• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I remember when the San Diego comic con was only comic books, and I was in heaven.
1 1

77 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, MattTheDuck said:

You guys are making me nostalgic for something I didn't even experience.

I was lucky enough to be born at a great time and lived in a wonderful place. I could get in my car and after an hour or so drive be in comic book heaven.

You folks probably have good cons where you lived but SDCC was just something special back in the day. 

On 6/13/2023 at 12:50 AM, Mmehdy said:

I believe I went from #2 on.....

1- to address you comment...it was NEVER just about comic books, it was people first like Bruce Hamilton who had Cap#1 for sale at SDCC#2 for the large price of $250, having breakfast with the King in those early early days. We were there for the comic books, we knew a good thing early on...that comic books and art are vastly underpriced and very under appreciated   that there is true real value in these timeless collectables. 

But as  look back on it, it was the people. the collectors the different persons both in size and shape and politics that really stood out. That is what I remember the most....meeting Dawn the girl in the picture and wondering  what my life would have been if we got married and yet she lived in SD and me in Sacramento ....well so be it. We  collectors were a odd in way....but we really really were ahead  of our time.

I can honestly say, it that comic book collecting has guided me  thru life  to be a better person, a more understanding person in accepting people for who they are and to go back in time and really give thank how truly innocent the world was in 1972..1973

Today, you just cannot find that type of personal one on one contract with 120,000 people.  The boards are a best thing to happen to help collectors today.

I will say this for the current naysayers....there still is a group of people who still hang out there and it is still worthwhile to attend. I will be there at preview night and hope to say hi to a number of collectors and friends I see every year.

It  is different, bigger but still has a place in my heart and until they carry me out feet up...I am still going despite the high cost. Forget about the money...you can make money....memories are priceless 

FYI...I had very good taste in 1972 or 1973 both comics and ....well....

Seriously, the best comments and insights I, at least, have read from you here on these boards Mr. Mehdy !  :golfclap: 

On 6/14/2023 at 12:13 AM, Primetime said:

Here’s a fabulous trio @G.A.tor @hockeyboy13 and Harley (thumbsu

Might be circa 2003?

IMG_2842.jpeg

Great shot, thanks! I have bought lots of books from those gentlemen. I remember when G.A.tor was just a young guy just starting out in the biz.  :preach:

Sadly, Rick, like so many other great dealers, rarely do West Coast shows like SDCC…:sorry:

I will try to dig out some old photos of SDCC. Was a lot more trouble because you had to have an actual camera with you. I also lost a bunch of them in a house fire many years ago but still might have some. 

I’ve been waxing about the SDCC lately. Almost considering trying it again. Then I noticed a post over in General by someone offering a 4 day pass + preview night for $1,200. Yes twelve hundred dollars! JUST TO GET IN. Is this for real?

Granted, it’s been a few years since I have been. But I believe it was $250 for a dealer’s pass I got from a friend who used to set up there before he gave it up. I usually only went Thurs and Friday. Slightly steep to me even then. I guess I’m really out of touch now. 

I can’t even imagine what 4 days at this con would cost me now to rub elbows with the great unwashed. 

Hear that sound? It’s Shel Dorf trying desperately to scratch his way out of his box…

IMG_6932.gif

On 6/14/2023 at 6:46 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve been waxing about the SDCC lately. Almost considering trying it again. Then I noticed a post over in General by someone offering a 4 day pass + preview night for $1,200. Yes twelve hundred dollars! JUST TO GET IN. Is this for real?

Granted, it’s been a few years since I have been. But I believe it was $250 for a dealer’s pass I got from a friend who used to set up there before he gave it up. I usually only went Thurs and Friday. Slightly steep to me even then. I guess I’m really out of touch now. 

I can’t even imagine what 4 days at this con would cost me now to rub elbows with the great unwashed. 

Hear that sound? It’s Shel Dorf trying desperately to scratch his way out of his box…

IMG_6932.gif

this will be a good year to get in....lot of tickets for sale

On 6/14/2023 at 10:30 AM, Robot Man said:

Great shot, thanks! I have bought lots of books from those gentlemen. I remember when G.A.tor was just a young guy just starting out in the biz.  :preach:

Sadly, Rick, like so many other great dealers, rarely do West Coast shows like SDCC…:sorry:

I will try to dig out some old photos of SDCC. Was a lot more trouble because you had to have an actual camera with you. I also lost a bunch of them in a house fire many years ago but still might have some. 

Admittedly it just isn’t cost effective for us anymore. But I still love to visit San Diego when I can (almost moved to Coronado after the hurricane 2018)

On 6/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

Bought mine for around $400 for all days + preview night

I went back and noticed the poster bought them on an eBay auction. No wonder the price. Is this something SDCC does? Very confusing. I mostly just go to buy comics. The total cost of doing this just isn’t worth it for me anymore. Hope you have a fun weekend. 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:20 AM, G.A.tor said:

Admittedly it just isn’t cost effective for us anymore. But I still love to visit San Diego when I can (almost moved to Coronado after the hurricane 2018)

Yeah, Your concerns have been voiced to me by a lot of dealers. Many bigger dealers were splitting booths even back when I eventually stopped going.  I think a lot of dealers can write off a lot of their expenses and look at it as a vacation. The show always had a different vibe so different than any other show. 

On 6/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, Mmehdy said:

this will be a good year to get in....lot of tickets for sale

That doesn’t bode well for them. Tickets, pre Covid, were impossible to get. I went to WonderCon a few months ago. Zero crowds and you just walk up any day and buy a ticket. But there were VERY few vintage comic dealers. Was fun for a single day though. 

On 6/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, Robot Man said:

I didn’t post those pictures of Mitch to mock or embarrass him. Just to show the fun, innocent times when SDCC was just so great.

I remember carpooling down from LA with friends. Paying the nice old lady at a card table my $5. Weekend pass. Piling a bunch of us into an El Cortez room. Eating at Denny’s because it was close and cheap. Away from our parents staying up late, drinking beer, smoking weed and playing poker with comics as chips. Hanging around the pool in the evenings listening to Kirby, Eisner and others swapping stories. And spending every dime I had in the dealer’s room.

One year I spent half of my entire budget on a GA Flash #1. Had to think long and hard about it. I was “the man” with my buddies. :roflmao:

Great times that are gone forever…

Were there ever conversations along the lines of 'I wonder where the hobby might be in 50 years time?'

On 6/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

Were there ever conversations along the lines of 'I wonder where the hobby might be in 50 years time?'

Not by me or anybody I knew. Most of us never figured we would still be collecting that long. We were “in the moment” and enjoying it to the fullest.