• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My latest batch of 102 books just came back from CGC!

No Newton Rings

No ME's

No scratches

No upside down books!

Are you guys happy for me? :foryou:

Terrell Owens American Football GIF - Terrell Owens American ...

I mean, if that's really true I am genuinely happy for you.  My most recent submission back this week of a measly eight books had one mislabel 

PXL_20230520_153913676.jpg

On 5/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, Tcarroll17 said:

I mean, if that's really true I am genuinely happy for you.  My most recent submission back this week of a measly eight books had one mislabel 

PXL_20230520_153913676.jpg

All jokes aside, that does suck.

Been there many times, so I get it.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/25/2023 at 1:18 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

All jokes aside, that does suck.

Been there many times, so I get it.

Yeah I mean you can joke, it is what it is.  I'm not so sensitive, just because people have a difference of opinion on here doesn't mean we can't also have fun 😊

Right, it does suck. That's been my frustration lately.  If you seriously are getting a hundred bucks back each month, and not having any issues, you truly must have a guardian angel or something.  Since December I've submitted 14 separate orders, ranging from one book walkthroughs, to 12 book moderns.  I have only had one order come back without some kind of moderate issue, whether it be the scuffing, severe Newton rings, a mislabel, plastic inside my cases, etc.  That was a two book standard, both books came back absolutely perfect.

So just in my own biased experience, statistically what you say doesn't seem possible to me 😵‍💫

Alright I’ll chime in. I recently submitted approximately 80 books. Only one has what I would call significant newton rings and scuffing, but, admittedly, it’s pretty bad. Did not see any plastic pieces or mislabels. Although if someone is actually looking for scuffing, I don’t know how that one made it through, but I am personally fine with 79 out of 80 being good. I do think it it’s something like a H181 (as shown earlier in this thread) they ought to look a bit harder than if it’s a $5 modern  

Also, I’m probably in the minority, but I’m at least glad there is a stated policy now. A few years ago I tried to get some newton rings fixed and was told that they weren’t covered because they are natural and present in nearly all CGC books. That answer bothered me because clearly we know that isn’t true. I mean at the time I called I had hundreds of slabs in front of me and only 2-3 had significant rings. I told the person that and they said I was wrong and that every single slab has them it’s just some are worse than others. So I said well these are clearly really bad ones so why can’t we exchanged the super bad ones. And they said because newton rings are in all slabs. Bit circular but I gave up.  After looking at these forums for a while, I tried again a couple months later, exact same books and exact same request, but got a different person who approved it immediately with no argument.  Then like a year later I tried again and got another person who was unmovable but that time I just gave up. Then I saw people on here talking again about getting them fixed through ME. That sort of inconsistency is pretty frustrating. So I’m glad they have a stated policy, and I do think people can be too picky,  but I really think bad examples of newton rings should qualify. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tcarroll17 said:

Yeah I mean you can joke, it is what it is.  I'm not so sensitive, just because people have a difference of opinion on here doesn't mean we can't also have fun 😊

Right, it does suck. That's been my frustration lately.  If you seriously are getting a hundred bucks back each month, and not having any issues, you truly must have a guardian angel or something.  Since December I've submitted 14 separate orders, ranging from one book walkthroughs, to 12 book moderns.  I have only had one order come back without some kind of moderate issue, whether it be the scuffing, severe Newton rings, a mislabel, plastic inside my cases, etc.  That was a two book standard, both books came back absolutely perfect.

So just in my own biased experience, statistically what you say doesn't seem possible to me 😵‍💫

Oh I definitely have MEs over the course of year. 5-8 per 300 books-ish, but then sometimes I have nothing for 3-4 months.  I also understand I run this like a business, so I am prepared to get the paperwork done right away, and for others it's sometimes they really dont want to be bothered with, and just want it done right the first time.  I also have to keep in mind while I am a collector, mainly for me this is now a business.

Sometimes a box gets dropped from FedEx and right away I have 5 cracked cases from one invoice. 

Sometimes I just sell them as is at auction, and the potential bidder/buyers know the issues before hand.

Case in point last month I got a Gen 13 #1 CGC 9.8, and it has the exact problem you just showed with your Wolverine. 

So I truly get the frustration, especially from collectors that submit just a couple times a year.

I just wish some here would calm down a little, and stop being so dramatic.

Either way I am sympathetic to someone like yourself, I really do get it can be very frustrating. 

So I hope CGC fixes your book fast for you my friend once they get it back! :wishluck:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Oh I definitely have MEs over the course of year. 5-8 per 300 books-ish, but then sometimes I have nothing for 3-4 months.  I also understand I run this like a business, so I am prepared to get the paperwork done right away, and for others it's sometimes they really dont want to be bothered with, and just want it done right the first time.  I also have to keep in mind while I am a collector, mainly for me this is now a business.

Sometimes a box gets dropped from FedEx and right away I have 5 cracked cases from one invoice. 

Sometimes I just sell them as is at auction, and the potential bidder/buyers know the issues before hand.

Case in point last month I got a Gen 13 #1 CGC 9.8, and it has the exact problem you just showed with your Wolverine. 

So I truly get the frustration, especially from collectors that submit just a couple times a year.

Either way I am sympathetic to someone like yourself, I really do get it can be very frustrating. 

So I hope CGC fixes your book fast for you my friend once they get it back! :wishluck:

This may be the most level-headed thing you have ever posted.

Quoting for posterity (and in case you go back in and edit it again [and again]).

:jokealert:

On 5/25/2023 at 1:34 PM, Poekaymon said:

Alright I’ll chime in. I recently submitted approximately 80 books. Only one has what I would call significant newton rings and scuffing, but, admittedly, it’s pretty bad. Did not see any plastic pieces or mislabels. Although if someone is actually looking for scuffing, I don’t know how that one made it through, but I am personally fine with 79 out of 80 being good. I do think it it’s something like a H181 (as shown earlier in this thread) they ought to look a bit harder than if it’s a $5 modern  

Also, I’m probably in the minority, but I’m at least glad there is a stated policy now. A few years ago I tried to get some newton rings fixed and was told that they weren’t covered because they are natural and present in nearly all CGC books. That answer bothered me because clearly we know that isn’t true. I mean at the time I called I had hundreds of slabs in front of me and only 2-3 had significant rings. I told the person that and they said I was wrong and that every single slab has them it’s just some are worse than others. So I said well these are clearly really bad ones so why can’t we exchanged the super bad ones. And they said because newton rings are in all slabs. Bit circular but I gave up.  After looking at these forums for a while, I tried again a couple months later, exact same books and exact same request, but got a different person who approved it immediately with no argument.  Then like a year later I tried again and got another person who was unmovable but that time I just gave up. Then I saw people on here talking again about getting them fixed through ME. That sort of inconsistency is pretty frustrating. So I’m glad they have a stated policy, and I do think people can be too picky,  but I really think bad examples of newton rings should qualify. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.  On the whole I've probably had more good experiences than bad over a couple years.  It's just recently it's been so bad for me, which some people agree with, some people seem to actually have the opposite happening to them where it was bad and now it's been good.  For sure that's the issue, the inconsistency with figuring out what is what.

I mean I completely agree with you and NewWorldOrder, sometimes people are certainly too nitpicky.  If it's super minor, a tiny little surface scratch, a hardly noticeable ring, etc, it's something that possibly would happen anyway just from owning it and handling it.  Frankly, I don't stress about the Newton rings personally, because they are super easy to fix.  If you look up YouTube videos, it's actually really simple to fix it... BUT, that is what makes the policy kind of asinine.  It is not hard to fix, and QC should make sure they look good before sending back to the customer.  I do understand from the perspective of the company as well, however, they are likely inundated with a lot of borderline ME requests, or even ones that shouldn't qualify at all, which is what has it so backed up for the obvious ones (like my mislabel above).

I appreciate the sentiment, that was my Hulk 181.  An absolute bummer when it showed up like that.  Although I would say I agree with you because it affects me personally, I also will disagree.  Whether it is a Hulk 181, or a $5 modern, it shouldn't really matter.  At the end of the day, someone paid for a service and they should get what they paid for.  I'm blessed to be able to own that comic, and yes I paid a lot of money for  services.  But maybe somebody has a $50 comic and they are super psyched about it.  They deserve the same experience as me.  

On 5/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, shadroch said:

We need to let the Moms for Freedom and Kid Blocks of the world know that CGC is sending out rainbow slabs.  They'll get Blackstone's attention.

A vexation on the spirit. Repeat after me comic book boards. 

On 5/25/2023 at 1:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I appreciate that, thank you.  

As I've said in other post, I think we probably agree on more than we disagree.  I don't really take issue with the policy at large, having stated policy is not a bad thing in business, especially a service based business.  I run a business myself, so I do understand that side of it.  Customers will eat you alive if you allow it. As far as comics, I am a collector, it's something I enjoy and a hobby.  I might flip a book here or there, really just to upgrade a copy or fund something else I want to add to the collection.  So yeah, I do think the perspective of who is submitting and why you're submitting does come into play.  On CGCs side as a business, that's probably irrelevant to them.  That's where their business is a little bit different.  It's a service, but also kind of a product, and there is a lot of emotion to it (for a lot submitters, not all).  

If our roles were reversed though, and I was a seller first, the rate of issues I've been having would KILL ME.  I'd have half my inventory tied up in ME boxes in the warehouse.  

In the end, as long as they make right and fix the legitimate issues I guess it's a wash.