• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Lose Commission Requests and Alienate People
5 5

76 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2023 at 9:44 AM, Funnybooks said:

image.png.b08d5612b5028115df5d4f1cc80ffd9e.png

How is this offensive?

How would you like to get this job offer:

"We're offering you this job because our first 5 candidates turned us down and while we don't think you're really qualified, we desperately need a warm body and you're the next best thing.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:36 PM, tth2 said:

"We're offering you this job because our first 5 candidates turned us down and while we don't think you're really qualified, we desperately need a warm body and you're the next best thing.

sign me up lol

On 5/27/2023 at 9:36 PM, tth2 said:

oeOjtph.gif.e7957e2add10bd2a8f81441818de2a8c.gif

On 5/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeesh. This “artist” is completely unprofesssional. His rationale is completely and utterly superfluous. 

Whining, explaining negative scenarios, getting butt-hurt: reactions I expect from a 12 year old who doesn’t want to mow the lawn, not from a grown man who apparently has a job in this field. The customer has absolutely no need to know your personal problems and issues with your profession.

If you don’t want to deal with people, stop answering emails. It’s that simple. If you can’t handle your artsy feelings getting hurt or you can’t handle if someone “offends” you, you should probably not be talking to the public. There is zero excuse for this kind of response.

I’m sorry for being all judg-ey on this particular topic, but this was my wheelhouse for 20+ years, and treating a client or customer like that was unacceptable. I am not a fan of artists that can’t keep themselves together enough to talk to the people wanting to give them business.

Seems like the artist thanking someone for their interest and saying they aren't accepting commissions because of work deadlines would be a more reasonable response.

The artist probably misread your message. You could have clarified with him that the next best thing was a commission and not him,  instead of "sorry, did that come off as offensive", which probably only confirmed his inaccurate interpretation.  Nonetheless based on what the artist posted, he seems to at least take his commissioning very seriously. Who knows, maybe once u clarify with him, could turn out to be a marvellous commission. Tho I wouldn't have the cojones to do it. 

On 5/28/2023 at 3:38 AM, barneythecantankerous said:

I'm grateful at least one person understood my messages! But it's interesting so many also read into it wrongly, like the artist. 

But to anyone didn't understand, yes, the "next best thing" was a commission, not him as an artist.

This is clearly what was written in your response...free of malice or malicious intent.  Apparently, this artist* did not receive enough hugs from his mother as a child.
What gives this artist the right to go off on an egomaniacal diatribe towards a person who sincerely asked him for a commission because he likes his work? 

*must be related to Michael Golden

Evan Williams Parenting GIF by Ovation TV

On 5/27/2023 at 8:36 PM, tth2 said:

Anyone with a scrap of ambition or confidence would take the job and show them that they were the best choice despite being picked last. I know it sounds like something from a motivational poster, but that right there is what's wrong with 95% of everyone: taking more time to whine about a perceived slight than taking the initiative and excelling. It's a job. Take it and perform it like a professional.

On 5/28/2023 at 3:04 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Anyone with a scrap of ambition or confidence would take the job and show them that they were the best choice despite being picked last. I know it sounds like something from a motivational poster, but that right there is what's wrong with 95% of everyone: taking more time to whine about a perceived slight than taking the initiative and excelling. It's a job. Take it and perform it like a professional.

The artist's already got a job.  What was being offered to him was some side-work that, from the sound of it, he doesn't really need . . . or want.

Edited by The Voord

On 5/28/2023 at 8:20 AM, The Voord said:

The artist's already got a job.  What was being offered to him was some side-work that, from the sound of it, he doesn't really need . . . or want.

I was talking about tth2s example he set forth about taking a random job offer (of any job). As for the commission, I agree - it sounds like he doesn't need it or want it, which is something he just needed to keep to himself.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 5/28/2023 at 3:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I was talking about tth2s example he set forth about taking a random job offer (of any job). As for the commission, I agree - it sounds like he doesn't need it or want it, which is something he just needed to keep to himself.

Maybe Tim was talking about a Kitchen Porter's job in his analogy?

R.jpg.fc63b6db30711ee6e38fd608294a02a0.jpg

:jokealert: