• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

347244711_187207440936006_9050388165011397964_n.thumb.jpg.bca4c6ec1bacc77068745082b8eafb9b.jpg

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/11571/mechanical-errors-policy/

Posted on 5/16/2023

Effective May 16, 2023, CGC has updated its Mechanical Errors policy for clarity and consistency.

Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) accepts returns in certain instances, such as when the CGC submitter receives a collectible back with a typographical error on the label or an obvious scratch on the outside of the holder. These returns are called Mechanical Errors on the CGC online submission form.

Effective May 16, 2023, CGC has updated its Mechanical Errors returns policy for clarity and consistency. All Mechanical Error submissions, regardless of error, must be received by CGC within 14 days of the submitter’s receipt of the collectible. In addition, returns can only come from the original submitter of the collectible. Newton’s rings (explained below), which can occur naturally under certain conditions, do not qualify as a Mechanical Error.

Valid Mechanical Error submissions are not charged shipping, insurance or handling fees if the return is made within 14 days of the submitter’s receipt of the collectible. If CGC determines that a Mechanical Error submission is within its quality acceptance criteria, however, the submission will be returned in its original holder, and roundtrip shipping fees will be charged to the submitter.

What qualifies as a Mechanical Error?

There are two types of Mechanical Errors:

• Label defects
  • Holder defects

Label defects

Certain issues with the CGC label qualify as Mechanical Errors, such as incomplete information on the label, inaccurate or missing data or the wrong label stock was used; for example, a comic book that received a Universal grade, which should have been encapsulated with the Universal Blue label, was instead incapsulated with the Green Qualified label.

In the case of a label defect, CGC will relabel and reholder the collectible for a period of 14 days after receipt, at no cost to the submitter.

Holder defects

Obvious scratches, scuffs and/or blemishes in or on either the outer holder or inner holder that cannot be safely removed qualify as Mechanical Errors. Certain debris, such as obvious dust, loose particles or other material that is not naturally shed by the collectible itself, is also considered a holder defect that is submittable as a Mechanical Error.

Optical distortions or effects, such as Newton’s rings, rainbows or other prismatic effects (see below), that are natural phenomena related to light passing through the outer holder, inner holder or a combination of the two are NOT considered holder defects, and do not qualify as Mechanical Errors. Neither do scratches, scuffs or blemishes on the inside of the inner holder (if used) that were caused by contact with the collectible.

In the case of a holder defect, CGC will relabel and reholder the collectible for a period of 14 days after receipt, at no cost to the submitter.

Why don’t Newton’s rings qualify as a Mechanical Error?

Newton’s rings are the natural result of two pieces of plastic coming together. They may be more or less pronounced depending on the thickness of the collectible. The CGC holder is built with long-term preservation in mind, and its construction is necessary to ensure the protection of the encapsulated collectible. Newton’s rings are not an indicator of any deficiencies with the CGC holder and therefore do not qualify as a Mechanical Error. For more information about Newton’s rings, watch the video below.

Edited by ak47po

I can understand some of this but the newton rings one is a joke. I have had to send 16 books back out of a 25 book order before due to major newton rings everywhere, and if that happens now I am stuck with them. 

People buying on Ebay are still going to return books if they see the flaws that no longer qualify. The amount of discount slabs out there is going to skyrocket. 

What I don't understand is how shards are ok if original submitter and within 14 days, but if not? Oh well. Are they defects? Check yes or no! Is someone going around making shards just to get free reholders?

The newton rings I kind of understand, which I think this is there only resource.

1) it doesn't happen to all comics

2) it's about time it becomes the norm and accepted when using cgc.

3) buyers should live with it because cgc is and you're buying a CGC product no more.on the 3rd party seller from 3rd party grading

4) buyer doesn't like it don't buy cgc, cause that is what cgc is saying to submitters,.which is their only recourse as it has become part of the product.

But if cgc is ok with shards ONLY if original submitter? To that I shake my head, unless someone was trying to get free reholders and gaming the system but idk

Spoiler

It really is that simple. And cgc might see this defect as that harmful or ugly, but like you said, when compared to the millions of others out there through past holders? It makes yours stand out as defective...

I'm not saying cgc could be right or wrong, but I am noticing a trend. They do this about once a year to see how it goes? Or it feels like?

This isn't their first time adjusting terms, and I'm wondering if it has happened more seldom their risking this adjustment to terms again?

Really any and all defects are on cgc, whether real or perceived when got back and within 14 days? Is that the fine print?

Lol not to sound like a meany but c'mon

Unless there are people playing some reholde game I'm not aware of to send in free submission with their reholder package or some other way gaming the "system".... 

I think there is a lot to perceive that no one has answers too, and I no longer can guestimate hahaha but I love you cgc, and hope I don't submit a thing and get it back unfavorable, then perhaps even get a free shipping label due to it and somehow it's not approved by you, and get charged the whole shebang anyway?  :shy:

I typed it so I'll submit it in spoiler, just sounds like a rant, and I don't want to be that guy 😭

Also it makes it look like if they send you the label, then in hand don't approve it, they charge you anyway, the way it reads.

I thought they approved it before the label was sent, but this reads if not approved after in hand?

Screenshot_20230516_172603_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also it makes it look like if they send you the label, then in hand don't approve it, they charge you anyway, the way it reads.

I thought they approved it before the label was sent, but this reads if not approved after in hand?

Screenshot_20230516_172603_Samsung Internet.jpg

You are correct sir, if you send in ME and CGC determines it does not qualify you pay shipping both ways.

On 5/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ryan. said:
On 5/16/2023 at 5:34 PM, ak47po said:

are correct sir, if you send in ME and CGC determines it does not qualify you pay shipping both ways.

Looking forward to the eventual class action lawsuit!

Well lol

Moving on I guess :)

giphy-5.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM