• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

So shippers never damage packages in transit? :baiting:

Was that really your reply to where I said shippers cause damage?

"defects aren't caused by shippers.  Damage is."

I mean... you even bolded it.  Did you just choose not to read it?

You have time to go back and edit that one too if it helps you save face.

On 5/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Was that really your reply to where I said shippers cause damage?

"defects aren't caused by shippers.  Damage is."

I mean... you even bolded it.  Did you just choose not to read it?

You have time to go back and edit that one too if it helps you save face.

I agree with you, I was trying to lighten things up a little.

It's not that serious.

YARN | Heisenberg says "relax." | Breaking Bad (2008) - S01E07 | Video gifs  by quotes | 3aa42943 | 紗

On 5/19/2023 at 10:26 PM, I like pie said:

I would encourage you to ask to speak to the higher ups about pushing those through. That's outrageous.

I agree. It seems this is across the board.

I replied, "I did see the memo, but these were submitted well before the memo came out. As I understand it, anything sent in after that would no longer qualify, correct?.."

Their response:

'Thanks for reaching back out. We do understand that it may seem this way; however, Newton Rings previously were not automatically approved Mechanical Error submissions and it was determined on a case by case basis. At this time we cannot accept these as a Mechanical Error submissions. We can offer you a credit of $25 to your account if you would like to proceed with Reholdering the books.

As mentioned previously Newton Rings are a naturally occurring phenomenon and reholdering the books will not guarantee that they will eliminate the Newton Rings.  These can occur at any time and may even develop over time on holders due to the crystal clear nature of the plastics.  Thank you.'

On 5/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, Robert_L said:

I replied, "I did see the memo, but these were submitted well before the memo came out. As I understand it, anything sent in after that would no longer qualify, correct?.."

Their response:

'Thanks for reaching back out. We do understand that it may seem this way; however, Newton Rings previously were not automatically approved Mechanical Error submissions and it was determined on a case by case basis. At this time we cannot accept these as a Mechanical Error submissions. We can offer you a credit of $25 to your account if you would like to proceed with Reholdering the books.

As mentioned previously Newton Rings are a naturally occurring phenomenon and reholdering the books will not guarantee that they will eliminate the Newton Rings.  These can occur at any time and may even develop over time on holders due to the crystal clear nature of the plastics.  Thank you.'

I've heard 2 stories on how MEs were handled before.

1) Just send in your MEs - no need to get approval or call CS.

2) Call CS and get approval before sending in your MEs.

Were your MEs approved beforehand?

On 5/21/2023 at 8:50 PM, JDH-84 said:

This was reholdered several years ago to the new case, and I believe this "developed over time" as stated above. It's almost unbelievable that they say this is acceptable. I would almost be too worried to have it reholdered even if it was free. 

20230521_121401.jpg

DO NOT send that book through the current QC Gauntlet....:insane:

On 5/21/2023 at 7:50 PM, JDH-84 said:

This was reholdered several years ago to the new case, and I believe this "developed over time" as stated above. It's almost unbelievable that they say this is acceptable. I would almost be too worried to have it reholdered even if it was free. 

20230521_121401.jpg

CGC may have taken the stance that this is acceptable, but almost ANYONE who looks at that book would keep hearing this in their head. 

The same thing repeats when asked if CGC should even be trusted to fix it without damaging that book. 

Gorgeous book BTW!

On 5/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, Robert_L said:

Their response:

If this happened to me and the newton rings, in my opinion were unacceptable,  I would ask it to be escalated to upper management. If they still denied the no charge reholder, I would tell them to go ahead and process the order. Once the book(s) were back, I'd file a chargeback with my bank and be done with CGC.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:38 PM, Nick Furious said:

If you buy your raw books through MCS they will already come with a grade on them that is highly respected in the industry.  It doesn't eliminate all need for slabbing, but it certainly reduces it.  

How does buying a raw book from MCS help when you go to sell it? Why would the potential buyer care what MCS graded a book that you bought? How would you prove it is the same book?

On 5/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, Gaard said:

Has anyone asked themself why CGC, after years of acknowledging that some rings are excessive, now says that there is no such thing as an excessive case of NRs?

At its simplest, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:54 PM, Gaard said:

I've heard 2 stories on how MEs were handled before.

1) Just send in your MEs - no need to get approval or call CS.

2) Call CS and get approval before sending in your MEs.

Were your MEs approved beforehand?

Previously, I had was asked to provide photos of the faults before getting clearance to send them in. I had 70 plus emails of Reholder Requests, before I was told I no longer needed to get clearance to send them back.

So, to answer your question, no they were no approved beforehand. But previously, when I had sent in photos of the newton rings, I was happily told those look horrible and to send them back for a free recasing. Anything over a quarter in size was enough to get 'fixed'