• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear Marvel, You Suck.
2 2

59 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I don’t believe it’s permanent.

Even if it's not - they have really buggered pretty much everything about Frank Castle. Admittedly, I haven't read a Punisher comic since Punisher Max: The Platoon - but there's a baseline for Punisher fans to be able to relate to the character, and they've trashed it - and I'd agree with the article: it sounds like it was on purpose. 

Marvel Comics clearly no longer wants to be associated with in this day and age where the imperative is staying as far away from controversy as possible.

Good luck with that.  As long as they continue to put out comics and movies, controversy will follow.

Edited by s-man

I recently stopped buying new Marvel books. I now buy only deeply discounted raw BA and SA for future CGC grading. Bargains!!!!

I also stopped watching Disney or buying anything Disney. Maybe they will get the idea to leave my Marvel characters alone.  I am the reader who buys their books or does NOT buy their books...or movies.  Now I do not buy their new books. Maybe I should not see their movies either.

I like back issues better anyway.

When Jason Aaron wrote 'Scalped' I thought the was going to be an real innovator of storylines moving forward.

It's so sad he has now become just another Marvel drone,  towing the 'safe' lines.

It would be brilliant if Marvel sold the IP for Frank Castle / Punisher to another company.  

Jon Berthnal got this character spot on in the TV show, and rekindled interest in old fans, and gained new ones.

With Frank teaming up with DD in the new series - what's the point of dumping Frank now?

It's comics for goodness sake, not the real world - if peeps don't like it, they won't buy it.

I have COVID so sorry if this post makes no sense.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:06 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm sad over this news, and disappointed that it took me 5 days to read what is arguably the lamest handling of an entertainment property since Firefly and The Lone Gunmen.

https://screenrant.com/punisher-more-marvel-gets-rid-most-controversial-character/

This doesn't sound like a typical cash-grab "death of" thing. They have seemingly carped on and wiped their rear ends with the entire legacy of Frank Castle - from his origin, to his motivations, to his relate-ability - right down to reworking his logo into something absolutely atrocious because they think a fractional minority could take control of an entire almost 50 year brand identity. Stupid, and I hope everyone at Marvel gets the  "Baby Shark" song stuck in their head for the rest of their life.

He's literally set to appear in the new Daredevil series.  This is just a case of poor writing/editorial.  He'll be back with a classic logo at some point.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:45 AM, ExNihilo said:

He's literally set to appear in the new Daredevil series.  This is just a case of poor writing/editorial.  He'll be back with a classic logo at some point.

Right. I read this Aaron series and thought it was pretty good, with an epilogue that left an opening for the next writer to take the character in pretty much any direction. Seems like Aaron did an effective job getting attention on his book.

I'm gonna be honest, pretty much all comic books have sucked since about 2018, so this doesn't really move a needle for me. I'm sure that they're hoping the PR will garner some sales, and then I'm guessing that they're hoping the reboot will do the same. It would take some balls to kill the character 'for good'.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm gonna be honest, pretty much all comic books have sucked since about 2018

You don't read indys?

On 6/8/2023 at 6:42 AM, Ryan. said:

You don't read indys?

IDK if SIKTC is an indy, but I did read and enjoy the first 15 issues of that. To your point, though, I haven't read many indy comics. My attack was meant mainly for Marvel/DC.