• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

14 days is plenty enough time to open and review your shipment. 10 days is plenty enough time.

It probably takes more that 10 days for @greggy to move all the boxes off of his front porch. :roflmao:

On 5/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It probably takes more that 10 days for @greggy to move all the boxes off of his front porch. :roflmao:

@greggy is a king and nerds move his books for him, it's called status and you can't buy it.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:38 PM, NewWorldOrder said:
On 5/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, manetteska said:

Yes, a percentage are "anxious with excitement" to get their books. That doesn't necessarily mean they can easily access the books; see my examples above.

Also, your experience is not everyone's experience.

Of course none of us have hard numbers here, but I would say the same percentage (or relatively similar numbers) who would take advantage of a 30-day window would also take advantage of a 14-day window.

In either case you are arguing for a customer, anxious with excitement to get his/her books books, knowingly lying and damaging his/her own books (or cases) as opposed to the company itself doing what it is paid to do.

I get what you are saying, but again you now know all of this before you submit your books to CGC so you as the customer or dealer are agreeing to these company guidelines beforehand.  Personally I think 14-days is beyond reasonable, and that is their right as a company to set forth those return guidelines.  So either you can accept them or take your business elsewhere.

Should a eBay customer have the option to return CGC book for buyers remorse after 14 days?  I had a guy last month return a book 13 days after receiving it in the mail.  They said they just didnt want it anymore.  lol   I mean I think that is unreasonable for any seller to have to take a collectible that for that reason, no?

Agreed on knowing the facts going in; I wouldn't even call my submission volume a drop in the bucket, but whatever it was it has completely dried up (mainly due to CGC mangling comics).

I also understand no amount of belly-aching on this board is going to change anything, in regards to pricing or MEs or timeframes.

Any return policy can be exploited, for any timeframe. Your example with an eBay customer, however, is different as (I'm assuming) you provided exactly what the customer purchased and now have to eat a return. In many (not all) cases CGC is not providing what the customer paid for and is making the customer pay again to make it right (and even getting it right the second time is a cra-shoot).

On 5/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

five years later we would not be celebrating the elimination of the problem via a revised case design, but being told to "lump it" regardless of the severity.

Shameful really, isn't it.

Yes, it really is.

I can't wait for these Blackstone guys to finally decide they're not making enough money and sell this company to people who actually know right from wrong. Hopefully, they'll know a little about comics, too.

I miss the days when CGC was a good company. For the past few years, it's been a very slimey one.

On 5/18/2023 at 3:14 PM, skypinkblu said:

So if you got back a book that looked like this, you'd be fine with it?  Because I'm not all that fussy about grades, but I sent this one back. If it came like this now, I would have to pay to have it reslabbed, with no guarantees I suppose.

katykeene550001.thumb.jpg.6d908ec14b9ba0d553bed7ec20891487.jpg

I don't buy graded books but have some (ie I don't pay more for slabbed than I would for raw) in my collection. There are a few that I have most likely specifically because of Newton Rings - early on when it was found, I won some auctions that featured them, probably because other people didn't know and thought they were defects on the books.

I believe that CGC should first differentiate between Damage and Defect when talking about ME's.

14 days seems perfect to check your books for physical damage and maybe 30 days for defects this would give people enough time to check labels and such.

Also, maybe CGC should have different number of days based on the type of account the customer may have (Business/Personal). This way they can give a little extra time to a business which has more volume of submissions. Just for the record I don't feel that it is the responsibility of CGC to give extra time to a business. To me it is up to the business to handle the volume on their own and make sure they have resource to check slabs when they arrive. (That's all part of day-to-day business). Don't hate me it's just normal business practice...

There are probably a million things CGC can do with this issue that could be a win on both sides but, at this time I sadly feel that Leadership at CGC has switched to regular corporate mentality which is make money for the shareholders at whatever cost to the customer. The fact that they are drawing an official line in the sand on the policy is funny considering that the product keeps getting worse. Since I started submitting books back in November, I have had a 10% ME rate. That is totally ridiculous in this day and age. I don't know if CGC uses something called Lean Six Sigma but the premise is to lower your defect rate. Good practice is deemed at 3.4 defects per million opportunities you folks have it backwards a million defects on 3.4 opportunities. Work on that first before you lose all your customers because of these policy changes when the issues are clearly yours.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, manetteska said:

Agreed on knowing the facts going in; I wouldn't even call my submission volume a drop in the bucket, but whatever it was it has completely dried up (mainly due to CGC mangling comics).

I also understand no amount of belly-aching on this board is going to change anything, in regards to pricing or MEs or timeframes.

Any return policy can be exploited, for any timeframe. Your example with an eBay customer, however, is different as (I'm assuming) you provided exactly what the customer purchased and now have to eat a return. In many (not all) cases CGC is not providing what the customer paid for and is making the customer pay again to make it right (and even getting it right the second time is a cra-shoot).

I mean I can just go on my own business experience so for me for the volume I do (about 100-125 books submitted per month) the QC has vastly improved since about summer 2022, and with the faster TaT's CGC currently has I can't complain personally.  99% of the books I am getting back from CGC are perfectly fine, and ready to be sold right away. I do personally inspect each book/case as I get them back to make sure there no major flaws/errors before I sell them. I had to wait a long time just like everyone else for a couple my ME's to come back, almost 2 months so trust me I get sometimes being frustrated, especially if they are personal books.  During Covid I was very frustrated.  I had to keep submitting and giving CGC cash advances for 4 months before I got books back again to turn them into income.  I had to weather the storm, etc.

So we disagree on their return policy, no worries.  For me 14-days is a reasonable time frame that gives me more than enough to time to mail any ME's back in, for others that may be not enough time.  The 14-days is probably in place because they want to cut down the unqualified ME's that they got bombarded with when they first introduced the free pre-paid shipping labels back to CGC.  It is what it is, so if enough people vote with their wallet then CGC could make some changes.  Best way to vote is with your wallet right?  My main issue is (not saying you) people here are are always complaining, but yet they still submit to CGC then profit on the very service they are constantly complaining about you know.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

To me, that's acceptable.  I have a number that have come back with a comparable scratch, as have I bought them at shows or online, and really am fine with it.  I think there's a middle ground here too.  Minor flaws, I am in total agreement not necessarily an ME.  It's still nice to have it disclosed as a buyer.  I actually am MORE LIKELY to buy secondary if someone says "small scratch top right corner," than if I think there is a scratch, but can't tell and not disclosed.  Many sellers simply don't respond when asked, and have gotten slabs with very severe scratches, one even with a chip out of the side that was not disclosed.  

However, that's going to be the rub.  In between the very minor issues like you posted, and the very egregious as others have posted including myself, the policy is ambiguous enough to put the onus further on the customer than on the business providing the service.  If there is a tiny scratch or 1mm newton ring, that's silly and they should reject it as ME.  But my concern is that will not be the case.  I could see them getting books like my Hulk 181 back I just posted, and saying "ahh, this is acceptable, it's not THAT bad.  I mean, it made it out of QC, so someone else thought it was fine too.

Again, my frustration is more with the QC, as Stefan_W said. I could send back a true ME, but frankly it's a lot of energy sending back, waiting, asking why it's so delayed, then praying it's actually corrected upon receipt (after 3 months).

The policy would be acceptable if were rarely needed.  Currently, it is not rare, even when taking out the "OCD ME."

I should be in charge of what is acceptable and what is not.

You would see absolute perfection in what is a true ME and what is an OCD nutjob. :rulez:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/18/2023 at 12:14 PM, skypinkblu said:

So if you got back a book that looked like this, you'd be fine with it?  Because I'm not all that fussy about grades, but I sent this one back. If it came like this now, I would have to pay to have it reslabbed, with no guarantees I suppose.

katykeene550001.thumb.jpg.6d908ec14b9ba0d553bed7ec20891487.jpg

I am saying I do not think they are capable of fixing it.  That has been my stance on Newton Rings.

If you don't like how any company handles it, vote with your wallet no?