• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLink June 7 auction thread
4 4

93 posts in this topic

VERY strong auction all around.  The Harley first appearance pieces really went wild!  Congrats to the buyer(s)!  I have looked for pages from that issue for the last three years, and these are the first I've seen with Harley on them.  The realized prices blew my bids out of the water.  

This auction was great for a few reasons.  First, it is nice to see CLink produce some strong results as competition is good the market, even with selling platforms.  Second, the last few auctions felt light (due in large part to the pieces offered), and it is awesome to see confidence in the hobby.  Felix's Tradd drop for Dr. Strange art, CAF Live, and now CLink all seemed strong, and I am looking forward to the upcoming Heritage event.

On 6/7/2023 at 7:14 PM, artdisease said:

They didn't 

I wonder if they were trying for them, or just wanted the main signed cover. Do you know who won the signed cover?

On 6/8/2023 at 7:17 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I wonder if they were trying for them, or just wanted the main signed cover. Do you know who won the signed cover?

I do not. I won the Vader cover. Which is the one i liked most, signatures or not. If the signatures on the others were on the empty space on the bottom, I would have gone after those and probably lost.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:45 PM, Brian Peck said:

Bloom County with Bill/Trump in every panel went strong $3100.

Best Bloom County I have seen in a long time. Loved the Bill with Trump's brain series.

Is that strong? The two dailies I saw that sold in 2022 (one at Heritage, one at ComicConnect direct sale) both cracked $4K.  

On 6/8/2023 at 12:48 AM, Xatari said:

Felix's Tradd drop for Dr. Strange art, CAF Live, and now CLink all seemed strong, and I am looking forward to the upcoming Heritage event.

I'm wary of assessing the whole hobby based on the bidding of the wealthy. I believe the many unsold pieces on Bill's CAL show over the past six months, the six months of weak CLink auctions for mid/low end pieces, the 5500+ unsold pieces on CAF Live and the recent CC auction are a much better gauge of where we are right now in the larger market. Perhaps it is a glass half empty perspective, but to me it indicates a stressed buyer for the sub $10K space.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 6/8/2023 at 6:06 AM, G.A.tor said:

Thanos quest cover at 140,144. 
Im a surfer only kind of guy, so I didn’t bid (was other considerations as well why) but man, I really liked it

They were great! For some reason, it never clicked that they were by Starlin.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

The 5500 unsold pieces in cal? Did you expect a sell out??? Lol… ten + percent of the art being sold (plus more that wasn’t marked sold which I know for a fact as my piece I bought still isn’t marked sold) is a fantastic mark. And over 1.2 million of sales that weekend with the top piece 27k (I could be off slightly as I’m working from memory) is astounding. Your hammering the Caf Live is baseless and actually does not support your sky is falling outlook. 

I did not say the sky is falling. I do see quite a lot of art in the mid to low end which would have sold at xxx price in 2020-2021 is either seeing lower prices in auctions or going unsold by direct sellers. It's simply a market correction in progress.

Btw the statistics from CAF Live are just that, numbers. They don't imply any criticism of CAF or Bill, they just tell me sellers are overpricing a lot of art. To me, this is no longer the overheated 2020-2021 market and sellers need to recognize that.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I did not say the sky is falling. I do see quite a lot of art in the mid to low end which would have sold at xxx price in 2020-2021 is either seeing lower prices in auctions or going unsold by direct sellers. It's simply a market correction in progress.

Btw the statistics from CAF Live are just that, numbers. They don't imply any criticism of CAF or Bill, they just tell me sellers are overpricing a lot of art. To me, this is no longer the overheated 2020-2021 market and sellers need to recognize that.

I agree there is a correction on low end art happening as it was being pulled up by overzealous collectors who couldn’t source better pieces… but your CAL example holds no water as there were just as many “unsold” pieces at the height you speak of. Belaboring that point does reflect negatively on CAL as the metrics are similar to past events even without considering that there were no 6 figure pieces sold this time around. 

On 6/8/2023 at 6:49 AM, artdisease said:

I do not. I won the Vader cover. Which is the one i liked most, signatures or not. If the signatures on the others were on the empty space on the bottom, I would have gone after those and probably lost.

You got the best Star Wars cover of the three. Congrats. 

On 6/8/2023 at 11:12 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I agree there is a correction on low end art happening as it was being pulled up by overzealous collectors who couldn’t source better pieces… but your CAL example holds no water as there were just as many “unsold” pieces at the height you speak of. Belaboring that point does reflect negatively on CAL as the metrics are similar to past events even without considering that there were no 6 figure pieces sold this time around. 

Perhaps it is time to pay closer attention to sub markets instead of referring to things like “low end” art or “high end” art. Viewed through prisms of different vintages, publishers, artists or subjects, were there any consistent threads? What about the independents or non-superhero art? Personally, I don’t care for most silver age art; too much of it is in relatively small static panels and as compared to the age of collectors, is getting kind of old. Other people revere it.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, Bronty said:

Seems like it DID sell for a healthy amount to me.    Got essentially the exact same all-in amount a year later in a down economy.      That's about as good as you could really hope for.

Not really, you’re not factoring in commissions, inflation and other costs

On 6/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not really, you’re not factoring in commissions, inflation and other costs

Well, from my perspective, you're not factoring in that I don't give a hot turd sandwich how he or she did.    The strength of the market, and how the consignor did or didn't do, are two different conversations.  

Edited by Bronty