but this is how it should be done.  Listing comics that will be available ahead of time gives a chance for people to get an idea of what will be there.  On "preview day", if there is one, they can maybe look at the comic and the next day come in and start making offers.  Instead, it ends up being rifling through hundreds of comics, maybe finding a bunch you may be interested in buying but you don't know as much about when it comes to pricing, trying to figure out if you're being screwed over or if you're giving a non-sensical counter-offer that's just going to irritate the dealer off, etc.  There were situations on some comic books, I didn't even bother offering anything simply because "$700? ... I have no idea if that's outrageous or at least in the ballpark where I can ask them to come down maybe $50".  Now there were some books you looked at the pricing and said "I'm not even going to bother - I'm in 2023, let me know when you get here." lol.

I didn't even bother looking at a lot of the SA and BA comics, tbh, because I could see they were either overpriced or the market is so volatile or whatever you want to call this "correction phase", I wasn't even going to bother.  It seemed like today's $500 comics is tomorrow's $300 comic.  But also, if you have something priced at $1000 and I can see the recent trend is down and the recent sale prices are around $800 and there's some rarity involved, I can at least try to haggle with you on it.  But when you have that same comic priced at $1500-$2000, I really don't even bother - it just doesn't seem like we'd ever find common ground.  Again, that's just me.

Most of the people I saw there looked like they were in their 30's and up.  There were several I saw who looked like they could have been in their 20's.  What they were collecting is anyone's guess.  I met a couple of guys there who were more into SA/BA books but said they were getting into GA because friends had told them about them.  They seemed open-minded and really interested but both said they had no clue what to look for, what to buy, etc. in the Golden Age, and, because of the prices on some of the stuff, they were hesitant to buy something at the Summit without really knowing what they were buying.  I told them that was probably a good approach so you don't feel burned afterwards.  They looked like they were in their 30's or 40's, so that's good news for the future of collecting GA/SA/BA stuff.

The Heritage people I ran into were pretty nice.  From everybody at the front desk, to the people granting access to the event, to security, to the people handing out food, etc.

I saw some YouTube guys there like Swagglehaus (still ticked I didn't have my copy of Darkhawk #1 for him to autograph). lol.  YouTube influencers with an affinity toward BA/SA/GA should get discounts to this, if you ask me (assuming they don't already).  They help keep the new generation interested.  I enjoyed talking to Swag and noticed him with a camera, so expect a YouTube video regarding the convention soon, I suppose.  As I mentioned, Golden Age Guru was also there.

On the 2nd day, seating became difficult if you just wanted to sit down and do some research or take a break.  Much of the middle of the room where the tables/seating was was pretty much filled with individual collectors/vendors to display their wares.  NEED MOAR SEATS FOR THE COMMON MAN!  Just sayin'... :D

All in all, this was pretty much what I expect a comic convention to be.  It had focus, quantity, quality, etc. Unless I'm doing something else next year, and if it's going to be back in the Dallas area again and I still live in the area, I'm definitely going back.  Maybe by then I'll graduate to the next level of "I just can't pay $____ for a comic book!".  I hear that's how it goes, anyway.  Baby steps.

I wish you would have interrupted. I would have liked to have met you.