• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabs are Separating by Themselves
2 2

20 posts in this topic

@CGC Mike Hi Mike, Someone suggested that I reach out to you about these 2 slabs that had been in the same order of only 2 slabs.

I received them back in December 2022 and checked them when received and they appeared fine. I put them in a storage box with 15 other books and they sat there until the other day when I went to sort them into different storage boxes and noticed that they are separating. I was told that since it is past 14 days, they are no longer eligible for ME.

I do know that CGC has changed their position on ME's recently, and understand not excepting cracks, chips and other physical damages but these are clearly defective.

Please let me know if there is any way you can help,

Thanks,

20230512_091541.jpg

20230512_091505.jpg

Is it possible to get a ME with any slab like this?

Ive sent 2 slabs back to sellers on Ebay recently because the slabs were not secured all around.

If I knew a ME was possible, I may have went that route because I really wanted to keep those books. 

• Administrator
On 5/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, lostboys said:

Is it possible to get a ME with any slab like this?

Anything over the 14 day window of receiving back from CGC would have to be on a case by case basis.  I would guess yes, but would have to ask my superiors.  

• Administrator
On 5/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

Mike, I want to thank you for advocating for collectors who raise issues and for giving a large company like CGC a very human face.  CGC hired the right guy and I hope they appreciate your worth.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.  

On 5/15/2023 at 8:03 PM, TegrityComics said:

received them back in December 2022 and checked them when received and they appeared fine. I put them in a storage box with 15 other books and they sat there until the other day when I went to sort them into different storage boxes and noticed that they are separating.

What would cause this?

On 5/17/2023 at 8:24 AM, lostboys said:

Im assuming he didnt stack the slabs 15 high.

That probably could do it.

Extreme cold...maybe?

I originally put then back into the shipping box from CGC after checking them out. I actually really looked closely at these books because they had been the first-time using CCS pressing service. FYI, pressing was fantastic and I was totally impressed with results. I gave the books the total white glove treatment while handling them. (Literally) They showed no signs of coming apart. A week later I put them into those BCW black plastic boxes, Christmas Gift from the Wife. (Very Supportive). They sat in the box for about 5 months in the middle with other slabbed books and as soon as I picked them up you can tell something was definitely wrong. Also, my books are stored in Climent controlled environments so extreme Hot or Cold could only have occur in transit. 

Hmm, this might be why the last two slabs (recently graded) I've cracked open, the sealing felt very 'incomplete'  and were VERY easy for me to open; I managed to do so without any cracks or damage (I could potentially reseal the slabs easily enough if I so desired and was a jerk)

On 5/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Hmm, this might be why the last two slabs (recently graded) I've cracked open, the sealing felt very 'incomplete'  and were VERY easy for me to open; I managed to do so without any cracks or damage (I could potentially reseal the slabs easily enough if I so desired and was a jerk)

hm  is this a new problem?

On 5/19/2023 at 12:24 AM, thehumantorch said:

hm  is this a new problem?

Honestly, I'm pretty sure this has always been a small issue, but only now gets much more attention due to the news of people trying to sell counterfeit books that have been resealed. At least I know I'm scrutinizing the slabs I get back far more closely as a result of this and the overall slump in QA I read about.