• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.Gerber Fullback Standard Size.
2 2

36 posts in this topic

Has anyone opened a new batch of E.Gerber Standard size fullbacks? I recently picked up 200 and they are thinner than the original Standard Size Fullbacks. I know they have delay issues and they even had brown backs last year. They’re putting out bad quality these days. I was surprised at how thin and flimsy these are. It’s frustrating when these were the best and now who knows if E.Gerber can deliver good quality products anymore. 

2FD4F06B-7EE7-4421-B76F-C017D8A72866.jpeg

I just checked, and the old ones were listed as being 42 mil thick...while the new ones say they are 35 pt thickness.

A pt and a mil each represent 1/1000th of an inch.....so they are definitely making them thinner.

You mentioned they had brown backs last year.  Have they changed it back to making both sides white?  Their website still mentions them as having "one side white".

Edited by Domo Arigato

That's really unfortunate. 

I held out because I didn't really see how they were worth so much more...until I finally used some.   Then I bought more, maybe 5 packs along with Mylite2's.

Still have 3 or 4 unopened all white, 42 mil, full backs from early-covid.  Might just send them into CGC when they start grading backing boards.  Because we know they will.  👍

These also have some very light browning. They are not bright white like the pre-Snap Covid batches. I don't know of any replacements for these. Because of the reduction in thicknesses, these bend easily. This could bend your book if you're not paying attention when bagging and boarding. I had to lay these out and bend them to a flat shape before I add a book to them. It's getting frustrating. I use these when mailing my books to CGC. I wonder what CGC does to all the boards once they get them? @CGC Comics How about a refurbished or lightly used batch of Pre-Snap E. Gerber full-backs? I would pay a reduced rate to get mine all back with my shipments. 

On 6/5/2023 at 11:04 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I just checked, and the old ones were listed as being 42 mil thick...while the new ones say they are 35 pt thickness.

A pt and a mil each represent 1/1000th of an inch.....so they are definitely making them thinner.

You mentioned they had brown backs last year.  Have they changed it back to making both sides white?  Their website still mentions them as having "one side white".

Great feedback. They're not brown anymore however they are also not bright white. There's a hint of light brown in them. 

I was super bummed after getting my shipment of full-backs mainly because of the bendability. I would be fine with a brown back and a thinner board, but there is little difference between the full and the half-backs anymore. I have always been baffled how they are the only ones providing these critical supplies to the community. I know there are some other Mylar bag distributors, but it is always hard to get acid free boards or paper products. E. Gerber used to offer these great acid-free boxes that they sourced, but they stopped offering them around pandemic times.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:57 AM, Grey 5 said:

I was super bummed after getting my shipment of full-backs mainly because of the bendability. I would be fine with a brown back and a thinner board, but there is little difference between the full and the half-backs anymore. I have always been baffled how they are the only ones providing these critical supplies to the community. I know there are some other Mylar bag distributors, but it is always hard to get acid free boards or paper products. E. Gerber used to offer these great acid-free boxes that they sourced, but they stopped offering them around pandemic times.

In another thread, someone posted about using a  Gerber halfback on top of a ComicPro 56pt board for supersolid support plus full acid-buffering. 

On 6/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, jcjames said:

In another thread, someone posted about using a  Gerber halfback on top of a ComicPro 56pt board for supersolid support plus full acid-buffering. 

Yup.  That 56 pt board is bomb proof, so any acid-free board over the top works. 

Would it be necessary to put in two of the new full backs in one Mylar? Would putting in a book make it too tight? Would one need a new fullback and a halfback be about the same as an old fullback? I ask because I am thinking about placing an order. 

On 6/8/2023 at 9:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Would it be necessary to put in two of the new full backs in one Mylar? Would putting in a book make it too tight? Would one need a new fullback and a halfback be about the same as an old fullback? I ask because I am thinking about placing an order. 

I wonder that too, but then I have a paper cutter/guillotine which solves all those problems. You can buy a good one for under $50. I was using it to trim FB 750s when I put away a bunch of 80 page giants just the other night - removing an 1/8 inch of the FB makes them fit just right in 775 M2.

Hmmm, glad I got some when I did I guess. They have the brown backs which really isn't bothering me too much. Thinner is another story...

Two thinner boards don't provide the same rigidity as one thick one. The last time the topic came up, someone explained why in detail using carpentry as an example but by search-fu is weak today. If only we had an expert like @BlowUpTheMoon available, but he's probably busy making Power Girl having a pillow fight with the Black Cat while Julie Newmar and Scarlett Johansson share a bunch of grapes covers with AI.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:04 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Yup.  I still have some I bought a long while back and they were 42 pt (these were before the brown backs).  Are the brown backs only buffered on one side or something?

On 6/8/2023 at 5:14 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Two thinner boards don't provide the same rigidity as one thick one. The last time the topic came up, someone explained why in detail using carpentry as an example but by search-fu is weak today. If only we had an expert like @BlowUpTheMoon available, but he's probably busy making Power Girl having a pillow fight with the Black Cat while Julie Newmar and Scarlett Johansson share a bunch of grapes covers with AI.

Spoiler

_f4854fd5-277c-4649-bcc9-b836e7c83c4a.thumb.jpg.3a39295869f28538d57757764683b33d.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.d95c37e3e2b05ac5def7e424ef357d7a.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon