• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't think CCS pressed my book...
4 4

15 posts in this topic

I sent in a ASM 129 for pressing and grading and it just got it back today.  Taking a look at the book there are many flaws that I feel should/could have been pressed out.  Is it worth contacting them?

• Administrator
On 5/26/2023 at 9:23 AM, Barth said:

Thanks everyone.

@CGC Mike I sent a email to Customer Service. If you could follow up that would be greatly appreciated. :foryou:

Hi

I'll just send an e-mail to the appropriate people, and see what they have to say.  It would be difficult for me to track down which customer service rep will be handling this.

Coming from someone who has spent literally thousands of dollars with CGC in the past year alone, this is not surprising. Sorry to say. However, I have been utilizing the services of @Tony S for C&P and then to CGC for grading and for the most part all is good!

Just had the same issue With a Wolverine book, But I afraid to deal with them on it expecting them to tell me I'm sol.  Got the book back almost two months ago now.

I take pics of all my books I send so I know what's on them.

The Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light scuffing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover

So I'm like.... I knew all that already, And the same defects that were there before I shipped to them are still there.

On 5/30/2023 at 2:25 PM, Deano73 said:

Just had the same issue With a Wolverine book, But I afraid to deal with them on it expecting them to tell me I'm sol.  Got the book back almost two months ago now.

I take pics of all my books I send so I know what's on them.

The Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light scuffing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover

So I'm like.... I knew all that already, And the same defects that were there before I shipped to them are still there.

I sympathize with your disappointment. But - you say "I knew all that already". An adequate understanding of CGC's grading standards would have resulted in NOT sending this book in. Pressing cannot fix light staining and light scuffing. Staining especially is a grade killer. The stains and scuffing no doubt limited the grade - whatever grade you received. "light spine stress lines" and "light bends"  to cover you can find on NM and NM+ books. If you get grading notes that is. A lot of 9.4 and better books that are not expensive or key don't have grading notes. 

So we don't want to see "light bends to cover" on pressed books. And in fairness I've cracked more than a few CGC graded books that had notes of light bends to cover. Only to find a perfectly flat cover. IDK - maybe the books flattened out in the slab. But for you and this book, this was just a poor pressing candidate. Do not send in books with cover scuffing and light stains on the cover - unless you will be happy with a book graded in the VF range. 

On 5/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, Barth said:

I sent in a ASM 129 for pressing and grading and it just got it back today.  Taking a look at the book there are many flaws that I feel should/could have been pressed out.  Is it worth contacting them?

Curious what grade the book is in.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, grayzr said:

Curious what grade the book is in.

Without being pressed it came back a 6.5

The book was not pressed, that was confirmed by CGC. I sent it back free of charge and it will be pressed and regraded. 

CGC pressing has fallen to substandard. Or perhaps the expectation from us is that they do more when they quite simply do not. For example, the person who I have started trusting to press my comics uses a large press (no liquid involved) and will put books through multiple presses to get the results he deems acceptable. From my understanding, this attention to detail just is not applied by CGC. Unless someone at CGC can confirm they will sometimes press a book multiple times and are paying this much attention, I think they just have trained people popping books in and out all day, the more the better because it lessens the queue. 

I am happy to be wrong about this but until I see evidence otherwise, CGC does the quick press that because it makes the average collector happy and many books better....however it does leave a handful of books that require more time. Again, part of it is what you pay for (you will likely pay a competent private presser more....if its the same or less, they probably are doing the same thing). If they charged more well maybe it would indicate a level of time was put into the operation and process.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/9/2023 at 7:34 AM, Barth said:

Without being pressed it came back a 6.5

The book was not pressed, that was confirmed by CGC. I sent it back free of charge and it will be pressed and regraded. 

That concerns me. I had one last year that I thought the same thing but did not question it. Wish I would have now. They really need to update the Status Tracking "Status". "Received at CCS" should be "Received at CGC" then a CCS when it actually goes to CCS to be pressed. Should also be a "Scheduled for Signing" on the SS series and everything should flow the actual way it happens to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.